New vehicles and gas mileage

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
TheBoss
Fledgling

New vehicles and gas mileage

Post by TheBoss »

My old town car on the display it stated i was averging about 10-12L/100KMs, Backed that number up by tracking fuel mileage and etc. My 92 thunderbird SC gets an average of 13-16l/100kms, could be a bit better.
My moms dodge journey gets on average 11-12l/100kms.
Are newer vehicles a scam in terms of gas mileage? My two older vehicles, one with a v8 and the other a supercharged v6 on average get damned close to the journeys fuel milage. Was the cash for clunkers program a scam to get people into a newer vehicle to uptick cars sells?

Also newer vehicles aren't the same as the older ones, simple to use climate controls that don't require you to fiddle with a touch screen, No electronic nannys well besides abs. Just a simple car, that requires you to pay attention to everythign around instead of relying on sensors.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: New vehicles and gas mileage

Post by GordonH »

My vehicle is around 10 years old, this past summer went on a road trip to the prairies. Got hwy 5.3L/100 Km, of course chances are being 4 cylinder it's not your type.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

The Dodge Journey does get around 12L/100km, which is terrible, but it's not an efficient vehicle. It has a fairly powerful engine, moving a lot of weight and it's far from aerodynamic. The Challenger and Chargers, which are closer in size and shape to the Thunderbird, give a significantly better 10.3L/100km with the same engine as the Journey (about 70hp more than the Thunderbird). There are cars out there around 8l/100km that aren't slow, but fuel economy improvements are generally incremental and only applicable if comparing like with like. The GMC Safari, sort of similar to the Journey, got about 15L/100km, and was much slower at the same time.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Until lately the main difference between a $60k truck and a $10k truck was $50k and a couple mpg's .

Now if you opt for an eco motor coupled with the fancy schmancy trans you get way better milage
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

jimmy4321 wrote:Until lately the main difference between a $60k truck and a $10k truck was $50k and a couple mpg's .

Now if you opt for an eco motor coupled with the fancy schmancy trans you get way better milage

Had 2 rams. A 2014 and a 2016. Both loaded . Both had the 8 speed etc.

Mileage still sucked.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Can we talk in miles per gallon please? I have my abacus ready. I love V-8 engines and couldn't live without one really. But, I also love American Graffiti.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

j watson wrote:Can we talk in miles per gallon please? I have my abacus ready. I love V-8 engines and couldn't live without one really. But, I also love American Graffiti.

Okay, my post works out to 53.5 mpg (imperial gallon)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

U.S. gallons just won't do.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

j watson wrote:U.S. gallons just won't do.

Well you said you were an American Graffiti fan.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

My 2013 F150 with the 5.0L v8 gets about 12L/100km on the highway and 16L/100km in the city.

I was pretty impressed with that considering my little 2003 dodge neon only got 9/12. I was expecting a bigger drop moving from a little 4cyln car to a fullsized pickup with a v8.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

TylerM4 wrote:My 2013 F150 with the 5.0L v8 gets about 12L/100km on the highway .

I'm doing good if I get double that with my F350 DRW Diesel when towing! :-X
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

My old jacked up 4x4 with 40 inch tires and a bored out 454 with dual carbs does not get good mileage.
Black Dogs Matter
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Me thinks several things will give varying mileage numbers. The final axle ratio is one. Years ago I had two Suburbans,( mid 90's vintage) one with a 4:10 and the other with 3:83 I believe. At 100 kph, the engine speed was lower with the 3:83's and managed a bit better mileage.
VW Passat wagon awd with the 300 hp V6( chipped) and I managed an average of 10 L/100kms. Currently, 295 HP Golf R(awd) and manage 9.4 L/100 kph. I believe 9.4 L/100 kms is about 30 imp. mpg.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/201 ... /index.htm
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

dogspoiler wrote:My old jacked up 4x4 with 40 inch tires and a bored out 454 with dual carbs does not get good mileage.

I don’t know what kind of gas mileage my 2016 red Genesis Coupe gets.
When she needs gas, I feed her fuel. When we get on the road, I let her run.

I don’t know if the red color helps with mileage or not :138:
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

Basically the cost of a new vehicle isn't worth it. Sure you get tons of great safety features a car that looses half of it's value the moment you first start it up and drive off of the lot. Also some of the newer cars are just boring econo boxes.

Return to “Social Concerns”