54721
46694

Stop Shaming Business Owners

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 25th, 2018, 9:11 pm

[quote="rustled"]It occurs to no one has come to this thread with a personal story of having been treated unfairly for a great length of time in a job position they were unable to leave.

Does truck driver count? 15 hrs/day($250- $300 per day), only industry in Canada that has employees but doesn't have to pay overtime.70- 80 hrs week for most drivers.
I have plenty post secondary education, but when one is in something a long time, it gets harder as time goes by to leave.--Outdated
Most things that have the words "Canada", or "provincial" and "system", end up being a failure, and/or place last in the developed world.

dirtybiker likes this post.
oldtrucker
Board Meister
 
Posts: 574
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 305 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2013, 4:19 pm

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 25th, 2018, 9:17 pm

^^^And not even recognized as a skilled trade^^^^
Government constantly in yer face.

Benefits....turn the key and drive away from most miserable people.. :smt045
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru
 
Posts: 6339
Likes: 5365 posts
Liked in: 2763 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2008, 7:00 pm
Location: Central OK

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby Even Steven » Jan 25th, 2018, 9:18 pm

GordonH wrote:Since part time employees usually don't get benefits, are no better off.


"Benefits" doesn't mean like dental/vision benefits. I meant more like perks.

But once again, it's all about what market dictates. You gauge a number of responses to your compensation, and if it needs to come up - bring it up. If turnover is a big headache for you - crank it up a bit more. If you don't mind turnover and some businesses actually prefer to have fresh staff every season or so - crank it down.

Not rocket science.
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2527
Likes: 164 posts
Liked in: 1819 posts
Joined: Mar 24th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby GordonH » Jan 25th, 2018, 9:51 pm

^^^ as I've said in other threads over the years, go back to school.
Get the skills and knowledge (degree &/or certificate) in either white collar or blue collar career, then go to were those jobs are. Build your own future, this all takes drive... determination & hard work (I can guarantee you, it will worth it in the end)

impo biggest key is figuring out that career that you will enjoy doing, no matter what it is i.e lawyer, mechanic, welder or doctor ... etc.... etc
Next up: 2018 Memorial Cup, May 17–27, 2018. Teams QJMHL Champions, OHL Champions, WHL Champions & Host Team/Regina Pats

2 people like this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19674
Likes: 2148 posts
Liked in: 6740 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Jan 25th, 2018, 9:52 pm

rustled wrote:It occurs to no one has come to this thread with a personal story of having been treated unfairly for a great length of time in a job position they were unable to leave.


These stories are usually trashed right away so there's not much point. Obviously some people are going to stay at terrible and even unfair jobs so that they can buy food.

This whole "just leave and find a better job" mentality is silly. It's financial suicide and if the employee doesn't leave on good terms it's probably career suicide as well unless the person moves to an entirely different industry.

Omnitheo likes this post.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister
 
Posts: 448
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 234 posts
Joined: Aug 5th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby Even Steven » Jan 25th, 2018, 9:54 pm

GordonH wrote:Get the skills and knowledge (degree &/or certificate) in either white collar or blue collar career, then go to were those jobs are. Build your own future, this all takes drive... determination & hard work (I can guarantee you, it will worth it in the end)


Can't go wrong with that.

dirtybiker likes this post.
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2527
Likes: 164 posts
Liked in: 1819 posts
Joined: Mar 24th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby LTD » Jan 25th, 2018, 10:07 pm

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
rustled wrote:It occurs to no one has come to this thread with a personal story of having been treated unfairly for a great length of time in a job position they were unable to leave.


These stories are usually trashed right away so there's not much point. Obviously some people are going to stay at terrible and even unfair jobs so that they can buy food.

This whole "just leave and find a better job" mentality is silly. It's financial suicide and if the employee doesn't leave on good terms it's probably career suicide as well unless the person moves to an entirely different industry.

and with that attitude you will be stuck in that crappy job forever

2 people like this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3221
Likes: 2213 posts
Liked in: 2418 posts
Joined: Mar 31st, 2010, 3:34 pm

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 25th, 2018, 10:15 pm

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
This whole "just leave and find a better job" mentality is silly. It's financial suicide and if the employee doesn't leave on good terms it's probably career suicide as well unless the person moves to an entirely different industry.


One personal story. Bad Situation.
I was working in a shop, cheques either late, or bounced, or both.
Mega verbal abuse, very toxic situation.
After one brutally volatile confrontation about conditions and pay.
I was Fired and Quit and, ugly all around where we came near to blows.
There was broken stuff and damaged stuff around after.

I collected and packed all my tools and drove away in a rage.

The very first shop I came to in the same industry, I marched in with one small
box of hand and air tools, plunked them on the bench and asked where I was needed to start.
What bench I could use and where I could roll the rest of my tools to.

Aggressive and bold (Hahaha, I don't recommend this system)

After a couple head-shakes and a :135: , I was pointed to a bench, a project, and went straight to work.
Never even discussed wages, just waited for pay day.
I was not disappointed (higher wage than previous shop\) stayed for two years and a bit, (and a couple raises,)
till I embarked on another chapter.

Oh, took close to a year of fighting to get paid out from the bad place.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

2 people like this post.
dirtybiker
Guru
 
Posts: 6339
Likes: 5365 posts
Liked in: 2763 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2008, 7:00 pm
Location: Central OK

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby Veovis » Jan 25th, 2018, 10:22 pm

HorganIsMyHero wrote:This whole "just leave and find a better job" mentality is silly. It's financial suicide and if the employee doesn't leave on good terms it's probably career suicide as well unless the person moves to an entirely different industry.


Always the victim story.

I've been in a few jobs, most have been long term in my life, sometimes they were great, sometimes just good, sometimes where I was happy eventually soured and I no longer wanted to be there, left on just fine terms for better places. Why people think life needs to mimic silly TV and movies where you stomp out like a child is beyond me.

But when it comes down to what has been discussed here, and that being "I get min wage from a decent employer but I want a lot more" then it does mean that you need to get off your arse and go get it. People don't chase min wage slackers down to offer big jobs to, you have to go get it.

2 people like this post.
Veovis
Guru
 
Posts: 5669
Likes: 831 posts
Liked in: 3816 posts
Joined: Apr 19th, 2007, 3:11 pm

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby Rider59 » Jan 26th, 2018, 4:39 am

dirtybiker wrote:One personal story. Bad Situation.
I was working in a shop, cheques either late, or bounced, or both.
Mega verbal abuse, very toxic situation.
After one brutally volatile confrontation about conditions and pay.
I was Fired and Quit and, ugly all around where we came near to blows.
There was broken stuff and damaged stuff around after.

I collected and packed all my tools and drove away in a rage.

The very first shop I came to in the same industry, I marched in with one small
box of hand and air tools, plunked them on the bench and asked where I was needed to start.
What bench I could use and where I could roll the rest of my tools to.

Aggressive and bold (Hahaha, I don't recommend this system)

After a couple head-shakes and a :135: , I was pointed to a bench, a project, and went straight to work.
Never even discussed wages, just waited for pay day.
I was not disappointed (higher wage than previous shop\) stayed for two years and a bit, (and a couple raises,)
till I embarked on another chapter.

Oh, took close to a year of fighting to get paid out from the bad place.


I can relate. I've had to pull a Johnny Paycheck a few times over the years. Always worked out better for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzGoDtmTllg
Rider59
Board Meister
 
Posts: 521
Likes: 368 posts
Liked in: 464 posts
Joined: Aug 17th, 2016, 10:02 am

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Jan 26th, 2018, 8:20 am

dirtybiker wrote:After a couple head-shakes and a :135: , I was pointed to a bench, a project, and went straight to work.
Never even discussed wages, just waited for pay day.


Is this even legal? Don't employees have to sign forms agreeing to certain conditions?

How were wages never discussed? You didn't have to sign anything related to your banking information? Or was this some sketchy operation that paid people cash under the table?
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister
 
Posts: 448
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 234 posts
Joined: Aug 5th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby LTD » Jan 26th, 2018, 8:24 am

you don't get out much I'm guessing

dirtybiker likes this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3221
Likes: 2213 posts
Liked in: 2418 posts
Joined: Mar 31st, 2010, 3:34 pm

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby Bsuds » Jan 26th, 2018, 8:27 am

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
How were wages never discussed? You didn't have to sign anything related to your banking information? Or was this some sketchy operation that paid people cash under the table?


There was a time that you actually got a pay cheque from your employer and had to take it to the Bank to either cash or deposit to your account. There was no such thing as electronic Banking or direct deposit.
I have never tried Yoga but I bent over to pick up my keys once so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it.

dirtybiker likes this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 42023
Likes: 8073 posts
Liked in: 10254 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Jan 26th, 2018, 8:30 am

LTD wrote:you don't get out much I'm guessing


Meaning what? I've worked lots of jobs and never heard of some business allowing people to work without agreeing to certain terms and conditions - mainly safety related. Even that labour place in town where people can find odd work each day requires people to actually agree to things and sign forms before working.

If you guys are weirdly stomping into businesses and working without knowing anything at all about the safety risks around you and not agreeing to anything.......that honestly sounds like the stupidest possible move a person could make.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister
 
Posts: 448
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 234 posts
Joined: Aug 5th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Jan 26th, 2018, 8:30 am

Bsuds wrote:There was a time that you actually got a pay cheque from your employer and had to take it to the Bank to either cash or deposit to your account. There was no such thing as electronic Banking or direct deposit.


Ya I know. The payments still had to be agreed to and there was paperwork.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister
 
Posts: 448
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 234 posts
Joined: Aug 5th, 2017, 2:49 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests