51141
52222

New rules cost Calgary restaurateur $11K for stat holiday pa

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: New rules cost Calgary restaurateur $11K for stat holida

Postby Jflem1983 » Jan 12th, 2018, 11:32 am

LTD wrote:I wouldn't get off my couch for 25 an hour



Lots of people wont. But they are not the ones who need work either
We don't reach for handouts we reach for those who are down . "Garth Brooks "

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
MAKE ALBERTA GREAT AGAIN

LTD likes this post.
User avatar
Jflem1983
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3073
Likes: 5476 posts
Liked in: 1747 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: New rules cost Calgary restaurateur $11K for stat holida

Postby Bubalouie » Jan 12th, 2018, 12:19 pm

must be nice to have that option, 25 an hour would be almost double what i make now

SuperMom likes this post.
User avatar
Bubalouie
Guru
 
Posts: 7894
Likes: 155 posts
Liked in: 420 posts
Joined: May 18th, 2005, 8:33 am

Re: New rules cost Calgary restaurateur $11K for stat holida

Postby Jflem1983 » Jan 12th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Bubalouie wrote:must be nice to have that option, 25 an hour would be almost double what i make now



Jesus. That is horrible. U probably know u r worth more.
We don't reach for handouts we reach for those who are down . "Garth Brooks "

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
MAKE ALBERTA GREAT AGAIN
User avatar
Jflem1983
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3073
Likes: 5476 posts
Liked in: 1747 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: New rules cost Calgary restaurateur $11K for stat holida

Postby Bubalouie » Jan 12th, 2018, 1:08 pm

Yup for sure.
User avatar
Bubalouie
Guru
 
Posts: 7894
Likes: 155 posts
Liked in: 420 posts
Joined: May 18th, 2005, 8:33 am

Re: New rules cost Calgary restaurateur $11K for stat holida

Postby Omnitheo » Jan 12th, 2018, 1:38 pm

I’m curious where this 11k comes from.

Most restaurants don’t pay their staff all that well, relying on tips. But let’s imagine they were getting payed at the $25 an hour some are mentioning in this thread (note it would have to be one hell of a restaurant for this to be the case).

25/hour at OT pay would be 37.5
8 hours of OT would then be $300

So in order for the restaurant to spend 11k in staff holiday pay, it would need to have 36 full time employees. Seems high. Some McDonald’s have about that many employees, but the majority being only part timers or employees otherwise that would not qualify for a full 8 hours of OT. Additionally they make typically min wage.

According to Glassdoor. Executive chefs tend to make a 50k salary. Which is roughly 24/hour. This means that the majority of employees would be under 25/hour

Glassdoor also shows that the majority of waiter positions in Calgary are 11-15$/ hour or possibly salaried up to 25k.

At these rates, looking at the high end of pay, that would be 22.5/hour or 180 for 8 hours. At these rates it would take 61 full time employees.

Is this a single restaurant or a franchise? These numbers seem awfully high.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

Jflem1983 likes this post.
User avatar
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3697
Likes: 5369 posts
Liked in: 2653 posts
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 9:10 am

Re: New rules cost Calgary restaurateur $11K for stat holida

Postby Omnitheo » Jan 12th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Found some more information. So it’s 2 restaurants, and his total staff is 140. Suffice to say these are not full time staff otherwise the 11k would result in their regular wages being only $6/hour

Either way for that number of employees, is this really an abnormally high amount to pay to be labour compliant? Also with 140 employees are they really a “small business”? I get that 11k for one day sounds like a lot, but let’s look in context:

If 11k is the expense for a stat day, it would mean regular daily expense would be 7.3k. The restaurants are open 6 days a week, resulting in 313 days which would be ~2.3 million in annual salaries. Out of that, the extra 50k a year in holiday pay he’s projecting really doesn’t seem like much...in fact it’s basically an increase in expenses of 2.1%

Sounds like he’s a very successful businessman. But I can’t see how a 2% difference in expenses is going to break any business. Particularly if you’re doing this well.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

dominik likes this post.
User avatar
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3697
Likes: 5369 posts
Liked in: 2653 posts
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 9:10 am

Re: New rules cost Calgary restaurateur $11K for stat holida

Postby rustled » Jan 12th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Omnitheo wrote:Found some more information. So it’s 2 restaurants, and his total staff is 140. Suffice to say these are not full time staff otherwise the 11k would result in their regular wages being only $6/hour

Either way for that number of employees, is this really an abnormally high amount to pay to be labour compliant? Also with 140 employees are they really a “small business”? I get that 11k for one day sounds like a lot, but let’s look in context:

If 11k is the expense for a stat day, it would mean regular daily expense would be 7.3k. The restaurants are open 6 days a week, resulting in 313 days which would be ~2.3 million in annual salaries. Out of that, the extra 50k a year in holiday pay he’s projecting really doesn’t seem like much...in fact it’s basically an increase in expenses of 2.1%

Sounds like he’s a very successful businessman. But I can’t see how a 2% difference in expenses is going to break any business. Particularly if you’re doing this well.

The 7.3k per day figure seems quite high to me. Would that be the figure if all 140 staff members work on any given day he's open? This seems unlikely, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

2 people like this post.
rustled
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4719
Likes: 6285 posts
Liked in: 4882 posts
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Re: New rules cost Calgary restaurateur $11K for stat holida

Postby Omnitheo » Jan 13th, 2018, 10:49 am

You’re right, I’m thinking bc laws of 1.5x pay on works hours. Thank you for making me check it over again.

Reading the AB laws again, here’s how it’s supposed to be calculated:
“Starting Jan. 1, "the new law states that every employee in the business now receives five per cent of their last four weeks gross pay on the stat holiday”

So 11k/140
$78 per person for the day. Which means their average across 4 weeks is $1,560 (78x20 to find the 100%)
From here I can find an average wage is of 9.75 which seems quite normal for a restaurant. (Though not important to the rest of the equation).

We know that they are working enough to result in 11k being paid, which means that on average each employee is making 1,560 over 4 weeks (obviously some are not working on a given day and others are paid more than 9.75, but this is just averaging it)
As they are closed 1 day a week, this means that the 4 week average is split into 24 days. That’s an average of 65$ a day per employee. Or $9,100

Which means the average daily expense is even higher than originally calculated. Resulting in yearly expense of 2,848,300
Meaning that the 50k projected over the year is actually only an increase in expenses of 1.76%

Please if you see a problem with my math or how I’m calculating things let me know.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
User avatar
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3697
Likes: 5369 posts
Liked in: 2653 posts
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 9:10 am

Re: New rules cost Calgary restaurateur $11K for stat holida

Postby rustled » Jan 13th, 2018, 11:33 am

Hm. I think you'd need to factor in the EI, CPP, WCB and any other payroll-related cost to the employer? Those may be included in the $11K figure as well, reducing the corresponding gross pay of the employees.

It's an interesting exercise, isn't it?

3 people like this post.
rustled
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4719
Likes: 6285 posts
Liked in: 4882 posts
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Re: New rules cost Calgary restaurateur $11K for stat holida

Postby Jhunter199 » Jan 17th, 2018, 6:57 pm

Omnitheo wrote:I’m curious where this 11k comes from.

Most restaurants don’t pay their staff all that well, relying on tips. But let’s imagine they were getting payed at the $25 an hour some are mentioning in this thread (note it would have to be one hell of a restaurant for this to be the case).

25/hour at OT pay would be 37.5
8 hours of OT would then be $300

So in order for the restaurant to spend 11k in staff holiday pay, it would need to have 36 full time employees. Seems high. Some McDonald’s have about that many employees, but the majority being only part timers or employees otherwise that would not qualify for a full 8 hours of OT. Additionally they make typically min wage.

According to Glassdoor. Executive chefs tend to make a 50k salary. Which is roughly 24/hour. This means that the majority of employees would be under 25/hour

Glassdoor also shows that the majority of waiter positions in Calgary are 11-15$/ hour or possibly salaried up to 25k.

At these rates, looking at the high end of pay, that would be 22.5/hour or 180 for 8 hours. At these rates it would take 61 full time employees.

Is this a single restaurant or a franchise? These numbers seem awfully high.


Its calculated by 5% of each employees combined last 4 weeks of work.
Jhunter199
Fledgling
 
Posts: 207
Likes: 211 posts
Liked in: 229 posts
Joined: Apr 18th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Re: New rules cost Calgary restaurateur $11K for stat holida

Postby Omnitheo » Jan 17th, 2018, 7:57 pm

Yep, I address that in a later post and recalculate with that info.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
User avatar
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3697
Likes: 5369 posts
Liked in: 2653 posts
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 9:10 am

Previous

Return to Social Concerns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests