Stop Shaming Business Owners

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby Jhunter199 » Jan 24th, 2018, 12:57 pm

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
Jhunter199 wrote: start bettering their situation. A couple night classes at the college, online courses, seeking out new employment or even part time to test out the culture of the company


I get why people keep giving these blanket answers that everyone can better himself or herself through some courses and gumption, but so many people still fall through the cracks.

This has been brought up in numerous threads but due to discrimination, location, family duties and basically......a billion other factors there are people who get stuck in minimum wage or extremely low-paying jobs their entire lives.

We should be recognizing there's a problem instead of continually shouting nonsense about hoe they're just not trying hard enough.


I would hardly call it a blanket answer, I am living proof that effort and determination can and will change your course in life. I went from having a great job that paid well to being almost killed in the line of work. I was left with a major disability, no insurance (as it was in another country and nothing I could do to them) I had zero education, as I worked my way up with hard work and loyalty, and now all 15 years of my experience is rendered useless as I can barely walk. I had to sell off everything I had to pay my medical bills and pay for Physio, Massage, Stretch, and a Therapist.
I was stuck in go nowhere minimum wage jobs, living in rented rooms, depressed and miserable, hating what happened to me and feeling sorry for myself. Now here I am 8 years after the accident, I used different programs available through the government, put myself through college, bought a house, got married, and am thankful every day for that one moment that one day when I finally said screw this, this is not how my life is going to go. So no this is not a blanket answer, and i'm sure there are more people that have had it worse off than me, but I would also bet there are people that have it far better and just need their own "this is not what I want from life moment"

7 people like this post.
Jhunter199
Fledgling
 
Posts: 293
Likes: 260 posts
Liked in: 351 posts
Joined: Apr 18th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby beancounter » Jan 24th, 2018, 1:07 pm

Grandan wrote:I know of at least 1 woman who bet $40,000 on opening a business in Kelowna and struggled to keep it open for years before she finally had to admit defeat. She didn't get to walk away from the debt that was left behind. Dreams shattered.


That is rough, but also the point about letting the free market decide wage scales as opposed to the gov't, don't you think? There are many such businesses just holding on now , particularly in the independent retail/restaurant industries.
If their pay scale is too low in their industry then they will have high turnover, which comes with it's own cost. What I see happen more often than not is the owners take up the slack to keep the doors open. Not every business owner is rich; many make less per hour than their employees when all is said and done.

3 people like this post.
beancounter
Board Meister
 
Posts: 382
Likes: 25 posts
Liked in: 258 posts
Joined: Sep 8th, 2006, 9:13 pm

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby TJ05 » Jan 24th, 2018, 6:25 pm

I agree that minimum wage needs to increase for people working in jobs such as fast food places etc. Just because someone works at one of these jobs, doesn't make them less deserving of a decent wage. If they are working hard for your business, pay them! Also how they can justify making a person work 5 hours before they get a break. Since minimum wage has gone up, I know of a few business's that took away the 15 min break from its employees.
TJ05
Fledgling
 
Posts: 146
Likes: 19 posts
Liked in: 53 posts
Joined: Apr 29th, 2006, 10:19 pm
Location: KELOWNA

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby MAPearce » Jan 24th, 2018, 6:51 pm

TJ05 wrote:I agree that minimum wage needs to increase for people working in jobs such as fast food places etc. Just because someone works at one of these jobs, doesn't make them less deserving of a decent wage. If they are working hard for your business, pay them! Also how they can justify making a person work 5 hours before they get a break. Since minimum wage has gone up, I know of a few business's that took away the 15 min break from its employees.


First of all , in BC employers MUST provide at least 10 minute paid break before lunch , which can be unpaid.. But for all my 35 years of working experience I have never earned minimum wage for more than three months.

That's because I brought more to the table than just a pulse....

I worked , showed initiative and cared about what I was doing . I proved my value.

that's one thing that people don't seem to get these days ...
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

2 people like this post.
User avatar
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11395
Likes: 1819 posts
Liked in: 4398 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby 36Drew » Jan 24th, 2018, 7:13 pm

MAPearce wrote:First of all , in BC employers MUST provide at least 10 minute paid break before lunch , which can be unpaid.


You're wrong.

I'll reference the "fact sheet" rather than the wording of the employment standards act, but it's accurate:

Meal Breaks
An employee must not work more than five hours in a row without a 30-minute unpaid meal break. An employee who is required to work or be available for work during a meal break must be paid for the meal break.

Employers are not required to provide coffee breaks.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

3 people like this post.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2444
Likes: 32 posts
Liked in: 559 posts
Joined: Mar 29th, 2009, 2:32 pm
Location: Coquitlam

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby Sparki55 » Jan 24th, 2018, 7:38 pm

TJ05 wrote:I agree that minimum wage needs to increase for people working in jobs such as fast food places etc. Just because someone works at one of these jobs, doesn't make them less deserving of a decent wage. If they are working hard for your business, pay them! Also how they can justify making a person work 5 hours before they get a break. Since minimum wage has gone up, I know of a few business's that took away the 15 min break from its employees.


Fast food jobs are for high school students, some college students and people who really don't want to go anywhere. In McDonald's its not hard to move up. If you show initiative they will move you up the ladder to management. Some of my friends went this route, lots of business conferences and paid training. Be a dud and you'll end up a dud.

Dizzy1 likes this post.
Sparki55
Board Meister
 
Posts: 623
Likes: 435 posts
Liked in: 564 posts
Joined: Feb 24th, 2013, 1:38 pm

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby Omnitheo » Jan 24th, 2018, 8:01 pm

Nah, Mcdonalds will promote people who get buddy buddy with the manager and give her shoulder rubs or take up smoking so they can hang outside together for a dozen smoke breaks a day. Or go to her slumber parties and get drunk despite being under age.

That was a long time ago. Unfortunately I’ve heard it’s still the same. Same with the manipulation of hours and cheating employees out of pay.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
User avatar
Omnitheo
Guru
 
Posts: 5230
Likes: 7972 posts
Liked in: 4156 posts
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 9:10 am

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby MAPearce » Jan 24th, 2018, 8:11 pm

Meal Breaks
An employee must not work more than five hours in a row without a 30-minute unpaid meal break. An employee who is required to work or be available for work during a meal break must be paid for the meal break.

Employers are not required to provide coffee breaks.


Wow ! I guess I'm lucky..

I didn't know that it changed .
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
User avatar
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11395
Likes: 1819 posts
Liked in: 4398 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby Even Steven » Jan 24th, 2018, 8:55 pm

Sparki55 wrote:In McDonald's its not hard to move up. If you show initiative they will move you up the ladder to management.


If you fog up a mirror, you'll move up. If you're motivated it's a great place for a career.

And those guys make good hires when they get out of restaurant field. They know the importance of the brand, procedure, discipline, and so on.

3 people like this post.
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2912
Likes: 190 posts
Liked in: 2129 posts
Joined: Mar 24th, 2015, 6:20 pm

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby Sparki55 » Jan 24th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Omnitheo wrote:Nah, Mcdonalds will promote people who get buddy buddy with the manager and give her shoulder rubs or take up smoking so they can hang outside together for a dozen smoke breaks a day. Or go to her slumber parties and get drunk despite being under age.

That was a long time ago. Unfortunately I’ve heard it’s still the same. Same with the manipulation of hours and cheating employees out of pay.


I have friends who disagree with you. I worked for McDonald's as well and have some first hand knowledge. It's a fine place to work and they treat people well. I even knew older folks who turned down management as they were happy where they were at. Choose to stay flipping burgers, get paid to flip burgers. Either move on to new jobs or move up and take on responsibilities.

2 people like this post.
Sparki55
Board Meister
 
Posts: 623
Likes: 435 posts
Liked in: 564 posts
Joined: Feb 24th, 2013, 1:38 pm

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby Omnitheo » Jan 24th, 2018, 11:40 pm

Sparki55 wrote:
Omnitheo wrote:Nah, Mcdonalds will promote people who get buddy buddy with the manager and give her shoulder rubs or take up smoking so they can hang outside together for a dozen smoke breaks a day. Or go to her slumber parties and get drunk despite being under age.

That was a long time ago. Unfortunately I’ve heard it’s still the same. Same with the manipulation of hours and cheating employees out of pay.


I have friends who disagree with you. I worked for McDonald's as well and have some first hand knowledge. It's a fine place to work and they treat people well. I even knew older folks who turned down management as they were happy where they were at. Choose to stay flipping burgers, get paid to flip burgers. Either move on to new jobs or move up and take on responsibilities.


Refer to my post here
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76240&start=90

From people who have been there more recently, I was dismayed to find these same practices still occurring.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
User avatar
Omnitheo
Guru
 
Posts: 5230
Likes: 7972 posts
Liked in: 4156 posts
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 9:10 am

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jan 25th, 2018, 12:05 am

^^ Are you perhaps overlooking the fact, that places such as McDonald's, are franchises, and not all owned by the same employer, thus you can't paint them all with the same brush, in so far as shady shenanigans goes?

I've known quite a number of young people, who worked at the one in Lake Country, and they didn't have anything negative to say.
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4393
Likes: 4655 posts
Liked in: 6466 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jan 25th, 2018, 12:11 am

beancounter wrote: Not every business owner is rich; many make less per hour than their employees when all is said and done.


Happens far more often than many of the "all business owners are rich greedy buggers, living off the backs of their hard done by employees" mindset types realize.
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey

5 people like this post.
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4393
Likes: 4655 posts
Liked in: 6466 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby Dizzy1 » Jan 25th, 2018, 4:04 am

Omnitheo wrote:Nah, Mcdonalds will promote people who get buddy buddy with the manager and give her shoulder rubs or take up smoking so they can hang outside together for a dozen smoke breaks a day. Or go to her slumber parties and get drunk despite being under age.

That was a long time ago. Unfortunately I’ve heard it’s still the same. Same with the manipulation of hours and cheating employees out of pay.

No difference then any other work place - some are good and some aren't. McDonald's is no exception. For the most part, most places recognize hard work and determination and award that with more responsibilities and a a higher pay scale rather than using a "buddy buddy" system. Nice excuse though :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5134 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: Stop Shaming Business Owners

Postby Dizzy1 » Jan 25th, 2018, 4:07 am

Sparki55 wrote:Fast food jobs are for high school students, some college students and people who really don't want to go anywhere. In McDonald's its not hard to move up. If you show initiative they will move you up the ladder to management. Some of my friends went this route, lots of business conferences and paid training. Be a dud and you'll end up a dud.

:up:

But in all fairness, its just easier not to give any effort and look for excuses like "they only promote people on a buddy-buddy system" [icon_lol2.gif]

Just had to add this ...

Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5134 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest