Dangerous Jobs

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 31st, 2018, 12:33 pm

Some jobs that are sort of dangerous can become very dangerous in direct proportion to how fatigued a person is. That fatigue over a long period of time, perhaps years can adversely effect a persons overall health as well. Like if 'treeguy' was working 14 hours a day ,and was very tired and neglected to tie a safety line properly ,it could lead to a accident.Or, if I was working for 15 hours a day, day after day and fell asleep at the wheel...well...to nasty to think of.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
oldtrucker
Übergod
 
Posts: 1298
Likes: 13 posts
Liked in: 650 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2013, 3:19 pm
Location: Proxima Centauri B

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Postby TreeGuy » Jan 31st, 2018, 1:08 pm

oldtrucker wrote:Some jobs that are sort of dangerous can become very dangerous in direct proportion to how fatigued a person is. That fatigue over a long period of time, perhaps years can adversely effect a persons overall health as well. Like if 'treeguy' was working 14 hours a day ,and was very tired and neglected to tie a safety line properly ,it could lead to a accident.Or, if I was working for 15 hours a day, day after day and fell asleep at the wheel...well...to nasty to think of.


Oh sure you had to 1 up me on the hours worked. LMAO

2 people like this post.
User avatar
TreeGuy
Moderator
 
Posts: 2818
Likes: 1472 posts
Liked in: 2814 posts
Joined: Oct 9th, 2005, 9:02 pm
Location: Westbank

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 31st, 2018, 1:15 pm

Dangerous job.

Voicing personal opinions and views to someone with an opposing view.

Specially when they are bat- :swear: crazy raving lunatics. :smt045

[icon_lol2.gif]
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

2 people like this post.
dirtybiker
Guru
 
Posts: 6639
Likes: 6277 posts
Liked in: 2982 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2008, 6:00 pm
Location: Central OK

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Postby normaM » Jan 31st, 2018, 2:26 pm

My Daddy had a dangerous job, Welder on shut downs. Get a flash in face/body, step back and you don't bounce. Know an Ice Pilot ( big nope)
But I bet most workplace jobs are more mundane type jobs- people get tired/careless. Figure a dangerous job ppl would stay on their toes and alert.
Worked with a fair number of clients who were injured ( badly) at jobs, seemingly safe jobs like Dog Groomer.
I'm so scared of things happening I wear a bike helmet having sex :)
Don't think yourself as an ugly person... Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey

4 people like this post.
User avatar
normaM
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16596
Likes: 5057 posts
Liked in: 3401 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2007, 6:28 am

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Postby Smurf » Jan 31st, 2018, 7:02 pm

The good old days, before unions, safety etc.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/7QCYDzsQ_yM?rel=0
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
Smurf
Guru
 
Posts: 9402
Likes: 15371 posts
Liked in: 5796 posts
Joined: Aug 12th, 2006, 7:55 am
Location: Okanagan BC

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 31st, 2018, 10:47 pm

TreeGuy wrote:
oldtrucker wrote:Some jobs that are sort of dangerous can become very dangerous in direct proportion to how fatigued a person is. That fatigue over a long period of time, perhaps years can adversely effect a persons overall health as well. Like if 'treeguy' was working 14 hours a day ,and was very tired and neglected to tie a safety line properly ,it could lead to a accident.Or, if I was working for 15 hours a day, day after day and fell asleep at the wheel...well...to nasty to think of.


Oh sure you had to 1 up me on the hours worked. LMAO


Ops,I didn't mean to one up you. Most of my days are 14 hours. Once a month-ish 18 hours. Couple times a year- over 20. Exhausting and dangerous. Anything over 16 and I feel physically sick.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

TreeGuy likes this post.
User avatar
oldtrucker
Übergod
 
Posts: 1298
Likes: 13 posts
Liked in: 650 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2013, 3:19 pm
Location: Proxima Centauri B

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Postby Queen K » Jan 31st, 2018, 10:50 pm

J H C, I got attacked with a walker once. :200: ^^ But this?
Could it be that a whole life can shift the day one starts telling the truth about what makes one happy?
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 53802
Likes: 12620 posts
Liked in: 13297 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Postby TreeGuy » Feb 1st, 2018, 5:59 am

oldtrucker wrote:Some jobs that are sort of dangerous can become very dangerous in direct proportion to how fatigued a person is. That fatigue over a long period of time, perhaps years can adversely effect a persons overall health as well. Like if 'treeguy' was working 14 hours a day ,and was very tired and neglected to tie a safety line properly ,it could lead to a accident.Or, if I was working for 15 hours a day, day after day and fell asleep at the wheel...well...to nasty to think of.


[quote=“TreeGuy”]Oh sure you had to 1 up me on the hours worked. LMAO[/quote]

oldtrucker wrote:Ops,I didn't mean to one up you. Most of my days are 14 hours. Once a month-ish 18 hours. Couple times a year- over 20. Exhausting and dangerous. Anything over 16 and I feel physically sick.


We do 4 12’s when plowing, but often you get called in for extra shifts. I can’t remember how days straight I worked last year but after awhile you can’t think straight. Bouncing around that cab, controlling the blades and sander while avoiding morons on the road gets difficult when your brain is foggy.

youhavegottobekidding likes this post.
User avatar
TreeGuy
Moderator
 
Posts: 2818
Likes: 1472 posts
Liked in: 2814 posts
Joined: Oct 9th, 2005, 9:02 pm
Location: Westbank

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Postby TreeGuy » Feb 1st, 2018, 6:04 am

When I was in GF Strong I shared a room with an old guy that rolled his gravel truck. His front tire blew which made him lose control, he went over the shoulder and the truck just started rolling. He said his seat became unattached from the floor. He was in pretty good shape considering, what he went through and the fact that he was 70 years old. He was determined to leave there walking.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
TreeGuy
Moderator
 
Posts: 2818
Likes: 1472 posts
Liked in: 2814 posts
Joined: Oct 9th, 2005, 9:02 pm
Location: Westbank

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Postby oldtrucker » Feb 20th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Now that I think back...when I was 19 yrs old, I had a complete engine failure at low altitude while flying in Northern Sask-didn't even have time to call mayday. Put it down in a field, two hours later had the problem fixed and took off. It was a clip that came loose that holds the fuel mixture control in place.
Had a complete electrical failure on approach into Lethbridge ,at night during a snowstorm while flying a light twin...list goes on.

...No wonder I had trouble sleeping. If that crap happened to me now ,I would have a bloody heart attack.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
oldtrucker
Übergod
 
Posts: 1298
Likes: 13 posts
Liked in: 650 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2013, 3:19 pm
Location: Proxima Centauri B

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Postby oldtrucker » Feb 27th, 2018, 3:52 pm

"Safety of the Coq. questioned" in the news headlines. Really? About time. Every time a driver spins out and has to get out to put chains on, or has to stop on a icy blind corner....
Get some gravel on the road-please maintenance crews so I, or my friends don't die.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

LTD likes this post.
User avatar
oldtrucker
Übergod
 
Posts: 1298
Likes: 13 posts
Liked in: 650 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2013, 3:19 pm
Location: Proxima Centauri B

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Postby CapitalB » Feb 27th, 2018, 3:59 pm

oldtrucker wrote:Get some gravel on the road-please maintenance crews so I, or my friends don't die.


Its so expensive to keep them on call all the time though.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
User avatar
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 839
Likes: 418 posts
Liked in: 552 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2017, 11:27 am

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Postby oldtrucker » Feb 27th, 2018, 4:27 pm

CapitalB wrote:
oldtrucker wrote:Get some gravel on the road-please maintenance crews so I, or my friends don't die.


Its so expensive to keep them on call all the time though.


Forecast was for snow, and the trucks are out there with sand/gravel in them anyway. That area known as the 'rock cut' and the 'smasher' would not have anywhere close to the problems they have if it was maintained properly.
No gravel or maintenance =...step on up, your the next star on "highway Thru Hell".
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
User avatar
oldtrucker
Übergod
 
Posts: 1298
Likes: 13 posts
Liked in: 650 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2013, 3:19 pm
Location: Proxima Centauri B

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Postby CapitalB » Feb 27th, 2018, 4:42 pm

oldtrucker wrote:
Forecast was for snow, and the trucks are out there with sand/gravel in them anyway. That area known as the 'rock cut' and the 'smasher' would not have anywhere close to the problems they have if it was maintained properly.
No gravel or maintenance =...step on up, your the next star on "highway Thru Hell".


For whatever reason they don't seem to pay attention to forecasts really. Probably a budgetary matter, I'm sure after all the problems this year they'll increase funds next year. I mean they could just keep the funds there but they most likely remove them after the see a decrease in traffic accidents.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
User avatar
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 839
Likes: 418 posts
Liked in: 552 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2017, 11:27 am

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Postby Gixxer » Feb 28th, 2018, 8:59 am

Yup driving a logging. Always a fun time working long hours, poor road conditions & lack of sleep
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4449
Likes: 897 posts
Liked in: 1512 posts
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 7:24 am

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Silverstarqueen and 3 guests