80 yrs old working

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: 80 yrs old working

Post by Bsuds »

alanjh595 wrote:Retirement is not all that it is cracked up to be.

Yes it is and if you are not enjoying yours then you are doing it wrong! (or don't have enough money to do what you like :biggrin: )
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Retirement is not all that it is cracked up to be.

Yes it is and if you are not enjoying yours then you are doing it wrong! (or don't have enough money to do what you like :biggrin: )

I have the money, my retirement came rather suddenly and premature. I feel like an old horse that has been kept in a barn for most of my life and then one day, somebody left the door open.......now I have the freedom, but I don't know what to do next.
Bring back the LIKE button.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I feel badly for those who MUST.. as for something to do? what, there are no volunteer jobs? I cringe when I get the greeter who usually has no idea where anything is. Alan if you bored I have oodles of house projects :)
And yea I will get bashed but at a point there are some who really shouldn't work.. who wants to complain about some Senior? So we don't and they keep that job.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

[quote="normaM"] Alan if you bored I have oodles of house projects :)
/quote]
Don't do it Alan, don't do it !
And then would come the lists...soon followed by the nagging...
You'd wish for the peace and quiet of pacing the floor again.... :biggrin:

:runforlife:

:topic:

I know one ol codger, I'd guess mid 80's.
I'm sure he would not have survived this long if he didn't get up and go to work.

He makes his own schedule and the Company is just fine with that.
He still puts in bigger, more productive days than those many years his junior.
But,
If he feels like doing something else, he does.
Last edited by dirtybiker on Jan 6th, 2018, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I retired fully in 2003 and have not been bored since. I kept my electrical license in case I want or need to work. I've done a bit of piece work for neighbors, family etc but not really work. Maintain our home, cars, RV, woodworking, wood carving, travel a bit of volunteering, at the gym, never a dull moment. If someone "wants" to work that is fine but I do feel that if someone has worked hard all their life it should not be necessary for them to work to survive in their old age. I know many would disagree but even though I loved my work I would never want to do it as my entertainment now I am retired. Been there done that, there is away too much to do, see and enjoy to spend time working. We are enjoying some of the best times in our life and are even able to do some of it with our family. Camping, boating hiking, travel together whenever possible. They even visit us in Yuma and use us as a home base for sightseeing. Just so much to do it is fantastic and we will enjoy it as long as possible. I can't even imagine working. Plan ahead, think of things you always wanted to do and figure out how to do them.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

If you want to see a good mix of young and old working really well together pay a visit to Lakeview Market grocery store on the corner of KLO and Pandosy. I love that store ! It stills remains "small town" with a mix of all ages of people working there. There are a few elderly women at the tills that have been there for longer than some of you have been alive and quite often I see the younger staff asking for their help when they don't know something. It's quite refreshing to see. And those older staff -man! they're on it - they know their stuff ! And I would imagine quite valued hopefully.

If I were to win the lottery I would have absolutely no qualms about quitting my job. If I had lots of money I would volunteer for causes I support. It would keep me busy & I'd still have time for gardening, travel, etc. I have always said that people that say they wouldn't change a thing if they win the lottery are idiots. That's the reason you BUY the ticket in the first place ! To change your life ! Otherwise why buy the ticket? People should have to sign a waiver when they buy lottery tickets...if you don't plan to change YOUR life or someone else's you can't have the ticket ! [icon_lol2.gif]
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

What's all this business about the wife?

That part's a joke ....

Right Momma ?!Momma is what I call my wife and now I'm digging myself out of a hole , because she trolls my posts.....

And I don't think she knows how to " expand " the font to read this ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

MAPearce wrote:
What's all this business about the wife?

That part's a joke ....

Right Momma ?!Momma is what I call my wife and now I'm digging myself out of a hole , because she trolls my posts.....

And I don't think she knows how to " expand " the font to read this ...

Ahemmmm....Momma is what I call my wife and now I'm digging myself out of a hole, because she trolls my posts.....
I don't thinks she knows how to "expand\" the font to read this...

Glad I could help.... [icon_lol2.gif]
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Thanks....... Thanks A LOT db....

db now means dirty basterd and NOT dirtybiker....

Now I'll be working til I'm 90 ..........
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

:raspberry: wait, that ain't right ...I mean... :sosorry:.... :138:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

dirtybiker wrote:Ahemmmm....Momma is what I call my wife and now I'm digging myself out of a hole, because she trolls my posts.....
'k that was my smile for the night....and I could read the small font...lol at MAPearce :)
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Fancy wrote:
dirtybiker wrote:Ahemmmm....Momma is what I call my wife and now I'm digging myself out of a hole, because she trolls my posts.....
'k that was my smile for the night....and I could read the small font...lol at MAPearce :)

Damn you Fancy ... DON'T tell Momma.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

(never) I figure since I just retired (cough cough) I'll weigh in here. Wouldn't mind still working as I have enjoyed every job/career I've had but circumstances led me to decide the time is right to figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life.
Hmmmm, still trying to figure it out. When I'm 80 I hope I'm of the frame (hopefully in good shape) and mind (still can work it) that will enable me to still "work" as a volunteer that is so desperately needed in so many areas. Right now I'm having a hard time getting all the things I want to get done done in a day. Go figure.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

My grandpa worked until the age of 88 as a lawyer. No one considered it sad.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Nothing sad about working in the later years if those folks choose to. It's commendable.

Return to “Social Concerns”