Dangerous Jobs

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Post by GordonH »

Any job were a person risks their life to do that job, is in my opinion a dangerous job. as an example: military combat position/Afghanistan (this one is a bit extreme)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

GordonH wrote:Any job were a person risks their life to do that job, is in my opinion a dangerous job. as an example: military combat position/Afghanistan (this one is a bit extreme)

As mentioned in an earlier post I did have what would be considered a dangerous job.
I was thinking about the post tonight and really, as you mentioned above, I believe doing something where there is/are people Trying to take your life is in my opinion pretty much at the top of the heap.
All the training in the world and a 150 grain piece of copper and lead at 2400 fps........
Thank you vets and people that have signed up past and present.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Today I was considering everyone who had to drive those roads, especially in the early AM. There is a long list of people who were obliged to drive to the treacherous conditions.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

lesliepaul wrote:Looked at several "dangerous job" sites and as I thought, Firemen are NOT on the Top 10 list. In fact, on a couple of sites Firemen were rated "less dangerous" than cashiers. Time for this financial drain on taxpayers to be reigned in.

What a foolish statement. In the past, I've called posts "ignorant" and my post has been removed because I was attacking the person.... so I guess I can't call it ignorant anymore. Fine. It's not based on fact, nor is it well thought out.

I am a fire fighter. That said, I'm not going to argue with you. If you're interested, I'll offer my different perspective.

Have you heard of first responder line of duty deaths? They happen. Police and Fire service are most affected by this, but also ambulance workers if you include mental health issues that lead to suicide.

To the public, I'd assume most people think of structure fires as the most dangerous part of my job. In some ways, it is. In others, not so much. The fire sends a lot of carcinogens into the atmosphere, and due to proximity, those are absorbed or breathed in by firefighters. This leads to higher rates of cancer later in life. Almost all fire apparatus are parked indoors and with exhaust vacuum systems in place, but still, diesel exhaust does build up indoors and is breathed in by fire fighters. This, too, leads to cancer.
Many of the deaths we see lead to haunting memories which, in some cases, compounds into mental health issues which can lead to both mental and physical health issues.

I don't know what the purpose of the thread was, but I don't think it was an opportunity to call to lower wages to people who risk their lives to help strangers. Maybe make your own thread to advocate for this change rather than hyjacking someone elses.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

lesliepaul wrote:Looked at several "dangerous job" sites and as I thought, Firemen are NOT on the Top 10 list. In fact, on a couple of sites Firemen were rated "less dangerous" than cashiers. Time for this financial drain on taxpayers to be reigned in.

You may change your perspective if you reviewed the occupational diseases and high cancer rates among firefighters--including the horrible deaths I have witnessed of those with brain cancer. Tragically, those with longer term service (before adequate protective gear) are now dying of cancer just at (or just into) their retirement.
EDIT I should add a certain types of cancer more prevalent in that age/risk group, however, all are exposed and have higher rates overall.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

If you read the OP I think this thread is more about jobs that are dangerous as they are being executed. There are plenty of jobs where the hazards are accumulated over the course of a career and show up as disease or mental health issues.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

TreeGuy wrote:If you read the OP I think this thread is more about jobs that are dangerous as they are being executed. There are plenty of jobs where the hazards are accumulated over the course of a career and show up as disease or mental health issues.

Fair comment, I guess I could add to my post about comparing rates of death and injury among fire fighters but figured everyone knew that already. I admit TG I also have an agenda. As I once promised some who are no longer here, I take every opportunity to talk about the rates of brain cancer among the risk groups mentioned above to hopefully also to raise awareness and encourage those who fall into that group to get screened. VERY often by the time this cancer is discovered it is far too late and inoperable. I'll leave it at that... so :topic:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

TreeGuy wrote:If you read the OP I think this thread is more about jobs that are dangerous as they are being executed. There are plenty of jobs where the hazards are accumulated over the course of a career and show up as disease or mental health issues.

Oh Treeguy, I assure you firemen are doing dangerous jobs are they are executed. It's not all stand with a hose directed at water. They have to run into burning buildings, risk all kinds of things to do their jobs in real time. My cousin is a fireman in Vancouver and for every fire I hear about I am on pins and needles for him.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

Okay I lied one last plug..... you can watch it live.

http://calgarystairclimb.com/
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Thanks to all those that put themselves out there for the safety of others.

How about them rock scale workers we see dangling from lines
all over the place ?
Keeping debris from falling on our heads.

A plethora of safety measures, still, must be dangerous.

I'm sure self confidence in ability while keeping complacency in check
has a great deal to do with how dangerous any job could be.

I know a couple people who lost appendages and limbs at jobs
not even deemed as dangerous, just one hand/arm getting caught
in machinery while the other hand was busy doing something else.

Must be where the saying, "The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing."
comes from.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

That's too bad because to me the most dangerous careers are those that provide zero intrinsic reward, have no control over and cause them to just hang on until they can retire, even though they're not certain they will ever be able to afford to. While I've heard about some jobs that sound dangerous, many also seem rewarding. I feel more sorry for those that need to drink every night to get over the dread of having to do it all over again in the morning. The hopelessness that hangs over people who've lost control of thier career, is in my opinion, more dangerous than doing what you love even if it does come with risk.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Queen K wrote:Oh Treeguy, I assure you firemen are doing dangerous jobs are they are executed. It's not all stand with a hose directed at water. They have to run into burning buildings, risk all kinds of things to do their jobs in real time. My cousin is a fireman in Vancouver and for every fire I hear about I am on pins and needles for him.

Oh Queen K, (see how that sounds condescending?)If you read one of my previous posts in this thread you will see that I was a POC firefighter for 2 years. On average I attended 25 calls per month. Firefighters are probably the most well trained careers out there, they are always training. And when they go into a structure fire they go in as a team and there is always back up to rescue them. Other careers have less training, with no team or back up.

Edited to add: I also served 5 1/2 years as an Army Reservist. I never saw active combat but spent many weekends training for it.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Then there are workplace training that may not be dangerous on the the physical aspect, but then there are some that are psychological ramifications that will live on forever on the internet and may be cause for a PTSD claim.

Bring back the LIKE button.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Wood chippers are extremely dangerous. My employees got a full orientation before using it and I kept a close eye on them while it was being used.

One of the dangers is that an employee grabs a pile of brush to run through the chipper. They don’t realize that the climbers rope is tangled up in it and they shove it into the chipper......

dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Holy Moly, that happens quick !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Social Concerns”