Dangerous Jobs

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 27th, 2018, 12:56 pm

The most dangerous? Ya that is subjective. I think I was getting at the wear down factor over time
as well as the here and now " you're gonna die in 3 seconds skippy".
Most dangerous....I'm thinking...K...Single engine trans Atlantic ferry pilot.
You are invited to attend extinction event number 6. Enjoy.
oldtrucker
Board Meister

Liked in: 369 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 27th, 2018, 1:01 pm

oldtrucker wrote: " you're gonna die in 3 seconds skippy".

Faced that one down a few times. Honestly...

Yet, .............here I stll go..

Shocks the heck outa me too...
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 2763 posts

Postby JayByrd » Jan 27th, 2018, 6:12 pm

Queen K wrote:

Whoa there, CHWS can be slapped, punched, other wise hit, kicked, physically dragged down to the floor if a client falls and grabs on to us, needle stick injuries and if you count being infected by viruses as physical, then yup, physical indeed.

Yes I know. I was referring to situations such as verbal abuse or sexual harassment, which you alluded to in your post. Stuff that doesn't necessarily result in a Worksafe claim yet is still harmful to the worker subjected to it.
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
'cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues.

Queen K likes this post.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1208 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 27th, 2018, 6:34 pm

I once had a job as an Industrial off road, end dump driver. I drove one of those big 'Tonka" trucks.....during the Hope slide highway rebuild, 40 years ago. I was almost killed twice during my time there.
One of the greatest experiences of my life. Not the death part, but the experience of being a driver of such a large truck.
I did have to deal with a man that was killed in an explosion and had to assist with picking up the bits and pieces of what was left of him for the coroner. I was 22 at the time.
alanjh595
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2200 posts

Postby MAPearce » Jan 27th, 2018, 8:17 pm

Queen K wrote:Sure do. So many things can happen in Healthcare it isn't funny. I'll elaborate later.

Yeah , sometimes Momma comes home wrecked...

oldtrucker » Yesterday, 5:20 pm

Healthcare....I'm gonna guess workplace violence?

It goes deeper than that Truck... When the wife comes home at midnight and goes straight to the kids beds just to make sure they're "there" , I know she had a rough shift ...
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 3622 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 27th, 2018, 8:40 pm

Any job were a person risks their life to do that job, is in my opinion a dangerous job. as an example: military combat position/Afghanistan (this one is a bit extreme)
Next up: 2018 Memorial Cup, May 17–27, 2018. Teams QJMHL Acadie-Bathurst Titan, OHL Hamilton Bulldogs, WHL Swift Current Broncos & Host Team/Regina Pats

Temet Nosce likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6840 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 27th, 2018, 9:58 pm

'MAPearce' Obviously a very bad night at work.

MAPearce likes this post.
oldtrucker
Board Meister

Postby seewood » Jan 27th, 2018, 11:59 pm

GordonH wrote:Any job were a person risks their life to do that job, is in my opinion a dangerous job. as an example: military combat position/Afghanistan (this one is a bit extreme)

As mentioned in an earlier post I did have what would be considered a dangerous job.
I was thinking about the post tonight and really, as you mentioned above, I believe doing something where there is/are people Trying to take your life is in my opinion pretty much at the top of the heap.
All the training in the world and a 150 grain piece of copper and lead at 2400 fps........
Thank you vets and people that have signed up past and present.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

5 people like this post.
seewood
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 771 posts

Postby Queen K » Jan 28th, 2018, 5:43 pm

Today I was considering everyone who had to drive those roads, especially in the early AM. There is a long list of people who were obliged to drive to the treacherous conditions.
Our saddest days are when we add up our losses, and losses seem to be our saddest when we lose our best. Proud to be a "Leaf-licker" and I know who else is too. **smiles**

2 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 12097 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 28th, 2018, 10:30 pm

seewood wrote:
GordonH wrote:Any job were a person risks their life to do that job, is in my opinion a dangerous job. as an example: military combat position/Afghanistan (this one is a bit extreme)

As mentioned in an earlier post I did have what would be considered a dangerous job.
I was thinking about the post tonight and really, as you mentioned above, I believe doing something where there is/are people Trying to take your life is in my opinion pretty much at the top of the heap.
All the training in the world and a 150 grain piece of copper and lead at 2400 fps........
Thank you vets and people that have signed up past and present.

It would absolutely have the 'your gonna die in 3 seconds Skippy' factor to it. Probably couldn't do it for too long before-
1. You get killed or, 2. Lost it upstairs because you did it for too long.

2 people like this post.
oldtrucker
Board Meister

Postby youjustcomplain » Jan 29th, 2018, 11:41 am

lesliepaul wrote:Looked at several "dangerous job" sites and as I thought, Firemen are NOT on the Top 10 list. In fact, on a couple of sites Firemen were rated "less dangerous" than cashiers. Time for this financial drain on taxpayers to be reigned in.

What a foolish statement. In the past, I've called posts "ignorant" and my post has been removed because I was attacking the person.... so I guess I can't call it ignorant anymore. Fine. It's not based on fact, nor is it well thought out.

I am a fire fighter. That said, I'm not going to argue with you. If you're interested, I'll offer my different perspective.

Have you heard of first responder line of duty deaths? They happen. Police and Fire service are most affected by this, but also ambulance workers if you include mental health issues that lead to suicide.

To the public, I'd assume most people think of structure fires as the most dangerous part of my job. In some ways, it is. In others, not so much. The fire sends a lot of carcinogens into the atmosphere, and due to proximity, those are absorbed or breathed in by firefighters. This leads to higher rates of cancer later in life. Almost all fire apparatus are parked indoors and with exhaust vacuum systems in place, but still, diesel exhaust does build up indoors and is breathed in by fire fighters. This, too, leads to cancer.
Many of the deaths we see lead to haunting memories which, in some cases, compounds into mental health issues which can lead to both mental and physical health issues.

I don't know what the purpose of the thread was, but I don't think it was an opportunity to call to lower wages to people who risk their lives to help strangers. Maybe make your own thread to advocate for this change rather than hyjacking someone elses.

3 people like this post.
youjustcomplain
Board Meister

Liked in: 384 posts

Postby Temet Nosce » Jan 29th, 2018, 11:57 am

lesliepaul wrote:Looked at several "dangerous job" sites and as I thought, Firemen are NOT on the Top 10 list. In fact, on a couple of sites Firemen were rated "less dangerous" than cashiers. Time for this financial drain on taxpayers to be reigned in.

You may change your perspective if you reviewed the occupational diseases and high cancer rates among firefighters--including the horrible deaths I have witnessed of those with brain cancer. Tragically, those with longer term service (before adequate protective gear) are now dying of cancer just at (or just into) their retirement.
EDIT I should add a certain types of cancer more prevalent in that age/risk group, however, all are exposed and have higher rates overall.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Liked in: 500 posts

Postby TreeGuy » Jan 29th, 2018, 12:08 pm

If you read the OP I think this thread is more about jobs that are dangerous as they are being executed. There are plenty of jobs where the hazards are accumulated over the course of a career and show up as disease or mental health issues.

dirtybiker likes this post.
TreeGuy

Liked in: 2222 posts

Postby Temet Nosce » Jan 29th, 2018, 12:21 pm

TreeGuy wrote:If you read the OP I think this thread is more about jobs that are dangerous as they are being executed. There are plenty of jobs where the hazards are accumulated over the course of a career and show up as disease or mental health issues.

Fair comment, I guess I could add to my post about comparing rates of death and injury among fire fighters but figured everyone knew that already. I admit TG I also have an agenda. As I once promised some who are no longer here, I take every opportunity to talk about the rates of brain cancer among the risk groups mentioned above to hopefully also to raise awareness and encourage those who fall into that group to get screened. VERY often by the time this cancer is discovered it is far too late and inoperable. I'll leave it at that... so :topic:

2 people like this post.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Liked in: 500 posts

Postby Queen K » Jan 29th, 2018, 12:21 pm

TreeGuy wrote:If you read the OP I think this thread is more about jobs that are dangerous as they are being executed. There are plenty of jobs where the hazards are accumulated over the course of a career and show up as disease or mental health issues.

Oh Treeguy, I assure you firemen are doing dangerous jobs are they are executed. It's not all stand with a hose directed at water. They have to run into burning buildings, risk all kinds of things to do their jobs in real time. My cousin is a fireman in Vancouver and for every fire I hear about I am on pins and needles for him.
Our saddest days are when we add up our losses, and losses seem to be our saddest when we lose our best. Proud to be a "Leaf-licker" and I know who else is too. **smiles**

Temet Nosce likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 12097 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns