Adulthood now begins at 24

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Adulthood does not begin until 24, scientists have concluded because young people are continuing their education for longer and delaying marriage and parenthood.

The traditional definition for adolescence is currently between and the ages of 10 and 19, which marked the beginnings of puberty and the perceived end of biological growth.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018 ... elay-work/

http://investmentwatchblog.com/due-to-d ... ins-at-24/
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Adulthood now begins at 24

Post by Queen K »

O the good old days of being 24, would I be 24 again? Ummmm, no way, I do feel badly for that generation right now though.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Queen K wrote:O the good old days of being 24, would I be 24 again? Ummmm, no way, I do feel badly for that generation right now though.

Really?
While I wouldn’t want to go back to that age simply because I don’t think that way, the ones that are around that age that I know are leading great lives, full of opportunity.
You and 71 others Like this post
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Back in the day people would accomplish everything and be dead by 30.

Now it's an accomplishment if you move out by the 30th birthday.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Well one thing is that Adulting sucks...and well if I had the choice I wouldnt do it either...but I have to

as for the reason why the rose the age to 24 is probably the Tide Pod Challenge.....the scientist are fearing for our future generations.

more and more that time passes the movie "Idiocracy" seems more relevant...

**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

averagejoe wrote: Adulthood does not begin until 24, scientists have concluded because young people are continuing their education for longer and delaying marriage and parenthood.

This really should not be too much a surprise. In the animal kingdom we observe that the more complex an organism, the longer it requires its parents care until able to survive on its own. In our world, survival means different things to different people. Parents who want their children to be successful in their adult life will teach lessons of responsibility along the way, but will also support them while they gain the education and/or training they need to be truly successful. It’s a much more complicated world now, and the old ways of hunting for food and shelter no longer popularly employed.

averagejoe wrote: The traditional definition for adolescence is currently between and the ages of 10 and 19, which marked the beginnings of puberty and the perceived end of biological growth.

Which was fine when all a person was required to do with their life was to farm, fight or f…
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Well your brain isn't fully developed until about 25. When I look back, I was a baby in my 20's. Who had a baby. My kids are welcome to stay as long as they want.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

JLives wrote:My kids are welcome to stay as long as they want.

Do you feel you are helping them in any way with that?
I ask seriously, not as a judgement on your parenting.
Our decisions were very different.....we were intent on doing everything to give them both real and perceived independence as early as possible.

I’m reading over the above and finding the wording of my question awkward but cannot think of a better wording at this time. It really isn’t meant to come across in a negative way.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

It's a vague statement on it's own. My kids are very independent. I'm raising adults. I'll support them as long as needed to get on their own. Not to be confused with spoiling. They always have responsibilities.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

averagejoe wrote:Adulthood does not begin until 24, scientists have concluded because young people are continuing their education for longer and delaying marriage and parenthood.

They're continuing their education for longer because it takes much more education to get a worthwhile job these days.

Remember back when teachers were being hired after like 2-3 years of university without a degree finished? Ya.....now it's at least 5 years with a degree actually finished. This is just one example.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
averagejoe wrote:Adulthood does not begin until 24, scientists have concluded because young people are continuing their education for longer and delaying marriage and parenthood.

They're continuing their education for longer because it takes much more education to get a worthwhile job these days.

Remember back when teachers were being hired after like 2-3 years of university without a degree finished? Ya.....now it's at least 5 years with a degree actually finished. This is just one example.

You mean well before you were born?
Things haven’t really changed that much, for what you’re referring to in education/jobs, in your lifetime and much longer than that. If I recall correctly, you probably have one of the most marketable degrees that are available.

To be fair, you didn’t state a time period but, when someone says "remember when...", it generally indicates a personally experienced memory. What are the other examples of *recent* changes?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

soon it will be 40.
Remember when we wanted to be an adult? wth were we thinking.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

I see "kids" whose parents are still spoon feeding them well into their 40's and 50's. Whether it be "loans" that are never repaid or cleaning up their messes, be it grand kids or ex wives.
Waste not
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

JLives wrote:Well your brain isn't fully developed until about 25.

I think they should raise the legal driving age to 24 as well, same with the drinking age.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I'm fine with adulthood starting at 24 so long as that becomes the voting age.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Social Concerns”