How the OIL SANDS benefits all of Canada

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: How the OIL SANDS benefits all of Canada

Post by LTD »

Corneliousrooster wrote:
vegas1500 wrote:
So you’re against the oil sands.....where do you live? Just curious.

Irrelevant - I would be against this if ANY country thought this was a good idea, just embarrassed that it is mine.

Human nature is the path of least resistance and the fear of change - I get that. Just tired of the same defeatist arguements like " do you drive?" "Do you use plastic?" " if you do you can't argue against it". - I am a product of the world that I was brought up in and still I can see the stupidity of it and refuse to condone it, even if it needs to be tolerated for the time being. I just hope the next generation is not as ethically bankrupt as mine and the ones before me. What a mess we are continuing to pass down the line. But yeah let's collectively pat ourselves on the back because some gloves are made in bc that are used in the oilfields so the economic benefits must outweigh the lack of logic or evolution ...

no one forces you to use anything made from oil its just easier for you to be a hypocrite than live oil free
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

LTD wrote:no one forces you to use anything made from oil its just easier for you to be a hypocrite than live oil free

Thanks for being the "case in point" I was referring to.... to be able to function in the 1st world it is IMPOSSIBLE to live oil free - not by my design.

I live by example to the best I can, in the environment I live in. I teach my kids to use common sense over convenience. I also teach them to focus their energies away from people that add to the conversation in the way that you have as it is not worth it.

You can be a defeatist and continue to suckle off the teat of society or you can put forth even an iota of effort to compromise your convenience for what may benefit the greater good of a future generation.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

its not impossible to function its to inconvenient for you
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

LTD wrote:its not impossible to function its to inconvenient for you

I agree.....and as long as myself, friends, family and good people on here are employed by the oil industry, I will support it 100%. If that means buying “things” made out of plastic, then so be it. The oil industry and its spin offs have made Alberta and the rest of Canada a fantastic place to live..
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

I don't really think it is fair to say it would be "inconvenient" to live without oil and its by-products. More like unrealistic
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Please explain to me how it is possible to function then smartypants? - i would never get to read your pearls of wisdom if it was not for oil.

At no point have I said that ALL oil and oil based products need to be eliminated (that is your extreme generalized assumption) - everything is fine in moderation - gluttony is the bigger problem

My initial argument is the stupidity of sending the worlds most difficult to extract raw crude to the other side of the planet and then patting ourselves on the back because there was some sort of economic "benefit" - somehow because i disagree with this stupidity i should have to live without oil....... :cuss:
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

vegas1500 wrote:I agree.....and as long as myself, friends, family and good people on here are employed by the oil industry, I will support it 100%. If that means buying “things” made out of plastic, then so be it. The oil industry and its spin offs have made Alberta and the rest of Canada a fantastic place to live..

Absolutely nothing wrong with supporting the industry - just have a conscience at some point to realize that not ALL oil is GOOD oil. There are important things made of plastic and then there is complete junk crap. Supporting something blindly just because someone is employed in the industry doesn't make a lot of sense.

Alberta and the rest of Canada were fantastic places to live before there was an oil industry - no need to give credit where it is not due.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

move to the bush and live off the land no oil required . as far as exporting oil why not ? whats the problem? if other countries wish to purchase it good that's what makes the economy go round and round creates jobs
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Absolutely nothing wrong with supporting the industry - just have a conscience at some point to realize that not ALL oil is GOOD oil.

So .... Canada has oil that Canadians can use , but we don't . Canada won't build more pipelines because they pollute the environment and won't ship by tanker to other markets because there might be a spill on our coast line .... So instead we pay MEGA for Saudi oil...

How ON EARTH does it get here ?

How is shipping ours to a few foreign markets AND using it domestically make it BAD oil in comparison to having middle eastern oil being shipped half way across the globe into the same ports AND piped to "us" across the nation make that GOOD oil ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

LTD wrote:move to the bush and live off the land no oil required . as far as exporting oil why not ? whats the problem? if other countries wish to purchase it good that's what makes the economy go round and round creates jobs

The only reason countries 1/2 way around the world want OUR oil is because we are giving it away for peanuts. The lives that the oil workers (I am generalizing here) build for themselves from the profits of oil are unsustainable. When the price of oil dropped and 1/2 of Alberta started crying that they couldn't pay their mortgage or make their truck payments - zero sympathy here. The market has picked up a bit again and many of them are back in the field. The ones I know have not changed their lifestyle 1 iota - you can't eat money and a lack of budgeting should not need be sympathized by the rest of the country.

I am glad you are such a big supporter of "made in China" - it is a big boon for our economy....
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

MAPearce wrote:
So .... Canada has oil that Canadians can use , but we don't . Canada won't build more pipelines because they pollute the environment and won't ship by tanker to other markets because there might be a spill on our coast line .... So instead we pay MEGA for Saudi oil...

How ON EARTH does it get here ?

How is shipping ours to a few foreign markets AND using it domestically make it BAD oil in comparison to having middle eastern oil being shipped half way across the globe into the same ports AND piped to "us" across the nation make that GOOD oil ?

Canada harvests far more oil than we consume - so we can sell it for peanuts.

Shipping Saudi oil here is just as stupid as Canada shipping over seas (especially when they have their own oil supplies over there) this just highlights the stupidity of the "global market". It does not make their oil "good" and our oil "bad" - it just means the whole system is highly inefficient and built on short sighted $$$ not common sense.

The cost and effort of extracting oil in the sands should be explanation enough in defining the difference between good and bad.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Mods can you please shut this down...I totally don’t intend this for an oil bashing thread but some can’t comprehend that. Thanks
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Canada harvests far more oil than we consume - so we can sell it for peanuts.

Fair enough , but we still pay a premium at the pumps AND still "put our coast lines at risk" weather we buy or sell ?

something aint right there ...

Oil sands does benefit all of Canada however , this realization isn't benefiting Canadians as much as it could or should .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
spooker

Post by spooker »

vegas1500 wrote:Mods can you please shut this down...I totally don’t intend this for an oil bashing thread but some can’t comprehend that. Thanks

Be careful what you wish for ... topics such as oil are very polarizing and will always attract people to speak out either for or against ... by posting an article promoting the good in oil written and published by the oil industry it will of course bring out the masses
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

Oil sands as with manufacturing, finance, health car and IT support hundreds of jobs and is beneficial to our economy.

The people who are opposed to oil sands should be more interested in the cutting of forests as that not only destroys the landscape but affects animals, natural beauty and the long term health of the planet just as much as the oil sands.

Return to “Social Concerns”