Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Trapper

Post by Trapper »

Why do we always get news updates on people abusing the 911 number? We never get any news regarding what the local police number is. I know there are a lot of silly calls to 911 and the local police number (If you can find it) but complaining doesn't help anything. Why don't we have a universal Police number. Ie: 811 or 711 or anything else as easy to remember as 911. Stop overloading the 911 system by giving people an easier alternative. Canada wide might be a good idea. Even the forest fire hotline have their own number. Why can't the police?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: 911

Post by Bsuds »

Their number is 250 762 3300 and has been for decades. It is the non emergency number and is easy to find (Google).

With it being for "non" emergencies then it shouldn't be a panic for you to look up so why would you need a "special" number that's easy to remember?

If it's a concern for you then program it into your phone for future use. Problem solved.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Trapper

Post by Trapper »

I agree with your logic but I think the 911 operators that I know may disagree. Human nature is lazy and 911 gets overloaded because of it. The people calling 911 don't care because they always get redirected. So many things are easy in this world if you are willing to make a small effort. A large percentage of people arn't willing to make that effort and 911 suffers for it. Is it possible that the current system doesn't work that well no matter how easy some of us perceive it to be?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

True and maybe those that abuse the system should be fined.
Trapper

Post by Trapper »

George Carlin once wrote: Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that.
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

Perhaps this is an opportunity to use AI to benefit the police and reduce unwarranted calls? Artificial Intelligence is already used by banks to direct calls and support staff regarding issues. 911 could potentially use it in a similar manner.
Trapper

Post by Trapper »

AI could be a great choice (Not counting the learning curve) to protect us from ourselves. :)
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/214952 ... call-9-1-1

If brains were dynamite some people couldn't even blow their nose.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

If stupidity was a criminal offence, some would get life.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

alanjh595 wrote:If stupidity was a criminal offence, some would get life.

They did already. They will be stupid for life.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

But since "stupid" don't know they are, or don't care not much of a punishment. Complaining about the bad job the nail tech did was a classic example. Few times I called 911 I was placed on hold
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

GordonH wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/214952/Worst-reasons-to-call-9-1-1

If brains were dynamite some people couldn't even blow their nose.

people are sooooooooooooooooo f :cuss: stupid
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

the truth wrote:
GordonH wrote: If brains were dynamite some people couldn't even blow their nose.

people are sooooooooooooooooo f :cuss: stupid

Stand back! there is going to be an explosion :digging:
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I have called 911, non- emerg numbers, and crimestoppers on several occasions. I avoid them like the plague now. It is almost impossible to communicate with them and in many cases it seems their main goal is to forward you to someone else so they don't have to deal with anything themselves.
I have had 30 years in emergency services and I am still amazed at how some dispatch systems function.
Black Dogs Matter
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

dogspoiler wrote:I have called 911, non- emerg numbers, and crimestoppers on several occasions. I avoid them like the plague now. It is almost impossible to communicate with them and in many cases it seems their main goal is to forward you to someone else so they don't have to deal with anything themselves.
I have had 30 years in emergency services and I am still amazed at how some dispatch systems function.

Haven't called Crimestoppers in years. I do remember getting a bunch of one-word responses when I did.

Never had a bad experience with either 911 or the non-emergency number, and I do end up calling a handful of times a year.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.

Return to “Social Concerns”