I love climate change

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: I love climate change

Post by Glacier »

MrBrocksEgo wrote:Its deceptive because it hides the actual numbers behind vague percentage values designed to look really small against a number thats in reality growing up. That graph is just there so people can point at it and go "see insurance claims as a portion of gdp are going down. Which ignores the fact that the amounts of the insurance claims are growing hugely, but world gdp has gone up significantly faster than that. All I was getting at is that the insurance claims as a percentage of GDP number is vague and misleading as it lets gullible people believe nothing is wrong.

Well, if something is wrong, you actually have to show with data that something is wrong. Insurance claims are growing because more people have insurance than before. You couldn't even get flood insurance a few years ago, and now it's widespread.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Which is what I did with the math in the previous post I made.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

MrBrocksEgo wrote:Which is what I did with the math in the previous post I made.

Math is great, but your data doesn't make sense. We have way more stuff and way more wealth today than 30 years ago. Therefore, even if floods, etc. haven't increased, you would expect to get way more insurance claims and losses. That's why you use GDP, because GDP accounts for the increased wealth.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Exactly thats why I calculated out the actual dollar amounts of insurance claimed as a percentage of world wide gdp. Even if you factor in more stuff being insurable I don't think it will negate the 90%ish (by dollar amounts) increase in worldwide natural disaster insurance claims since 1990.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

MrBrocksEgo wrote:Exactly thats why I calculated out the actual dollar amounts of insurance claimed as a percentage of world wide gdp. Even if you factor in more stuff being insurable I don't think it will negate the 90%ish (by dollar amounts) increase in worldwide natural disaster insurance claims since 1990.

What the hell are you talking about, Mr. Brock? Just use CPI instead of GDP? Okay, don't forget to adjust for inflation.
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

- Douglas Murray

Return to “Social Concerns”