Stop Shaming Business Owners

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby JLives » Jan 23rd, 2018, 7:02 pm

People need to understand that running a business on the backs of people who can't afford the neccessities in life is not an acceptable business model. It's wrong and it's not sustainable.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

3 people like this post.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6160 posts

Postby MAPearce » Jan 23rd, 2018, 7:07 pm

JLives wrote:People need to understand that running a business on the backs of people who can't afford the neccessities in life is not an acceptable business model. It's wrong and it's not sustainable.

People need to realize that running a business isn't cheap , easy or all that fun ..

I just don't get why people think that people who go into business for themselves shouldn't be able to make more than minimum wage ..
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

2 people like this post.
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4686 posts

Postby JLives » Jan 23rd, 2018, 7:12 pm

They are welcome to. Just NOT at the expense of keeping their workers in poverty. The business model is what needs to change.

2 people like this post.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Postby Even Steven » Jan 23rd, 2018, 7:20 pm

If all business owners quit because they can't afford to pay living wages or whatever - who will provide jobs for all the business owners and their ex-employees?

We can't all be employees.

2 people like this post.
Even Steven
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2282 posts

Postby LTD » Jan 23rd, 2018, 7:33 pm

JLives wrote:People need to understand that running a business on the backs of people who can't afford the neccessities in life is not an acceptable business model. It's wrong and it's not sustainable.

when the necessities in life stop being smart phones starbucks and owning a car I might take you a tiny bit more serious
oh ya and when you start realizing that entry level jobs are just that entry level and will be paid accordingly

4 people like this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3483 posts

Postby rustled » Jan 23rd, 2018, 8:05 pm

JLives wrote:They are welcome to. Just NOT at the expense of keeping their workers in poverty. The business model is what needs to change.

Framing it this way makes it sound like these poor workers are owned slaves who are entirely without choice. Victim culture. Entirely up to the employer to make things right for their employees by changing the business model. Thing is, the business isn't operating in some kind of vacuum.

I wonder if you could walk us through how it works when businesses with higher labour costs pass those along to the customers. Perhaps it's something along the lines of what's happening where Safeway's already competing with the busy discount grocery across the street? Lots of factors at play, but it's up to the villainous employer to change the business model. We see higher grocery costs in all Sobey's, with some closed stores and others converting to FreshCo. Maybe this is a win for you, maybe not.

Of course you can ask all the shareholders to take a hit. I wonder how many people of very modest means have Sobey's in their RRSPs and other retirement investment vehicles.

Sparki55 likes this post.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 8457 posts

Postby MAPearce » Jan 23rd, 2018, 8:14 pm

JLives wrote:They are welcome to. Just NOT at the expense of keeping their workers in poverty. The business model is what needs to change.

I work for a small business owner... The guy works 12 hours a day trying to keep his business going so he can make his money AND me and 7 other guys their money . Ok , so we're not schlepping coffee or burgers but to keep me and the crew employed he spends more time on a computer , calculator and a complex system of mathematical formulas to estimate job costs just to bring work to the crew.. If you considered for a minute the time it takes to do all of that and divided that time by the amount of money he takes home at the end of a month , you'd know that he makes far less than he deserves ... But THAT is at the expense of keeping us in poverty ???

And then consider that the money it takes to run a business on his own comes straight from his pocket ...

Think about that J.
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

6 people like this post.
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Postby Omnitheo » Jan 23rd, 2018, 8:18 pm

Interesting,
Sobeys pays minimum wage, and is closing stores, but meanwhile doubling the salary of their CEO...sounds like a very similar story to virtually every other major franchise out there paying minimum wage.

Sobeys' Marc Poulin sees pay nearly double. Marc Poulin, president and CEO of Empire Co, saw his total compensation for 2014-15 nearly double compared to fiscal 2014. The Sobeys head received a total compensation package of a little more than $8.5 million in fiscal 2015.

http://www.canadiangrocer.com/worth-rea ... uble-56417

Their new CEO however makes a list of claims for why Sobey’s isn’t doing very well, and no part of it mentions wages
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... e34308640/
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4514 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Jan 23rd, 2018, 8:19 pm

MAPearce wrote:

I work for a small business owner... The guy works 12 hours a day trying to keep his business going so he can make his money AND me and 7 other guys their money . Ok , so we're not schlepping coffee or burgers but to keep me and the crew employed he spends more time on a computer , calculator and a complex system of mathematical formulas to estimate job costs just to bring work to the crew.. If you considered for a minute the time it takes to do all of that and divided that time by the amount of money he takes home at the end of a month , you'd know that he makes far less than he deserves ... But THAT is at the expense of keeping us in poverty ???

And then consider that the money it takes to run a business on his own comes straight from his pocket ...

Think about that J.

Are you being paid minimum wage?
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4514 posts

Postby MAPearce » Jan 23rd, 2018, 8:27 pm

Are you being paid minimum wage?

Nope ...But like I said , "we're not schlepping coffee or burgers" ...

I am what's considered a "specialized labourer" , meaning I don't have a trade ticket but what I do takes a skill unrecognized by any trade . I'm in an industry that , in this town , I'm lucky to be part of due to competition of others that enjoy close proximity to vendors , transportation corridors and material suppliers .

All things that the "worker" seems to forget when it comes to providing an affordable wage for an employer to pay and keep the paychecks from bouncing..

2 people like this post.
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Postby JLives » Jan 23rd, 2018, 8:37 pm

MAPearce wrote:I work for a small business owner... The guy works 12 hours a day trying to keep his business going so he can make his money AND me and 7 other guys their money . Ok , so we're not schlepping coffee or burgers but to keep me and the crew employed he spends more time on a computer , calculator and a complex system of mathematical formulas to estimate job costs just to bring work to the crew.. If you considered for a minute the time it takes to do all of that and divided that time by the amount of money he takes home at the end of a month , you'd know that he makes far less than he deserves ... But THAT is at the expense of keeping us in poverty ???

Think about that J.

That was my job for 10 years. I am very familiar with running a business thanks. And I'm guessing you don't make minimum wage so this doesn't really apply to you?

Omnitheo likes this post.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 23rd, 2018, 8:40 pm

I'll start with, no one makes min. wage at the company I am with.

A couple Million dollars worth of specialized equipment. and yet.

For every dollar of revenue brought in there remains only 3 cents worth
of profit for the owner... 3 Cents !

This model is very, very common.

Sure have to create a pile of work, jobs, contracts to bring in enough revenue
to just cover costs, let alone show profit to "Live The Good Life"

Yup, all wine and roses...

The Billionaire big wigs people cry about are heads of Publicly traded, Nation wide chains with
floods of business locations.

Not one, small, privately owned operation.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

6 people like this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3606 posts

Postby Jhunter199 » Jan 23rd, 2018, 8:46 pm

Honestly this is always going to be a revolving door.

How about family run Restaurants? Owner's and entire families are in them 6 days a week 10-12 hours a day. Should they have to pay their dishwashers and servers $15 an hour? If they did then it would be safe to say the same people saying yes they should would be the first people complaining that a salad now cost $16-$18 and a steak costs $38-$42. Because not only did they have to raise the wages of servers and dishwashers, the prep cooks that were getting $14-$16 are now like "wait a minute I'm making the same as the dishwasher". So now their wage goes up to $18-$19, then you have the Sous chef that's like "hey I'm making the same as the prep/line cooks" so their wage goes up to $20-$22. So now you have a kitchen (not including front-end servers) that now requires a dishwasher, 3 line/prep cooks, and a sous chef at 40 hours per week @ $4/hr increase... that's $800/week for just the kitchen... totalling $41,600.00 a year in just a small business Restaurant. This doesn't include servers, bartenders, hostess's.
Considering Industry average for a small business is 6-12% profit margin, who's going to ultimately pay for this wage increase? Those figures don't even have the increased employer cpp, ei, and wcb amounts either. Small business employ's the majority of the Country, if we're really going to keep demanding more from them, while supporting big business because they're cheaper, we need to start asking who's really to blame.

6 people like this post.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Liked in: 351 posts

Postby MAPearce » Jan 23rd, 2018, 8:47 pm

That was my job for 10 years. I am very familiar with running a business thanks. And I'm guessing you don't make minimum wage so this doesn't really apply to you?

So .. You know what it's like to ask your customers to pay more so you can provide the ability to pay your employees more ?

How'd that work ??

dirtybiker likes this post.
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Postby LTD » Jan 23rd, 2018, 8:52 pm

JLives wrote:
MAPearce wrote:I work for a small business owner... The guy works 12 hours a day trying to keep his business going so he can make his money AND me and 7 other guys their money . Ok , so we're not schlepping coffee or burgers but to keep me and the crew employed he spends more time on a computer , calculator and a complex system of mathematical formulas to estimate job costs just to bring work to the crew.. If you considered for a minute the time it takes to do all of that and divided that time by the amount of money he takes home at the end of a month , you'd know that he makes far less than he deserves ... But THAT is at the expense of keeping us in poverty ???

Think about that J.

sorry but your comments on here contradict that
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3483 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns