Inmates are likely to suffer permanent harm from isolation

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Inmates are likely to suffer permanent harm from isolati

Post by Queen K »

You can't mean that. :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Na of course not. I put a /s in there to indicate sarcasm. Its a bit of a tough conveyance in text speak.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Take the time to watch this report before you jump to conclusions about the use, or shall I say, abuse of the use of solitary confinement. This girl's story is horrific and heartbreaking and exactly why there should be limits set.

With guards watching and a video camera rolling, Ashley Smith slowly choked herself to death in a federal prison on Oct. 19, 2007. How could this tragic turn of events have happened? And what does it tell us about the way mentally ill inmates are treated in a prison system that was once the envy of the world? With the inquest into Ashley Smith’s death set to begin, the fifth estate has obtained critical videotape footage that shows Smith’s time in prison and brings unique insight into the full extent of this tragedy.

Convicted at only 15 years of age, Ashley Smith’s original 30-day sentence stretched to four years and included 17 separate transfers by Corrections Canada within a year. In the most in-depth examination of her tragic story yet, the fifth estate also examines the little-known 114 days she spent in early 2007 at the Regional Psychiatric Centre (RPC) in Saskatoon. The only psychiatric hospital in the country with a therapeutic healing program designed for women offenders, RPC had Smith locked in segregation after clashing with guards and staff. Shocking revelations come from former nurses, one social worker and a former warden, all of whom stepped forward to share their stories for the first time.

One tip received by the fifth estate led the team to another seriously at-risk RPC inmate whose story is also told as part of the broadcast.

Hana Gartner takes a look at the troubled life that Ashley Smith led behind bars and the sad circumstances surrounding her death.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2010-2011/behind-the-wall
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Ka-El wrote:When you have no interest in knowing the truth, assumptions (no matter how misinformed) are all you need :smt045

do what you do best :topic:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

MrBrocksEgo wrote:
the truth wrote:most of them have no problem going back to club fed

Pretty tight with an ex con who told you this I assume?

nope, i get my info from the front line guys, i have friends who are prison guards , hope that good enough for ya
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

[quoe="Ka-El"]
MrBrocksEgo wrote:
the truth wrote:most of them have no problem going back to club fed

Pretty tight with an ex con who told you this I assume?

[icon_lol2.gif] That is funny. Share a cell in a pod of four cells, eight guys (or more sometimes) to a pod – all cinderblock and steel and no windows to the outside. Get up when you’re told and fall out for cell inspection. Breakfast one pod at a time and no food allowed to be brought back to your cell. Need to go to the bathroom? There’s your toilet – it’s sitting right out there in the middle of your cell. Told when and when you cannot watch TV. An hour in the yard each day – maybe play some handball, or just enjoy being outside for an hour (the yard is a box surrounded by three story walls on all four sides, but you can see the sky) – and then back to the pod. Regular “lock-ups” during the day requiring everyone to get back in their cells. For those who want to otherwise get out of their pods sometime during the day, there is work (laundry, kitchen), school and/or CBT programming. Got a problem with any of this? Well, there is segregation.

It’s a damn vacation! :birthday2:[/quote]

you have no clue what you are talking about

this is real hard time http://www.businessinsider.com/inside-r ... son-2016-7
this is hard time clue fed time in canada http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-new ... b-c-prison
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

the truth wrote: you have no clue what you are talking about

:laugh: Russia. Good one.

Oh, I also like the example of using an isolated occurence (Williams Head minimum security) to extrapolate an overgeneralization to the entire system. That is a great example of the type of a thinking error we work to challenge and correct in real offenders (ie. not at William Head minimum security). Thanks for that truth. Timely and right on point.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

the truth wrote: nope, i get my info from the front line guys, i have friends who are prison guards ,

No you don't. You'd know more about it if you did.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

fact fyi, its a federal prison, no wonder they re offend far from the cinder block your talking about
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

the truth wrote:nope, i get my info from the front line guys, i have friends who are prison guards , hope that good enough for ya

It's not a good idea to get information from "friends" who you randomly decided to add on Facebook who pretend to have a million different occupations - today being prison guards.

The picture in the article looks so horrible. it's just a dirty cell with a toilet. No sane person would want to hang out in some cell all day.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Ka-El wrote:
the truth wrote: nope, i get my info from the front line guys, i have friends who are prison guards ,

No you don't. You'd know more about it if you did.

same old poison out of your mouth every day, everything you say is the gospel truth [icon_lol2.gif]
everything some else says you do not like of agree with you call them a lier, must be nice to be perfect like you, any chance your god
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

the truth wrote: same old poison out of your mouth every day, everything you say is the gospel truth [icon_lol2.gif]

Well, I do make an effort to know what I'm talking about before posting something stupid. In this case it wasn't difficult.
I am extremely familiar with the criminal justice system - pros and cons, strengths and failures. Far more familiar and knowledgeable than you or any of your imaginary friends ever will be. You have to be at least interested in knowing the truth.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Chill
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Ka-El wrote:
the truth wrote: same old poison out of your mouth every day, everything you say is the gospel truth [icon_lol2.gif]

Well, I do make an effort to know what I'm talking about before posting something stupid. In this case it wasn't difficult.
I am extremely familiar with the criminal justice system - pros and cons, strengths and failures. Far more familiar and knowledgeable than you or any of your imaginary friends ever will be. You have to be at least interested in knowing the truth.

so what part of this is hard time that you talk about http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-new ... b-c-prison
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

There are jurisdictions that focus on punishment and torture, and then there are jurisdictions that focus on making their communities safer. Making angry and violent people mentally ill is ill-advised if you want to protect communities.

Return to “Social Concerns”