Stop Shaming Business Owners

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Post by dirtybiker »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
Ya I know. The payments still had to be agreed to and there was paperwork.

I'll be gentle and hopefully clear.

The only "real" paperwork required is a Social Insurance Number, and a name.

That is it, that is all. As long as a Company has those two things, they can pay you.

Agreed upon wage has not been my priority if I needed to work, work first,
prove your worth, then comes wages.

I still get my pay cheque handed to me in person. :200:

Apperantly times have sure changed since I got my first paying job in 1976. :smt045
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

There are 2 other tax forms that must be completed as well.

One for federal and the other is for provincial income tax deductions made at source.
Bring back the LIKE button.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

dirtybiker wrote:Apperantly times have sure changed since I got my first paying job in 1976. :smt045

Yes apparently. There's this thing called safety as well as protecting oneself from potentially life-threatening situations.

Suggesting that people quit their low-paying jobs and just waltz into some potentially dangerous job without asking any questions - and for some reason not even asking about the wage - is absolutely insane.

I'm glad it all worked out for you and you didn't get an eye poked out or something, but your suggestion is stupid.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

It is probably time we stop applying 1976’s principles to 2018’s demographics and economic climate.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

It still worked for me when I sold my last Company and went
back to working for wages in 2004.

Poor molly-coddled youth of today.

You should not need a safety training course to teach you
one end of a pencil is sharper than the other !
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
dirtybiker wrote:Apperantly times have sure changed since I got my first paying job in 1976. :smt045

Yes apparently. There's this thing called safety as well as protecting oneself from potentially life-threatening situations.

Suggesting that people quit their low-paying jobs and just waltz into some potentially dangerous job without asking any questions - and for some reason not even asking about the wage - is absolutely insane.

I'm glad it all worked out for you and you didn't get an eye poked out or something, but your suggestion is stupid.

Safety standards are designed and set by WorksafeBC.

WorkSafeBC
WorkSafeBC administers the Workers Compensation Act for the British Columbia Ministry of Labour. WorkSafeBC has the legal authority to set and enforce occupational health and safety standards, assist injured or disabled workers, and assess employers and collect funds to operate WorkSafeBC.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/gove ... worksafebc

Dangerous jobs are not usually minimum wage jobs. It's up to the applicant to ask the employer if he doesn't know the risks already. If he was to ask such a question, then that person is not a suitable candidate.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

kgcayenne wrote:It is probably time we stop applying 1976’s principles to 2018’s demographics and economic climate.

What would you suggest?
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

alanjh595 wrote:It's up to the applicant to ask the employer if he doesn't know the risks already. If he was to ask such a question, then that person is not a suitable candidate.

Every worksite is different. How is a person supposed to know the risks involved with an individual job site by just randomly showing up, not surveying anything and not asking any questions?

You guys can continue arguing all day that it's acceptable for people to walk onto dangerous job sites with no knowledge of them whatsoever but I'm pretty sure anyone with a shred of common sense can see it's lunacy.

Trying to make a point that people should take initiative is one thing - suggesting people do stupid things and risk bodily harm because they don't feel like asking some safety questions is quite another and almost seems like trolling.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

kgcayenne wrote:It is probably time we stop applying 1976’s principles to 2018’s demographics and economic climate.

Pretty sure some of the same principles apply.

And apperantly what no one could pull out of my previous post.

It is more important to be working for wages, no matter the wage,
than it is to be not working at all.

Job first, prove worth, second, wage comes later...

Not too sure what is so stupid about that.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

oldtrucker wrote:Actually a lot of 'old skool' industries work just like that. I have very similar experiences to "dirtybiker". The job gets further and further away the more 'safety' questions are asked. I know it's not right.

Cool.

Note to self: Stay away from 'old skool' industries if I want to live
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

alanjh595 wrote:It's up to the applicant to ask the employer if he doesn't know the risks already. If he was to ask such a question, then that person is not a suitable candidate.

HorganIsMyHero wrote: worksite is different. How is a person supposed to know the risks involved with an individual job site by just randomly showing up, not surveying anything and not asking any questions?

You guys can continue arguing all day that it's acceptable for people to walk onto dangerous job sites with no knowledge of them whatsoever but I'm pretty sure anyone with a shred of common sense can see it's lunacy.

Trying to make a point that people should take initiative is one thing - suggesting people do stupid things and risk bodily harm because they don't feel like asking some safety questions is quite another and almost seems like trolling.

Are we talking about an "applicant" applying for a job or an employee that has been hired?

On the applicant side of things, a person should know or find out what the job entails.

On the new hire side of things the FULL responsibility lies with the employer and supervisors to ensure the workers safety.

As an Arborist/tree climber/business owner I have worked in one of the most dangerous industries. Tailgate safety meetings that are documented are a must. I made every effort to make sure my employees worked safely using the proper PPE and were using safe working practices.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
Cool.

Note to self: Stay away from 'old skool' industries if I want to live

Pro tip;

Keep fingers and hands away from the papers edges while rolling or
folding them before delivery.

Carry band aids while working through the learning curve.

Look where you are going, not at your feet.

Smile....
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

TreeGuy wrote:On the new hire side of things the FULL responsibility lies with the employer and supervisors to ensure the workers safety.

Weird, really? A person shouldn't just show up to a job site and claim that knowing the dangers of something is for coddled millennials? Thanks for clarifying.

If there are business owners here (not you treeguy) not taking the time to educate their employees about safety with at the very least some sort of short discussion they definitely should be shamed. If corners are being cut in one area who knows what else a business owner deems irrelevant. Maybe not pay for some hours here, not worry about some broken glass on the ground, let people start jobs without any sort of discussion about wages or anything whatsoever - who cares, keeping employees safe and following the law is so lame.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Do you think that dishwashers should be forewarned that they might have to wash something sharp? If that dishwasher cuts his hand, is the employer responsible because he didn't tell him of the danger?

Return to “Social Concerns”