Stop Shaming Business Owners

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Post by dirtybiker »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
not taking the time to educate their employees about safety {snip} people start jobs without any sort of discussion about wages or anything whatsoever

In the example I provided it should not take much brain power or comprehension
of the written word to come to the conclusion.
It was not my first day in the Industry, just a different location of plying my (then) trade.

I showed dressed for the job at hand, with all my own tools..

Like $20,000.00 worth in the early 1980's.

This is not to discount safety, it is Paramount..

It also stands to reason that if someone is on the doorstep and it becomes
blatantly obvious to have been in the trade for years.
Less training is required (unless they're missing digits, appendages and sporting a glass eye)

I took a different route other than paper boy. (no money in it)

I started work for wages life with nothing more than a broom borrowed from my Fathers garage.
And sweeping, (for free) the lot outside a business I wanted to work at.
Was hired for wages on day 2.5, 13 yrs old, stayed till I got my drivers licence at 16 and
had advanced many wrung up the ladder, in wages, and responsibilities.

But wait..That is wrong.... :200:

Oh the humanity..... [icon_lol2.gif]
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

alanjh595 wrote:Do you think that dishwashers should be forewarned that they might have to wash something sharp? If that dishwasher cuts his hand, is the employer responsible because he didn't tell him of the danger?

The short answer, yes.

Did he cut it because the knife was in a sink full of bubbles? Did the company have a policy outlining that knives not be placed in a sink full of bubbles?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Who said anything about a knife?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

alanjh595 wrote:If that dishwasher cuts his hand, is the employer responsible because he didn't tell him of the danger?

The employer is responsible for all injuries sustained by the workforce. The employees can do the dumbest thing, and WCB will cover them no matter what. An employee on the job can walk into a traffic, get hit by a car, and WCB will pay out no matter how dumb this employee is and no matter how much training an employer provided on dangers of walking into traffic.

And then WCB will jack up the rates for the company.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

dirtybiker wrote:I took a different route other than paper boy. (no money in it)

Can you please stop with this nonsense that has transferred from the bickering room? I've already stated several times I don't deliver papers. Trying to invalidate an opinion by insinuating someone does some sort of job you don't like is ridiculous.

dirtybiker wrote:I started work for wages life with nothing more than a broom borrowed from my Fathers garage.
And sweeping, (for free) the lot outside a business I wanted to work at.
Was hired for wages on day 2.5, 13 yrs old, stayed till I got my drivers licence at 16 and
had advanced many wrung up the ladder, in wages, and responsibilities.

But wait..That is wrong.... :200:

Oh the humanity..... [icon_lol2.gif]

No one said this is wrong. People like myself have only claimed that not everyone advances up the ladder.

dirtybiker wrote:It also stands to reason that if someone is on the doorstep and it becomes
blatantly obvious to have been in the trade for years.
Less training is required (unless they're missing digits, appendages and sporting a glass eye)

Yes, obviously, but this isn't what you initially said. You said there was no conversation whatsoever about safety, training, or anything. I questioned the story and then you started mocking me, millennials, and a variety of other groups of people who dare want to be safe at a job.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say any more since it was sorta kinda about initiative at first, then morphed mocking people who take safety seriously, and now you're saying safety is paramount.

I stand by my words that business owners who don't take safety seriously should be mocked. In the example about a dishwasher, tons of businesses have employees toss knives and other sharp objects into sinks. It's very possible to get a serious injury because businesses don't take the time to tell anyone some basic information or enforce the information.

Too many people laugh at things instead of realizing it takes one screw up to cause a serious injury.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

The rates for the company don't go up, the cost is shared upon all businesses within that occupational code.

Restaurants are not charged the same as forestry work.
https://www.worksafebc.com/en/insurance ... ustry-rate
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

alanjh595 wrote:If that dishwasher cuts his hand, is the employer responsible because he didn't tell him of the danger?

Even Steven wrote:The employer is responsible for all injuries sustained by the workforce. The employees can do the dumbest thing, and WCB will cover them no matter what. An employee on the job can walk into a traffic, get hit by a car, and WCB will pay out no matter how dumb this employee is and no matter how much training an employer provided on dangers of walking into traffic.

And then WCB will jack up the rates for the company.

And as a business you are lucky if that is all they do. If you are found negligent there can be fines. If you are found criminally negligent, jail. And the hand of Worksafe BC is far reaching. As a business owner you can incorporate your business to protect you from liabilities but WorkSafeBC can reach beyond that and bankrupt you personally for negligence. Don’t :cuss: with them.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
I've already stated several times I don't deliver papers.

I could not care less, and never said you did. I just stated a true fact, I never went that route,
There is no money in it, there is also no advancement opportunity.
Adding to work-load to earn more, is not advancement.
Adding to workload (responsibilities) for higher wages, is.

Yes, obviously, but this isn't what you initially said. You said there was no conversation whatsoever about safety, training, or anything.

There was not as it was blatantly obvious I was a well established in the Industry.
100% truthful statement.

Work stained clothing (rags) ? check
mega money tied up in own tools ? check
Driving a fully restored, straight and clean, custom painted pick-up truck ? check

Looking for work in an Auto Body And Paint Shop... Hmmmm..

Good to go or send to training seminar on the proper use of Safety glasses
and jack stands ?

Not so sure what is so hard to comprehend about this for some people.

That business owner had nothing to be shamed for.
He was as proud of the projects I completed there as I was.

Never a foul word betwixt us.
I also don't recall running to the first aid kit or eye-wash station either.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Almost everyone has had a crappy low paying job. Usually enough motivation to work harder/train/school to get out of said CJ.
Lots of jobs pay big money for not having a university degree. Nor does a degree mean you auto get a " career" think 5bucks and the staff with a degree in English.
My Mother was a middle aged woman when left to fend for herself... she worked two jobs ( one that gave her discounts on basic items so she saved that way, plus she could buy and wear uniform). The drugstore was open 7 days a week til midnight.. she usually got stuck with the late shift. No benefits, no sick day pay.

Managed to pay off her small mortgage, save some, enjoy a great social life. When every I feel whiny I think about how hard she worked and what she accomplished. There are other reasons for sticking in a dead end *bleep* poor wage job than we often know.
Years as an employment counsellor taught me that Truth. Few examples , can't work weekends ( interfers with their fun time)
Need 2 weeks off within 4 months of working ( second cousin getting married in Sask) Needs to be within walking distance as don't like riding the bus. Weds are pool nights so can't work late any Weds ever.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

TreeGuy wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Do you think that dishwashers should be forewarned that they might have to wash something sharp? If that dishwasher cuts his hand, is the employer responsible because he didn't tell him of the danger?

The short answer, yes.

Did he cut it because the knife was in a sink full of bubbles? Did the company have a policy outlining that knives not be placed in a sink full of bubbles?

If your job is a dishwasher and you don't understand that knives are sharp and can be found soaking in sinks, then that says everything about why you're making minimum wage.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Jonrox wrote:If your job is a dishwasher and you don't understand that knives are sharp and can be found soaking in sinks,

And there is a free, in house, training program for this.

It's called helping with the after meal dishes at ones residence.
Whether that be at Home, Orphanage, Foster Care, whatever...
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Jonrox wrote:If your job is a dishwasher and you don't understand that knives are sharp and can be found soaking in sinks, then that says everything about why you're making minimum wage.

I like hoe you just ignore the point about a sink being full of bubbles and not being able to see what if there are knives or other sharp things that might have just been dumped into or accidentally fallen into the sink.

A smart business owner would supply one of those metal-mesh gloves for dishwashers to avoid cuts. But whatever, let's just bash dishwashers for not understanding the definition of the word 'sharp.'

I sincerely hope people here are joking and aren't laughing at basic safety standards with their businesses then getting upset when completely inept business owners are shamed.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

You want the employer to supply a helmet too? You know, because the wet floors might be slippery and somebody might hit their head.
Perhaps full protection body armour, like football players wear?

You know that on construction sites employees are responsible for supplying their own hart hats, steel toe boots and hi-vis vests?

Maybe dishwashers should have to supply and use their own equipment, that they have to pay for.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:completely inept business owners are shamed.

Huh, in all this thread has become, there sure seems to be a lack of
shamed business'

There has been displays of poor attitude,
victim syndrome.
Lack of sympathy.
Displays of low initiative. responsibility to self,
and mostly.
A struggle with comprehension of the written word.
Of this I fall as guilty at times also.

Plus a myriad of other things
but,
Not so much on Shamed Business'
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

alanjh595 wrote:The rates for the company don't go up, the cost is shared upon all businesses within that occupational code.

No, your rates can be increased or decreased based on claim history. The base line is indeed shared.

Return to “Social Concerns”