Dangerous Jobs

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Postby Temet Nosce » Jan 29th, 2018, 12:25 pm

Okay I lied one last plug..... you can watch it live.

http://calgarystairclimb.com/

dirtybiker likes this post.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Liked in: 512 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 29th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Thanks to all those that put themselves out there for the safety of others.

How about them rock scale workers we see dangling from lines
all over the place ?
Keeping debris from falling on our heads.

A plethora of safety measures, still, must be dangerous.

I'm sure self confidence in ability while keeping complacency in check
has a great deal to do with how dangerous any job could be.

I know a couple people who lost appendages and limbs at jobs
not even deemed as dangerous, just one hand/arm getting caught
in machinery while the other hand was busy doing something else.

Must be where the saying, "The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing."
comes from.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 2799 posts

Postby Poindexter » Jan 29th, 2018, 12:44 pm

TreeGuy wrote:If you read the OP I think this thread is more about jobs that are dangerous as they are being executed. There are plenty of jobs where the hazards are accumulated over the course of a career and show up as disease or mental health issues.

That's too bad because to me the most dangerous careers are those that provide zero intrinsic reward, have no control over and cause them to just hang on until they can retire, even though they're not certain they will ever be able to afford to. While I've heard about some jobs that sound dangerous, many also seem rewarding. I feel more sorry for those that need to drink every night to get over the dread of having to do it all over again in the morning. The hopelessness that hangs over people who've lost control of thier career, is in my opinion, more dangerous than doing what you love even if it does come with risk.
Poindexter
Guru

Liked in: 4199 posts

Postby TreeGuy » Jan 29th, 2018, 12:57 pm

TreeGuy wrote:If you read the OP I think this thread is more about jobs that are dangerous as they are being executed. There are plenty of jobs where the hazards are accumulated over the course of a career and show up as disease or mental health issues.

Queen K wrote:Oh Treeguy, I assure you firemen are doing dangerous jobs are they are executed. It's not all stand with a hose directed at water. They have to run into burning buildings, risk all kinds of things to do their jobs in real time. My cousin is a fireman in Vancouver and for every fire I hear about I am on pins and needles for him.

Oh Queen K, (see how that sounds condescending?)If you read one of my previous posts in this thread you will see that I was a POC firefighter for 2 years. On average I attended 25 calls per month. Firefighters are probably the most well trained careers out there, they are always training. And when they go into a structure fire they go in as a team and there is always back up to rescue them. Other careers have less training, with no team or back up.

Edited to add: I also served 5 1/2 years as an Army Reservist. I never saw active combat but spent many weekends training for it.
TreeGuy

Liked in: 2480 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 29th, 2018, 2:27 pm

Then there are workplace training that may not be dangerous on the the physical aspect, but then there are some that are psychological ramifications that will live on forever on the internet and may be cause for a PTSD claim.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

2 people like this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 3032 posts

Postby TreeGuy » Jan 29th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Wood chippers are extremely dangerous. My employees got a full orientation before using it and I kept a close eye on them while it was being used.

One of the dangers is that an employee grabs a pile of brush to run through the chipper. They don’t realize that the climbers rope is tangled up in it and they shove it into the chipper......

TreeGuy

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 29th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Holy Moly, that happens quick !
dirtybiker
Guru

Postby TreeGuy » Jan 29th, 2018, 6:30 pm

dirtybiker wrote:Holy Moly, that happens quick !

Yup! When I was up a tree and they are dragging branches away I kept a sharp eye on my rope.

I also worked with a guy years ago that got out of the bucket truck and for some reason he was walking around with his lanyard still attached and dragging, moron, you are supposed to un-attach it from your harness and leave it attached to the boom. It got caught up in some brush and was fed into a chuck and duck chipper. Smashed his head on the shroud and KO'd him, luckily the rope broke off and didn't keep feeding.
TreeGuy

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 29th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Many years ago worked with a guy, first time pulling over-length
he cut a corner too tight, hooked a bucket equipped line service van
that had a man up in the bucket working.

Needless to say, when they ended up face to face after he
came down.
The language was a tad strong.

Pretty sure that was many years before fall protection was a part of
any height work.

TreeGuy likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Postby Catsumi » Jan 29th, 2018, 11:07 pm

Does anyone know the purpose of a 2,000 foot pole with a lightbulb topping? :200:
There is nothing government can give you that it hasn't taken from you in the first place.
Winston Churchill
Catsumi
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2003 posts

Postby Smurf » Jan 30th, 2018, 7:05 am

I believe one like the one shown in the video above are usually warning lights on top of high towers such as communication towers. They are not just a straight tower for the light but they are dangerous to get to.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Catsumi likes this post.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 5576 posts

Postby oneh2obabe » Jan 30th, 2018, 9:50 am

Catsumi wrote:Does anyone know the purpose of a 2,000 foot pole with a lightbulb topping? :200:

Aircraft warning lights
A high-intensity white strobe light is used on structures that are taller than 700 feet (213.4 meters). These lights provide the highest visibility both day and night.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

2 people like this post.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 5776 posts

Postby seewood » Jan 30th, 2018, 9:57 am

oneh2obabe wrote:Aircraft warning lightsA high-intensity white strobe light is used on structures that are taller than 700 feet (213.4 meters). These lights provide the highest visibility both day and night

The Loran tower west of Williams Lake was really tall and had one. The strobe at dusk could be seen pretty far south.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Catsumi likes this post.
seewood
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 985 posts

Postby seewood » Jan 30th, 2018, 10:03 am

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/th ... e16352517/

Must be some statistical conclusion....
I am not wealthy but I am rich

TreeGuy likes this post.
seewood
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 985 posts

Postby TreeGuy » Jan 30th, 2018, 11:26 am

seewood wrote:https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/and-the-top-10-most-dangerous-jobs-are/article16352517/

Must be some statistical conclusion....

I would have thought that farmers would’ve been further up the list. Maybe there is just last reporting on that because they are family owned and ran.

And not surprisingly fireman did not make the list. See my previous comment on this further up the thread.
TreeGuy

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns