Dangerous Jobs

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Post by CapitalB »

oldtrucker wrote:Get some gravel on the road-please maintenance crews so I, or my friends don't die.

Its so expensive to keep them on call all the time though.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

oldtrucker wrote:
Forecast was for snow, and the trucks are out there with sand/gravel in them anyway. That area known as the 'rock cut' and the 'smasher' would not have anywhere close to the problems they have if it was maintained properly.
No gravel or maintenance =...step on up, your the next star on "highway Thru Hell".

For whatever reason they don't seem to pay attention to forecasts really. Probably a budgetary matter, I'm sure after all the problems this year they'll increase funds next year. I mean they could just keep the funds there but they most likely remove them after the see a decrease in traffic accidents.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Yup driving a logging. Always a fun time working long hours, poor road conditions & lack of sleep
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Never hauled logs. Swamped on some big rig moving iron. Off Highway trucking. Rollin around the bush in giant bed trucks. Pick up a shack and f off. The power of these trucks is incredible. Many have 150 ton winch plus auxillary winch at 30 or 50 tons.

Worked on some western style rigs. Got pretty tough down around Kindersley when i was a young fella. Running the last double fast line rig anyone knew about. Drinking near professionally. Worked with so many crack heads and drunks. So many days with no sleep going to work. Barely get into the truck.

Brooks was worse. Whole crew was on crack. Lasted 6 months in the best western. Crack dealers were on stand by for our crew. Consultant was on it too. Top down it was a gong show. Lucky i survived.

Lloyd made brooks look like a cakewalk. Lloyd was out of control. What happens in lloydminster. Stays in lloydminster.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

I worked in an Ottawa government office, saw a fellow employee get a nasty paper cut, blood everywhere, had to rush him to the nursing station, two yes two bandaids, three weeks off recuperating, rest of us had to have PTSD consuelling. Work Safety determined we had to have special training before anyone could handle paper again. Took over two months to train everyone.

Still have nightmares of that ugly incident, which helps with receiving a bonus on the pension for stress caused in the workplace.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

oldtrucker wrote:So...I was up on a mountain logging road that had the typical less than one lane cut out of a cliff side. Truck and trailer at 17 tons empty. While climbing a the hill, it spun out and slid backwards, accelerating faster and faster...I jumped out just in the nick of time before it went off the cliff. Another near life experience. Minor injuries only.

Wait a sec, you mean this was recent? :200:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

oldtrucker wrote:'near life experience'

"Full Life Experience"

...the adventure continues... lol
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Thankfully :200:

Who got to pull the truck out? Tow truck driving is also a dangerous job, right?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

How about search and rescue.

Never done it for real. But i have covered a lot of ground.

Imagine getting woke up middle of the night. Have to rescue these two boneheads.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/242327 ... kers-saved
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

How about Military personnel in a War zone?
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Search and rescue is a very dangerous volunteer situation. Sometimes what they find is so traumatizing that the members need counselling.

It's a very special calling. Takes training, patience and team work.

I can not imagine getting those calls, but the man I know who participates in S and A takes a great deal of time to take special courses and practice rescues. The technical knowledge they need is vast and the equipment they need is expensive.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Sometimes, the psychological damage that is caused to unpaid, volunteer, rescuers can be much more dangerous than the physical aspects.
A broken leg will take 6 weeks to heal, psychological damage, may never heal.

Good point QueenK.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

In my job, many people are found passed away. And not always from natural causes either. I know people who had to take LOAs.

I've had walkers thrust hard at my legs.
Been hit.
Had sexual innuendo given out.
Been asked to pull dead weight up off a low surface.
Had things thrown at me.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Queen K wrote:Tow truck driving is also a dangerous job, right?

MVA scenes...

Queen K wrote:...Sometimes what they find is so traumatizing that the members need counselling.

...and in that respect they are often overlooked
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

^^ I'd say they're better at looking over a wallet when they get a call for a tow that isn't cover by BCAA ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Social Concerns”