Horse Slaughter for food

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Horse Slaughter for food

Post by Liquidnails »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#216463

If there's a market for the meat it seems a waste of perfectly good food to harvest these unwanted, even pestilent feral animals.

And why isnt this lady on a crusade to save cows, and lambs and chickens and pigs being saved from slaughter? What's the difference?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

BC Horse Angels?

Post by Urban Cowboy »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#216463

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers here, but after reading this article, though it did inspire sympathetic tendencies, I must say that in the end, the biggest thing I came away with was what I view as a rather important question.

That question being, why is the use of horses for food, considered to be so much worse than eating cows, pigs, sheep, deer, bear, elk, moose, chickens, turkeys, or name your animal, I'm sure you get my drift.

To my thinking they are all living creatures, and equally precious, so is this crusade justified because someone happens to like horses the best?

There are people who have pigs as pets, cows as pets, lambs as pets, and again I'm sure you get my drift.

Why isn't she running around buying up cows headed for slaughter?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
jessica01

Horses slaughtered for food

Post by jessica01 »

I am SO confused on why people are all up in arms about saving horses when we slaughter billions of pigs, cows and chickens? Whats the difference? They're all living, breathing animals. Why save one species and murder others? Humans are so messed up. If slaughter houses had glass walls...
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Horses slaughtered for food

Post by TreeGuy »

Welcome to the forums Jessica!

Have you met a horse person?

B226B427-65B1-4C96-845A-97237375EA89.jpeg
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Re: Horse Slaughter for food

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

So what of horses? Those dependable, faithful, human companions, who drag our carts, pull our buggies, and run our races? Why not eat them? I would suggest that all the panic over horse meat has little to do with health concerns or consumer trust – it is because horses are considered companions and pets.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

To many people some of the other animal varieties are their pets and companions, so again I ask what makes the horse so special?
Aren't horses the same animals many breed simply to race, and if the animal gets older and doesn't win anymore, often gets turned into soap?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Re: BC Horse Angels?

Post by AlienSoldier »

Until horse meat is commercialized, advertised as a viable alternative and accepted by a portion of society it will not sell well, or be worth the money to manufacture it. It's an easier fight than beef, chicken, pork, etc.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Liquidnails wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-216463-2-.htm#216463

If there's a market for the meat it seems a waste of perfectly good food to harvest these unwanted, even pestilent feral animals.

And why isnt this lady on a crusade to save cows, and lambs and chickens and pigs being saved from slaughter? What's the difference?

I can give you 4 good reasons:

*Steak
*Lamb chops with mint jelly
*Chicken Wings
*Most importantly Bacon!

Seriously though it is just the way our brains work. How about dog? Someone that moves here from Korea might be why not dog?

It’s all in the way our culture views these animals and how close a group of people can become attached to them emotionally.
Attachments
EC89EBE6-E754-4A0A-9700-DDE52F35E87F.jpeg
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Old Techie wrote:To many people some of the other animal varieties are their pets and companions, so again I ask what makes the horse so special?
Aren't horses the same animals many breed simply to race, and if the animal gets older and doesn't win anymore, often gets turned into soap?

You'll see a lot of horses being sold once they stop performing any type of sport or the rider decides to purchase a better horse - they are bought and sold like a car so claiming they are pets and companions doesn't apply to a good portion of horse owners if the ads are anything to go by.
So, why don't Canadians eat horse?

We do. We eat approximately 2,000 tonnes of it a year. In Quebec, you can find horsemeat in the supermarket, next to the beef, chicken and pork. Metro, the Quebec-based supermarket, lists horsemeat recipes on its website. By comparison, anglophone Canadians eat a tiny amount of horsemeat. One culture's dinner is another's taboo.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/fo ... cle567009/
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

It doesn't matter what meat is in your diet -- there will someone, somewhere, who will object to it for a host of different reasons.

Many non-hunters don't feel hunters should be allowed to kill and consume many different kinds of game -- Grizzly Bear comes to mind. Most people object to the killing and consumption of cute animals over ugly ones (i.e., rabbits, harp seals ...). Or smart, majestic animals over dumb ones (dogs, horses, bears, a wide range of African range animals ...). But the fact is, all of these animals are consumed in great numbers, in many parts of the world. We don't approve of them all, according to how we were raised and the nature of our various cultures.

Having had a few dogs as part of my life, the idea of eating one repulses me. But if the number of people with an opinion matters, then eating dogs is just fine -- billions of Chinese and SE Asians eat them every day. Many more of them approve, than westerners who disapprove.

I've never been around horses, and don't have a problem with them being consumed. They're really just big smart, uppity cows, who let people ride on them. There are a lot of people in Canada who enjoy horse meat -- I had a friend who was a butcher and he quietly sold it every day. I tried it once and it was pretty good.

So if this person wants to save a few horses from the abattoir by buying them and keeping them in a horsey retirement center, more the power to her. It's her money, and anyone else's, goofy enough to contribute to her cause.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

If anyone remembers the Taco Bell horse meat controversy from a few years ago, you’ll know that horses are delicious and that we should be eating more of them.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Years ago I was reading about the earliest explorers that met the indigenous in western USA. A special meal was prepared for the whites, being honoured guests, was roast dog that had the lightest coat color. White dog was very special indeed.

Their normal diet of berries, roots, bison, deer, etc was supplemented by their somewhat tamed dog pack, with the most irritating curr served up earliest.

Interesting idea. Wonder when this custom died out?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Catsumi wrote:Years ago I was reading about the earliest explorers that met the indigenous in western USA. A special meal was prepared for the whites, being honoured guests, was roast dog that had the lightest coat color. White dog was very special indeed.

Their normal diet of berries, roots, bison, deer, etc was supplemented by their somewhat tamed dog pack, with the most irritating curr served up earliest.

Interesting idea. Wonder when this custom died out?

They still do it in Asian countries. I have seen it when I went to China. Once you figure out what the smell is, you will never forget it. Even when I was on the bus and as it drove near one of the restaurants, I started to gag. In never seen a dog off leash anywhere while I was there.
Bring back the LIKE button.
westbankkid
Übergod

Re: Horses slaughtered for food

Post by westbankkid »

Actually horsemeat tastes better than cow or pig. I wish we could buy it here. It's better for you as well. Less fat content.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

If memory serves me, back in 70s one of fast food joints was caught using horse (its the one who's famous for their root beer).
Reason they came very close to completely disappearing.

I could be wrong
Last edited by GordonH on Jan 17th, 2018, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Social Concerns”