Tired of Handouts

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Tired of Handouts

Post by Treblehook »

A study of human nature will surely help to bring some clarity to the issue and maybe even help those decision makers to design the delivery of social services in a manner that actually ends up helping people accept responsibility for themselves and to become productive citizens. Handouts on their own are just another method of "enabling".
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Mastercraft69 wrote:So being the curious type I walked through the doors the other day and would suggest anyone that lashes out at me for this post to do the same. Absolutely disgusting !!!

I have. I don't think it's disgusting at all. There are of course some people taking advantage, like people do with every situation, but there are plenty of others who are just trying to stay alive and hopefully better their situations.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
Mastercraft69 wrote:So being the curious type I walked through the doors the other day and would suggest anyone that lashes out at me for this post to do the same. Absolutely disgusting !!!

I have. I don't think it's disgusting at all. There are of course some people taking advantage, like people do with every situation, but there are plenty of others who are just trying to stay alive and hopefully better their situations.

Letting people do heroin is not keeping them alive. It is killing them. Try to keep up
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

^this exact same discussion is in like a billion threads here. The whole point of providing clean needles and so on is to keep people from contracting deadly diseases or infections so they might stay alive long enough to be receptive to treatment. It's similar to giving people psychiatric drugs to calm them down enough so they can be receptive of talk-therapy methods to get their lives back on track.

Instead of just saying "no, you're wrong, get a clue" can you at least provide some evidence to back up your claim? Thanks.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:^this exact same discussion is in like a billion threads here. The whole point of providing clean needles and so on is to keep people from contracting deadly diseases or infections so they might stay alive long enough to be receptive to treatment. It's similar to giving people psychiatric drugs to calm them down enough so they can be receptive of talk-therapy methods to get their lives back on track.

Instead of just saying "no, you're wrong, get a clue" can you at least provide some evidence to back up your claim? Thanks.

Went to a funeral sunday befire Christmas. Lost my best friend to heroin. Add him to a long list of other friends and aquaintences . I dont really care what some doctor says. I can see whats happening
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Jflem1983 wrote:Went to a funeral sunday befire Christmas. Lost my best friend to heroin. Add him to a long list of other friends and aquaintences . I dont really care what some doctor says. I can see whats happening

The death of some friends, while tragic, is anecdotal evidence of people dying and does not prove or disprove anything except that people die.

I'd advise against not caring what doctors say. You do realize they've spent their entire lives studying, learning, and engaging in research projects? Perhaps they know what works and what doesn't?

But whatever, what do they know? Why don't we get rid of all these over-educated doctors and save millions in tax dollars? If people take care of themselves and say "no" to drugs then everything will work out.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Went to a funeral sunday befire Christmas. Lost my best friend to heroin. Add him to a long list of other friends and aquaintences . I dont really care what some doctor says. I can see whats happening

The death of some friends, while tragic, is anecdotal evidence of people dying and does not prove or disprove anything except that people die.

I'd advise against not caring what doctors say. You do realize they've spent their entire lives studying, learning, and engaging in research projects? Perhaps they know what works and what doesn't?

But whatever, what do they know? Why don't we get rid of all these over-educated doctors and save millions in tax dollars? If people take care of themselves and say "no" to drugs then everything will work out.

Yep. Say no to heroin u will probably live

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

maryjane48 wrote:
the truth wrote:ya thats it gimme gimme gimme, every thing for free :200: :cuss:

If you dont like itbmove to dofferent country .its the way addiction is going to be dealt with and homelessness from now on . Crying on a forum does nothing but make yourself look silly

you mean like you and your rcmp bashing everyday,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

The issue with people using drugs can start from many things. Some get addicted because they are over prescribed, others are born into families and never had a chance and others fell into the life style due to choices or events in their life.

Getting back to the original post regarding housing for homeless and the fact that people are doing drugs within the shelters which scares off other people who want help is not a problem, its an opportunity. If people are buying drugs in and around shelters than maybe the police should be finding who is selling these drugs in close proximity to shelters and start dealing with the dealers. The shelters could give police a potential advantage.
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

Mastercraft69 wrote:Wow just finished watching BCTV and the tent city issue there. I have to say I am sick and tired of the freeloaders expecting the working class people to support them their whole life!! I work, pay taxes, support the economy and pay a mortgage. Who helps me?? ME! Then I learn there is a new housing development at 425 Leon Ave paid for by tax dollars through BC Housing. So being the curious type I walked through the doors the other day and would suggest anyone that lashes out at me for this post to do the same. Absolutely disgusting !!! Want to shoot up walk on in!! No registration required. How does this help the people with addiction recover??? I'm completely shocked the City of Kelowna allows free use of any narcotic you want within the open market on Leon.

I find this very hard to believe,somebody just cant walk in there and look around.A person has to be a registered guest there and produce a card proving that they do stay there.The general public cant just walk in off the street and go shoot up,pull your head outta your *bleep* mastercraft cause your story has many holes in it.
Not PC

Post by Not PC »

Jonrox wrote:If the handouts were cutoff, I think a lot of you would be surprised at how much more you would in fact start paying as the long-term ramifications of doing so would eventually take hold. Healthcare and legal costs alone would skyrocket and you'd see an increase to your tax bill... not the other way around.

No, the junkies would just die. A win-win.

They're going to anyway, sooner or later.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

bjsilent wrote:
Mastercraft69 wrote:Wow just finished watching BCTV and the tent city issue there. I have to say I am sick and tired of the freeloaders expecting the working class people to support them their whole life!! I work, pay taxes, support the economy and pay a mortgage. Who helps me?? ME! Then I learn there is a new housing development at 425 Leon Ave paid for by tax dollars through BC Housing. So being the curious type I walked through the doors the other day and would suggest anyone that lashes out at me for this post to do the same. Absolutely disgusting !!! Want to shoot up walk on in!! No registration required. How does this help the people with addiction recover??? I'm completely shocked the City of Kelowna allows free use of any narcotic you want within the open market on Leon.

I find this very hard to believe,somebody just cant walk in there and look around.A person has to be a registered guest there and produce a card proving that they do stay there.The general public cant just walk in off the street and go shoot up,pull your head outta your *bleep* mastercraft cause your story has many holes in it.

o yes you can just walk in , i think your the clueless one, there's a reason why people od there everyday,there's a reason why junkies shot up there everyday
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
al56kelman

Post by al56kelman »

So the government is urging us to not feed the wildlife.
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#215062
So what would happen if we apply the same principles to the homeless that we do to wildlife?
Sounds kind of darwinian and cruel, but natural selection can take care of the homeless problem on its own. Don’t feed the wildlife, don’t enable the homeless. Heartless perhaps, but pragmatic. Survival of the fittest.
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

al56kelman wrote:So the government is urging us to not feed the wildlife.
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#215062
So what would happen if we apply the same principles to the homeless that we do to wildlife?
Sounds kind of darwinian and cruel, but natural selection can take care of the homeless problem on its own. Don’t feed the wildlife, don’t enable the homeless. Heartless perhaps, but pragmatic. Survival of the fittest.

I think a slightly less Darwinian, but still pragmatic apporoach would not be reviving them 3x a day after overdosing.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Disgusting, human beings are not "wild life." What are you thinking?

That's so stupid.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Social Concerns”