Horse Slaughter for food

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Horse Slaughter for food

Post by Fancy »

chippermonkey wrote:There is a hidden horsemeat industry running out of Canada that the public is unaware of.Horse slaughter is banned in the United States for a good reason yet Canada allows it.

Horse pucky - it's been in the media for years and read the article I posted about the US.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
chippermonkey

Post by chippermonkey »

You’d be surprised lots of people don’t know
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

chippermonkey wrote:You’d be surprised lots of people don’t know
Not surprised but that would be their own fault - can't help those that don't read the news - pays to pay attention. It's not a hidden industry.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Years ago I was informed that horseflesh was the main constituent in dawg and kat food.

If wrong, then what is? If cattle are being raised specifically for that purpose, then we have major competition for our most favoured source of meat protein. The Amazonian rain forests are regularly destroyed to raise cattle and after that, the land is pretty much useless as it's been trampled and quickly becomes barren as the soil depth is so shallow.

If it is true, then we are feeding horses to our ever increasing number of carnivorous house pets.

Just a thought. :135:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

chippermonkey wrote:You’d be surprised lots of people don’t know

Having read your rather long post I came away feeling there's lots you don't know about it either.

I read the links Fancy provided, and had you read those, you'd be aware just how strictly the slaughtering is monitored, with zero tolerance for meat that tests positive for veterinary drugs, not to mention that the horses are checked out before even being stunned, to identify those that may have been drugged.

Frankly I wonder if beef is monitored that closely.

I also have to wonder if anyone who brings the Bible into the discussion, suggesting horses are forbidden, also happens to eat pork? :biggrin:
Last edited by Urban Cowboy on Jan 18th, 2018, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Made this image called "No difference" years ago as part of a project I was working on that never came to fruition.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm smart enough to realise that killing an animal is what it is, no matter what the animal.

I think back to the outrage when all those dogs were found dead in Whistler... people are very selective about when they care and it seems to often boil down to what they can stomach, and less what is "right".

Interesting, but sad.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

We eat meat. That is the only excuse for ending an animal’s life. And we have a responsibility to do so humanely.

None of those dogs in whistler were killed for food. They were just killed because they were inconvenient.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Omnitheo wrote:We eat meat. That is the only excuse for ending an animal’s life. And we have a responsibility to do so humanely.

None of those dogs in whistler were killed for food. They were just killed because they were inconvenient.

eating the meat AND using the other materials for things like clothing. No sense only using the meat.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Omnitheo wrote:We eat meat. That is the only excuse for ending an animal’s life. And we have a responsibility to do so humanely.

Personally, I agree that [for food] is a good justification to kill an animal but that doesn't necessarily make it moral. My point was only that I don't agree with how people base their beliefs around what animals should be killed and spared.

Horse meat is one of the best damn examples out there, second only maybe to dog meat.

Return to “Social Concerns”