New vehicles and gas mileage

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: New vehicles and gas mileage

Post by Bsuds »

JLives wrote:
Bsuds wrote:That means nothing without knowing how many liters the tank holds.

My truck tank holds 142 liters so that would be pretty bad for it.

It's an 80 litre tank.

Which makes it approx 23l/100k which is around the same as my Diesel.
Not great.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

HCCI engines are suppose to be coming 2018/2019 which bring around 30% better fuel economy, like diesel, but use gas. Mazda and nissan have plans to bring this to market.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

Jlabute wrote:HCCI engines are suppose to be coming 2018/2019 which bring around 30% better fuel economy, like diesel, but use gas. Mazda and nissan have plans to bring this to market.

Never heard of HCCI before, seems pretty neat. It's basically a gas engine with the feature of a diesel (compression = ignition). I wonder how well that would work in the long term?

If i could get an electric vehicle that handles and looks as good as my coupe then hells yeah i would make the jump to electric. The tesla cars are pretty sweet, but eh i don't have the cash to dump on a vehicle like that.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

TheBoss wrote:Basically the cost of a new vehicle isn't worth it. Sure you get tons of great safety features a car that looses half of it's value the moment you first start it up and drive off of the lot. Also some of the newer cars are just boring econo boxes.

You seriously believe the value is half the moment you drive a new vehicle off the lot :biggrin: Sure wish I could find someone who wants to sell their 1 week old vehicle. :smt045
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

GordonH wrote:My very first vehicle sniffed out gas stations & rarely passed them, had under the hood 351 Cleveland with a 4 barrel carb.

I believe that, Ford just seems to suck in that department.

I used to have a 77 Ford Pickup once upon a time, and whenever I'd go on a road trip with my buddy, who drove a Chevy pickup, he'd give me a hard time, because I always had to stop for fuel, when he still had a third of a tank.

Sure shouldn't have been the engine size as he had a 350CI Chevy and I had a 351CI Ford Windsor motor.

Long story short we installed a Rochester carburetor (what Chevy used) on the Ford along with custom fabricated linkage and the thing suddenly got just as good a fuel mileage as the Chevy. In fact with my foot in it on the highway it still did 20mpg.

Jeeps seem to me to be hard on fuel too, as my Liberty sucks more gas with a 3.7L engine, than my Chevy work truck which has a 4.3L motor, and always has about 600lbs of parts in the bed.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Yep, carburettors can make a huge difference. I have a small car which does about 20-ish mpg (imperial) running a pair of weber DCOEs and would do at least 30mpg on a single well setup SU carb. It would also make at least 10% less power, sound boring and be far less fun to drive, which is part of why it would be more fuel efficient.

Return to “Social Concerns”