Tired of Handouts

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Tired of Handouts

Postby Mastercraft69 » Dec 28th, 2017, 9:04 am

Wow just finished watching BCTV and the tent city issue there. I have to say I am sick and tired of the freeloaders expecting the working class people to support them their whole life!! I work, pay taxes, support the economy and pay a mortgage. Who helps me?? ME! Then I learn there is a new housing development at 425 Leon Ave paid for by tax dollars through BC Housing. So being the curious type I walked through the doors the other day and would suggest anyone that lashes out at me for this post to do the same. Absolutely disgusting !!! Want to shoot up walk on in!! No registration required. How does this help the people with addiction recover??? I'm completely shocked the City of Kelowna allows free use of any narcotic you want within the open market on Leon.

6 people like this post.
Mastercraft69
 
Posts: 72
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 28 posts
Joined: May 8th, 2005, 8:50 am

Re: Tired of Handouts

Postby Catsumi » Dec 28th, 2017, 9:12 am

This is the NEW Canada where anything goes.
Last edited by Catsumi on Dec 28th, 2017, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is nothing government can give you that it hasn't taken from you in the first place.
Winston Churchill

4 people like this post.
User avatar
Catsumi
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2966
Likes: 3385 posts
Liked in: 2456 posts
Joined: May 24th, 2017, 8:26 pm

Re: Tired of Handouts

Postby AlienSoldier » Dec 28th, 2017, 9:36 am

We've tried the hard method where we restrict people, put them in jail force them into treatment center.

This isn't a "new" method, this is, "we've tried your way, so lets try something different" method. It means respecting people, not isolating them or forcing them and dealing with the underlying issues.

Like neutering pets, you won't see the benefits today, maybe 5 10 years from now. Give it time.

Also, those "handouts" are societies safety nets, we all get them directly or indirectly. If your Canadian and went to university or college, you were compensated to some degree. If you collected benefits on your tax returns or had kids, governments gave you money. Collecting CPP, OAS, etc., same thing. Those safety nets are what as made this country great and they should be in place.

9 people like this post.
AlienSoldier
Fledgling
 
Posts: 291
Likes: 51 posts
Liked in: 214 posts
Joined: Oct 30th, 2017, 11:53 am

Re: Tired of Handouts

Postby artistwithaflare » Dec 28th, 2017, 9:38 am

Mastercraft69 wrote:Wow just finished watching BCTV and the tent city issue there. I have to say I am sick and tired of the freeloaders expecting the working class people to support them their whole life!! I work, pay taxes, support the economy and pay a mortgage. Who helps me?? ME! Then I learn there is a new housing development at 425 Leon Ave paid for by tax dollars through BC Housing. So being the curious type I walked through the doors the other day and would suggest anyone that lashes out at me for this post to do the same. Absolutely disgusting !!! Want to shoot up walk on in!! No registration required. How does this help the people with addiction recover??? I'm completely shocked the City of Kelowna allows free use of any narcotic you want within the open market on Leon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Walking into a shelter was brave of you!
...did to talk to anyone in charge? How many volunteer hours did you sign up for?
Only those who work in Outreach (the other side of the fence) know whats really going on!
I learnt first hand that substance abuse is an epidemic(everywhere!) so, expecting the homeless shelters to ban it is impossible! This is a way of life for many(unfortunately). Drug addicts attract other users and all the users attract the dealers! I witnessed this first hand! When the 'clean' homeless come in for help they are terrified about spending any time in or even near a shelter!! so, they avoid them all together! These are the vulnerable homeless that need help!
Not everyone is asking for a hand out(or, on drugs)....some people just need help.
EVERY community offers REHAB but, the addicts need to do all the work. As we look(and pay!) for solutions to this problem; we need to also see the reality. Nothing is going to change but we will keep spending tax dollars to make it look like we are helping. Grand Standing makes our officials look good! But, who are we actually helping?????????????
Just say it as it is!

3 people like this post.
artistwithaflare
Fledgling
 
Posts: 250
Likes: 486 posts
Liked in: 168 posts
Joined: Oct 6th, 2013, 5:08 pm

Re: Tired of Handouts

Postby WalterWhite » Dec 28th, 2017, 9:57 am

It's only going to get worse - but it could be a lot worse here than it is. Christmas Day downtown LA on Skid Row:

Forget Cialis, Viagra, or Levitra. When you need to get it up fast - reach for new and improved Westcorp. Proud official suppliers of Basran's *bleep*
WalterWhite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1997
Likes: 1587 posts
Liked in: 2529 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 4:56 pm

Re: Tired of Handouts

Postby LANDM » Dec 28th, 2017, 10:17 am

WalterWhite wrote:It's only going to get worse - but it could be a lot worse here than it is. Christmas Day downtown LA on Skid Row:


It’s basically a clean, less problematic version of East Hastings.

3 people like this post.
LANDM
Guru
 
Posts: 6291
Likes: 1687 posts
Liked in: 3252 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 11:58 am

Re: Tired of Handouts

Postby jimmy4321 » Dec 28th, 2017, 10:22 am

IF churches or places of worship are still property tax exempt in BC or have ANY sort of TAX exemption, they should provide a roof over their heads overnight.
Most these churches are planted on prime property.

3 people like this post.
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3937
Likes: 1054 posts
Liked in: 1817 posts
Joined: Jun 6th, 2010, 5:40 pm

Re: Tired of Handouts

Postby JayByrd » Dec 28th, 2017, 10:54 am

Mastercraft if you indeed set foot in this facility, I'm surprised you'd refer to it as a housing development when it is in fact a shelter. Or maybe to you the terms are interchangeable, fair enough.

And it's not meant to get people off drugs, it's meant to keep them alive and somewhat safe.

There are people and organizations that help the homeless in our community not by trying to get them off drugs (it won't work) or telling them to "straighten up and fly right". They simply aim to be compassionate and ease suffering. They realize that people are going to "do what they do" regardless, so they simply offer some safety and support. If you think this effort is wasted or counter-productive, you're not alone.

As for every church turning their space into a homeless shelter, it's a good idea in theory, but I'm not sure the logistics of it hold up. Our churches do quite a bit to help the suffering and the underprivileged in our communities, though maybe not as much as some expect.

And finally, to the OP, the homeless population doesn't "expect" handouts from your hard-earned tax dollars blah blah blah. But they take advantage of what's offered. If you had to choose between sleeping beside a dumpster, or in a shelter, what would you do?
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
JayByrd
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3319
Likes: 645 posts
Liked in: 1358 posts
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Re: Tired of Handouts

Postby the truth » Dec 28th, 2017, 11:03 am

Mastercraft69 wrote:Wow just finished watching BCTV and the tent city issue there. I have to say I am sick and tired of the freeloaders expecting the working class people to support them their whole life!! I work, pay taxes, support the economy and pay a mortgage. Who helps me?? ME! Then I learn there is a new housing development at 425 Leon Ave paid for by tax dollars through BC Housing. So being the curious type I walked through the doors the other day and would suggest anyone that lashes out at me for this post to do the same. Absolutely disgusting !!! Want to shoot up walk on in!! No registration required. How does this help the people with addiction recover??? I'm completely shocked the City of Kelowna allows free use of any narcotic you want within the open market on Leon.


agree 100% , and you are 100% correct
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

voice of reason likes this post.
User avatar
the truth
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 15355
Likes: 10116 posts
Liked in: 6069 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: Tired of Handouts

Postby the truth » Dec 28th, 2017, 11:09 am

artistwithaflare wrote:
Mastercraft69 wrote:Wow just finished watching BCTV and the tent city issue there. I have to say I am sick and tired of the freeloaders expecting the working class people to support them their whole life!! I work, pay taxes, support the economy and pay a mortgage. Who helps me?? ME! Then I learn there is a new housing development at 425 Leon Ave paid for by tax dollars through BC Housing. So being the curious type I walked through the doors the other day and would suggest anyone that lashes out at me for this post to do the same. Absolutely disgusting !!! Want to shoot up walk on in!! No registration required. How does this help the people with addiction recover??? I'm completely shocked the City of Kelowna allows free use of any narcotic you want within the open market on Leon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Walking into a shelter was brave of you!
...did to talk to anyone in charge? How many volunteer hours did you sign up for?
Only those who work in Outreach (the other side of the fence) know whats really going on!
I learnt first hand that substance abuse is an epidemic(everywhere!) so, expecting the homeless shelters to ban it is impossible! This is a way of life for many(unfortunately). Drug addicts attract other users and all the users attract the dealers! I witnessed this first hand! When the 'clean' homeless come in for help they are terrified about spending any time in or even near a shelter!! so, they avoid them all together! These are the vulnerable homeless that need help!
Not everyone is asking for a hand out(or, on drugs)....some people just need help.
EVERY community offers REHAB but, the addicts need to do all the work. As we look(and pay!) for solutions to this problem; we need to also see the reality. Nothing is going to change but we will keep spending tax dollars to make it look like we are helping. Grand Standing makes our officials look good! But, who are we actually helping?????????????


you say --every community offers rehab but the addicts need to do all the work--- god forbid they have to do something for themselves
you say --when the clean homeless come in for help they are terrified--- well you got that right, yes we should help the homeless, but the criminal junkies, no
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

voice of reason likes this post.
User avatar
the truth
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 15355
Likes: 10116 posts
Liked in: 6069 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: Tired of Handouts

Postby trapp » Dec 28th, 2017, 11:17 am

AlienSoldier wrote:We've tried the hard method where we restrict people, put them in jail force them into treatment center.

This isn't a "new" method, this is, "we've tried your way, so lets try something different" method. It means respecting people, not isolating them or forcing them and dealing with the underlying issues.

Like neutering pets, you won't see the benefits today, maybe 5 10 years from now. Give it time.

Also, those "handouts" are societies safety nets, we all get them directly or indirectly. If your Canadian and went to university or college, you were compensated to some degree. If you collected benefits on your tax returns or had kids, governments gave you money. Collecting CPP, OAS, etc., same thing. Those safety nets are what as made this country great and they should be in place.


Just to get the record straight CPP is not a handout, nor is it funded by government. It is paid for by working people and their employers. It is our (working people) money and it is our right to collect it at retirement.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

9 people like this post.
User avatar
trapp
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 967
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 329 posts
Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:16 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Tired of Handouts

Postby AlienSoldier » Dec 28th, 2017, 12:07 pm

trapp wrote:
AlienSoldier wrote:We've tried the hard method where we restrict people, put them in jail force them into treatment center.

This isn't a "new" method, this is, "we've tried your way, so lets try something different" method. It means respecting people, not isolating them or forcing them and dealing with the underlying issues.

Like neutering pets, you won't see the benefits today, maybe 5 10 years from now. Give it time.

Also, those "handouts" are societies safety nets, we all get them directly or indirectly. If your Canadian and went to university or college, you were compensated to some degree. If you collected benefits on your tax returns or had kids, governments gave you money. Collecting CPP, OAS, etc., same thing. Those safety nets are what as made this country great and they should be in place.


Just to get the record straight CPP is not a handout, nor is it funded by government. It is paid for by working people and their employers. It is our (working people) money and it is our right to collect it at retirement.


I was considering it a handout since it is similar to a tax on all who work. Some of us will get much more out of it than others since it is based not on what you put in but on your wealth and other investments when you retire. Also I put it in this category since it is the government that collects and manages the funds until they are paid out to the recipients.
AlienSoldier
Fledgling
 
Posts: 291
Likes: 51 posts
Liked in: 214 posts
Joined: Oct 30th, 2017, 11:53 am

Re: Tired of Handouts

Postby the truth » Dec 28th, 2017, 12:10 pm

where the junkies put in nothing and get, want everything for free
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 15355
Likes: 10116 posts
Liked in: 6069 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: Tired of Handouts

Postby Jonrox » Dec 28th, 2017, 12:19 pm

If the handouts were cutoff, I think a lot of you would be surprised at how much more you would in fact start paying as the long-term ramifications of doing so would eventually take hold. Healthcare and legal costs alone would skyrocket and you'd see an increase to your tax bill... not the other way around.
Jonrox
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3667
Likes: 383 posts
Liked in: 2079 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Re: Tired of Handouts

Postby the truth » Dec 28th, 2017, 12:27 pm

fyi ,already to late , like you said --hand outs, --- it should be hand up
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 15355
Likes: 10116 posts
Liked in: 6069 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Next

Return to Social Concerns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests