Good at math or not?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Good at math or not?

Post by alanjh595 »

Ka-El wrote:
oldtrucker wrote: Just thought I would come up with a really dumb practical math application for the Kelowna area.

Still, all very impressive answers :smt045

I agree, well thought out and interesting.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

I always felt that with some confidence and good direction, the average person can be competent with mathematics, at least to the point of passing the highest level in high-school (Calculus 12). After that things start to get a bit more challenging. CBC have a video basically supporting the value of confidence and proper teaching methods:
http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1146918979902/
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

GenesisGT wrote: nobody can see infinity.

I can it is about 123 feet away parked in my neighbours driveway.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

blue_moon wrote:There is a division of people into humanitarians and technicians. I think this is due to the work of the brain's hemispheres.

A N D....your point is? Just like there are significant differences in the human brain between sexes. Recognise and celebrate the differences. It would be a horrible planet to live on if we all thought within the same hemisphere of the brain.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

What's a hemisphere?
I'm not a brain surgeon so there's no doubt I, and many others don't know what that is.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bpeep wrote:What's a hemisphere?
I'm not a brain surgeon so there's no doubt I, and many others don't know what that is.

It's half of a sphere so just a polite way to say she/he has only half a brain.. :biggrin:
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

oldtrucker wrote:Barely passed until grade 9...then failed completely. Took grade 9 and 10 math the next year...failed completely.
Gave up after that.
Then I discovered that I really liked airplanes .
Was awesome at math after that.

Bingo.

I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. – A. Einstein

The ability to force yourself to pay attention will suffice to make you reasonably good at almost anything, but to truly excel, there needs to be passion.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

LANDM wrote:
GenesisGT wrote:but the edge of the universe is 46B LYrs from Knox Mtn.

Ahhhhh, the age-old human mistake of thinking we are the center of the universe.

Assuming an isotropic universe, (the same in all directions) everyone is at the center.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

[quote="oldtrucker"]The ability to force yourself to pay attention will suffice to make you reasonably good at almost anything, but to truly excel, there needs to be passion.
Yup...you nailed it. Passion. Without it, I would have not even be able to solo- never mind getting a commercial multi-IFR licence.Passion...you get it. Do you fly?

Nailed it. The passion takes it to another level. I socialize with retired 777 drivers and the flying part might be considered straight forward compared to his previous flying float planes on the coast but the knowledge of procedures and systems boggles my mind when flying halfway around the world.

Personally I don't fly but have had control of small stiff wings and helicopters in the past. Love flying helicopters.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

oldtrucker wrote:Yup...you nailed it. Passion. Without it, I would have not even be able to solo- never mind getting a commercial multi-IFR licence.
Passion...you get it. Do you fly?

Wind and air speed vectors aren't for me. Even my paper planes do an immediate nose plant. :D
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Yes..in testing I was scoring grade 8 level math in grade 5, advanced Math in High school and A's in University but it's not my favorite. My son on the other hand is really good at math and loves it. If he MLS career doesn't pan out he plans on being a Math teacher.

However my english is horrible.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Queen K wrote:Why are some people damned good at math, and some are definitely not?

Practice makes perfect.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

oldtrucker wrote:
WeatherWoman wrote:Yes..in testing I was scoring grade 8 level math in grade 5, advanced Math in High school and A's in University but it's not my favorite. My son on the other hand is really good at math and loves it. If he MLS career doesn't pan out he plans on being a Math teacher.

However my english is horrible.

I assume you do meteorology from your username?

I would love to do meteorology but no I manage Child Care programs and provide house support.

However if I did take the science route studying storms would be the kicker.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

oldtrucker wrote:So I'm driving in a 1975 Ford Pinto
Rear-end that sommmbich and you're going to go a lot faster than that.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

I used to be good at math, then they changed what math was, now what math is, is weird and scary to me.

Return to “Social Concerns”