Good at math or not?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Good at math or not?

Post by LANDM »

And are you asking for a horizontal view or by "south" do you mean towards the South Pole. If that is the case, then about 70 inches.i will leave the trivial conversion to km to you.
Last edited by LANDM on Jan 28th, 2018, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
You and 71 others Like this post
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Is it snowing hard like it is right now?
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I’ve instructed Fraü Farbissina to release a highly trained swallow, laden only with a gps tracker, so I can do the calculations on the second scenario from here and I will back up with figures from the appropriate mapping software. I usually use unladen swallows but they are only good for airspeed calculations.

The first scenario is simply a bit of trivial math.

I have given the answer for the third scenario.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

oldtrucker wrote:Good at math? Lets see if someone comes up with the answer for this super important, real world practical math question.---
---At the first lookout area up Knox Mountain...how far can you see line of sight in kilometers looking south assuming no surface obstacles ?
Show your work. Marks will be taken off if you don't.

I would have to know the elevation of the lookout point. I think I have the equation using the 3 4 5 rule and taking in the account of the curvature of the Earth. I could come up with the answer in miles and would just have to convert it to kms.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Gazing in a southerly direction, the sky is within my field of vision. I would be gazing into a boundless universe.

My answer: infinity
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

"The Earth's surface curves out of sight at a distance of 3.1 miles, or 5 kilometers. But our visual acuity extends far beyond the horizon. If Earth were flat, or if you were standing atop a mountain surveying a larger-than-usual patch of the planet, you could perceive bright lights hundreds of miles distant. On a dark night, you could even see a candle flame flickering up to 30 mi. (48 km) away."

https://www.livescience.com/33895-human-eye.html
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

My answer: potato salad.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Catsumi wrote:Gazing in a southerly direction, the sky is within my field of vision. I would be gazing into a boundless universe.

My answer: infinity

The maximum distance one can see from the earth is 46Billion light years, making your answer nonsensical, nobody can see infinity.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

oldtrucker wrote:
Uhhh. 13.35 Gly is it not?

Universe is 13Billion years old, that is the oldest light one can see, but the edge of the universe is 46B LYrs from Knox Mtn.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

oldtrucker wrote:Good at math? Lets see if someone comes up with the answer for this super important, real world practical math question.---
---At the first lookout area up Knox Mountain...how far can you see line of sight in kilometers looking south assuming no surface obstacles ?
Show your work. Marks will be taken off if you don't.

Im gonna go with "C"

or maybe true....
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

GenesisGT wrote:but the edge of the universe is 46B LYrs from Knox Mtn.

Ahhhhh, the age-old human mistake of thinking we are the center of the universe.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

We're not even near the centre of our own galaxy - and that's a very good thing for us.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

oldtrucker wrote:A. 34.23km
B. 17.98km
C. 41.87Km
D. 49.02km

Answer C. Good job 'Jhunter199' ...you got it right!

Lookout 445m above sea level
Lake level 342m above sea level
103 m/338 ft above lake surface level
sq.root of 338ft =18.38
18.38 x 1.23 =22.61nm
= 41.87 kms
Next time you are at the first lookout at Knox Mountain you will know the super important info that you can see for 41.87 km.

I got a different answer, but I could be wrong, that if the elevation is 103m, taking into account the curvature of the Earth, you can see roughly 36.2km. I worked this out using trig and Pythagoras' theorem, both giving answers within a few mm of each other.
Radius of earth in m 6.371*10^6, a^2+b^2=c^2 a=distance from centre of earth to lake level (6371342m), b=distance from eyes to horizon(x), c=distance from eyes to centre of earth(6371445)
=> 6371342^2+x^2=6371445^2
=> x=(6371445^2-6371342^2)^0.5
=36228.54m
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

The wonder of math, both answers are correct.

41.8km is the radio horizon distance (radio horizon) =4.12 * height of the antenna(square root)

36.2km is the line of sight distance
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

oldtrucker wrote: Just thought I would come up with a really dumb practical math application for the Kelowna area.

Still, all very impressive answers :smt045

Return to “Social Concerns”