Landlords and the new MJ rules

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Landlords and the new MJ rules

Post by Bsuds »

normaM wrote:Personally I don't think Stratas should be able to change rules.
If it is going to be legal then smoking outdoors should be permitted

My Mom lived in a Strata Bldg in White Rock and the rules were no smoking anywhere on the property. Not even on the balconies. The people upstairs from her smoked both cigarettes and MJ on their balcony all the time and the smell drifted into her condo continuously. She was in her 80's at the time and even though she was annoyed by the smell she never complained to the Strata council.

Strata's can change the rules anytime they want and to me that is one of the major drawbacks of owning one. Unfortunately people break the rules all the time and do as they please.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Yea, I figure ppl will ignore rules. I feel the same way Sudsy, I don't want to agree to something and then have it changed on a whim.
btw, Impressed your Mother didn't complain :)
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

normaM wrote:btw, Impressed your Mother didn't complain :)

Me too as she complains (to me at least) about everything! lol
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

All this angst about someone having four plants in their home reminds me of Reefer Madness. Kind of alarmist, fear of the unknown. I think most landlords will eventually figure out a respectful tenant with four houseplants is no riskier than any other tenant. It wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, but to each their own. (See that little pun, there?)

It does strike me as peculiar the government ensures landlords can prohibit the growth of four specific and otherwise legal plants on their property while at the same time completely ignoring the much bigger problems the RTA has created for landlords.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

you probably wouldn't be so enthusiastic when your perfect tenant decides 4 isn't enough and adds eight more, but hey that's only 12 and 3 or 4 lights some ventilation a lot of water a little mold never hurt no one and who cares if your neighbors have to put up with the smell. As a former landlord i wouldn't allow it just out of respect for the neighboring properties believe it or not not everyone wants to smell pot growing or smoking when theyre sitting on their deck in the summer
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

LTD wrote:you probably wouldn't be so enthusiastic when your perfect tenant decides 4 isn't enough and adds eight more, but hey that's only 12 and 3 or 4 lights some ventilation a lot of water a little mold never hurt no one and who cares if your neighbors have to put up with the smell. As a former landlord i wouldn't allow it just out of respect for the neighboring properties believe it or not not everyone wants to smell pot growing or smoking when theyre sitting on their deck in the summer

You're describing the same kind of tenant that would bring in more people than we'd agreed to, more pets than we'd agreed to, that would smoke when they'd agreed not to, that would party later than we'd agreed to, that would let mould grow in the bathroom and the laundry room just because they can't be bothered to clean properly, that would let the water from their other houseplants run all over my laminate, etc. etc. etc..

Nothing new, same old RTA.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

absolutely right i just think its good to give the landlord the option while i wouldn't allow it i would wager most wont have a problem with it
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

We'll probably see tenants groups "fighting" the landlords' right to ban. Wouldn't it be grand if that fight ended up with an overhaul of the RTA that actually helped landlords get rid of problem tenants? Unlikely, I know.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

As I have said in other threads it is far from uncommon to have many people who will push the limit until landlords and laws get tougher. A perfect example is smoking, smokers just kept pushing until they are now banned from many areas even close to entries for restaurants hospitals etc. Might take a while but does anyone else see the writing on the wall or am I alone?

EDIT TO ADD:

I remember "no smoking in camp facilities and any number of people being thrown out for burned blankets or whatever. A good job down the drain for what? Because you were too lazy to walk out side. Thought you could get away with it. In the end it hurt everyone with even stricter rules.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “Social Concerns”