One million Canadians will have dementia in fifteen years

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

One million Canadians will have dementia in fifteen years

Postby Thinktank » Jan 27th, 2018, 8:17 am

Remember how they told us that dementia and alzheimers disease and other diseases
are just a normal part of growing old? They said pharmaceutical drugs are making us live longer
and that's why we're so sick and unhealthy? Because of being old.

He's 94 years old. Does he look like he has dementia or alzheimers disease? It's not getting old that causes
all our diseases. It's something else.

so what do you think Kissinger does that makes him live forever? I see he wants a war in north Korea, lately.
But what else does he do?

Anyone know?
Ukraine is broke, and undertook a war on that portion of the country that provided 30% of GDP. Now a draft, for an army, for a war, for a government that will - get this - implement IMF/EU *austerity*.

the truth likes this post.
Thinktank
Guru

Liked in: 541 posts

Re: One million Canadians will have dementia in fifteen year

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 27th, 2018, 8:47 am

The rate of several indicators or diseases of Old age, such as dementia, heart disease, cancer,poor circulation, obesity, kidney disease are much higher in those who have had higher than normal blood sugars usually from middle age onward. "That won't be me" is what most people believe. The doctors won't tell you until you have full blown diabetes, that by the way, you are at higher risk for dementia, heart attack, cancer, etc. But the slightly elevated blood sugars are doing their damage long before your doctor gives the official diagnosis. If doctors were screening everyone for even slightly elevated sugars, and then got them on diet and exercise programs (and medication for some) that lowered those, an awful lot of these conditions would not be developing in the first place, or would strike at a much later age. If everyone aimed to keep their blood sugar below 100 (u.s. measures) or 5.5 (canadian measures), even after meals, if their HbA1C was below 5., all of these conditions of old age would be greatly reduced. But who's counting?
Rate of dementia for those with diabetes is double or more then those without.
Future estimate of numbers of people with diabetes: 20% of population, 26% by 2020. The rate is much higher in certain populations. 60% of Canadians are overweight, only a matter of time before many of them are diabetic.

rustled likes this post.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 1917 posts

Postby Thinktank » Jan 27th, 2018, 11:28 am

Thinktank wrote:
so what do you think Kissinger does that makes him live forever?

The internet is amazing. I found out Henry Kissinger is a regular at the Four Seasons Restaurant in Manhattan.
Here's one item on the menu for the stinking rich :
http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/th ... /main.html
filet of bison haricot vert, foie gras, pistachio US$68.00

that's about $100 Canadian, WITHOUT ANYTHING TO DRINK. I would definitely order water to drink if I ate there .....regularly.

for the rest of us poor people who are going to get dementia "from old age" while Henry Kissinger lives a long time with a perfect mind - we get coupons to save $1.00. :up:

Kissinger eats there ^. Looks like good service. And good food.
Ukraine is broke, and undertook a war on that portion of the country that provided 30% of GDP. Now a draft, for an army, for a war, for a government that will - get this - implement IMF/EU *austerity*.
Thinktank
Guru

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 27th, 2018, 3:54 pm

Ummm...forgot why I'm here.
Some would view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them...That should just about cover why some nations are laughing at how soft and weak we have become.

4 people like this post.
oldtrucker
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 450 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 27th, 2018, 4:47 pm

That statistic is very concerning and very personal to me.
I have been caring for my mother with Alzheimer's for 14 years and full time over the last 2 years with rapid onset Dementia.

This is a very heartbreaking disease, and very hard on caregivers. There is a reason it's called the "Long Good-Bye".

If anyone would like to talk about this confidentially, feel free to contact me via PM. i am willing to share my experiences and maybe able to help others that are just starting this journey.

I have done it alone, and have made many mistakes along the way. Maybe, I can help someone else avoid the the mistakes I made.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

5 people like this post.
alanjh595
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2404 posts

Postby BoB76 » Jan 28th, 2018, 7:16 pm

Oh great get it in everyone’s head that denentia will be everywhere. First it’s all the aDD kids now it’ll be Demetria. People are just idiots so stop blaming it on disease. Some people need to be diagnosed with [email protected]&$&eism and that would make sense.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
BoB76
Guru

Liked in: 115 posts

Postby willow2 » Feb 1st, 2018, 3:57 pm

It doesn't have to be that way if more people where educated about the facts.
There is a epidemic of heart disease and high cholesterol. First thing a doctor does when he sees these high numbers on your blood test is prescribe some cholesterol lower drugs.
They will tell you to lower your fat intake, tell you fat is bad, lower your salt, drink less water, eat high fiber diet.
The head of the AHA( American Heart Association) the guy that puts out all the studies and tells all the other heart doctors what they should be doing. That guy just died following his own best advice. Hmm Fact is the AHA has been tooting this BS diet for over 20 years and no one has seen a end in sight to heart disease. Which makes you wonder, are these people insane. Since the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result. Well if the shoe fits.
They say that Alzhimers and dementia is from things like Aluminium and other heavy metal. I don't think this is the problem at all.
The culprit SUGAR. High cholestreal is caused by eating sugar. And sugar comes in many forms. There are the obviouse ones but the least obviouse are things like grains and starches. Breads, pasta and all those yummie carbs are killing us.
Fat is your friend. Your brain is composed of a large percentage of fat, and it needs good fat to make it work right.
Fish oil is brain food, and so is coconut oil and butter from grass fed cows.
The doctors are giving all of us bad advice, they are handing out cholesterol medicine like candy. Side effect.... it takes the good fat from your brain as well. And if no good fat is there for your brain then pretty soon you will start to forget things and your brain will start to shrink and eventually you will get dementia or Alzheimer disease.
There is a diet the is gaining poparity because people are loosing weight on it. Its called a ketogenic diet. It was invented for children who have siezers. The high fat no carbs heals the brain. The side effects are weight loose. But people were surprised to find out that it fixes a lot of other health isssues. Heart disease being one, and dementia and alzhiemer, but also diebetes, hormone related problems, skin problesm, and the list keeps getting longer.
So we don't have to worry about getting this awful disease if we stay away from cholestreal lowereing meds and feed our brains and bodies the fat that is needs to thrive on, and ditch the sugar and all those nasty carbs that are makeing you fat an very unhealthy. Fat is your friend sugar is your enemy.

willow2

Liked in: 24 posts

Postby Thinktank » Feb 4th, 2018, 3:03 pm

People are told some real weird nonsense about losing weight. I see people terrified of an ounce of cream
in their coffee, but not scared to eat 9% of their diet - sugar. And they're fatter than ever, like 70 lbs. overweight
and now - an epidemic of dementia and alzheimers disease is sweeping across the nation.

Wow.

We need a wow smiley.

Thinktank
Guru

Postby the truth » Feb 4th, 2018, 3:34 pm

willow2 wrote:It doesn't have to be that way if more people where educated about the facts.
There is a epidemic of heart disease and high cholesterol. First thing a doctor does when he sees these high numbers on your blood test is prescribe some cholesterol lower drugs.
They will tell you to lower your fat intake, tell you fat is bad, lower your salt, drink less water, eat high fiber diet.
The head of the AHA( American Heart Association) the guy that puts out all the studies and tells all the other heart doctors what they should be doing. That guy just died following his own best advice. Hmm Fact is the AHA has been tooting this BS diet for over 20 years and no one has seen a end in sight to heart disease. Which makes you wonder, are these people insane. Since the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result. Well if the shoe fits.
They say that Alzhimers and dementia is from things like Aluminium and other heavy metal. I don't think this is the problem at all.
The culprit SUGAR. High cholestreal is caused by eating sugar. And sugar comes in many forms. There are the obviouse ones but the least obviouse are things like grains and starches. Breads, pasta and all those yummie carbs are killing us.
Fat is your friend. Your brain is composed of a large percentage of fat, and it needs good fat to make it work right.
Fish oil is brain food, and so is coconut oil and butter from grass fed cows.
The doctors are giving all of us bad advice, they are handing out cholesterol medicine like candy. Side effect.... it takes the good fat from your brain as well. And if no good fat is there for your brain then pretty soon you will start to forget things and your brain will start to shrink and eventually you will get dementia or Alzheimer disease.
There is a diet the is gaining poparity because people are loosing weight on it. Its called a ketogenic diet. It was invented for children who have siezers. The high fat no carbs heals the brain. The side effects are weight loose. But people were surprised to find out that it fixes a lot of other health isssues. Heart disease being one, and dementia and alzhiemer, but also diebetes, hormone related problems, skin problesm, and the list keeps getting longer.
So we don't have to worry about getting this awful disease if we stay away from cholestreal lowereing meds and feed our brains and bodies the fat that is needs to thrive on, and ditch the sugar and all those nasty carbs that are makeing you fat an very unhealthy. Fat is your friend sugar is your enemy.

100% correct
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5359 posts

Postby the truth » Feb 4th, 2018, 3:38 pm

Thinktank wrote:People are told some real weird nonsense about losing weight. I see people terrified of an ounce of cream
in their coffee, but not scared to eat 9% of their diet - sugar. And they're fatter than ever, like 70 lbs. overweight
and now - an epidemic of dementia and alzheimers disease is sweeping across the nation.

Wow.

We need a wow smiley.

we need a drop the mic smiley
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5359 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 4th, 2018, 3:46 pm

I don't know of anyone that would put "an ounce of cream" in their coffee, maybe a half ounce of 2% in a grande.

Easy way to diet......eliminate all things white. Sugar, flour, sour cream, milk (and it's by-products), saturated fats, (the kind that turn white at room temperature), salt, what did I forget? OH yeah........ mushrooms......yuck!
Popcorn is okay, but it was brown before it was popped, so that's a no brainer.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2404 posts

Postby seewood » Feb 4th, 2018, 8:51 pm

Confusing disease. I have a friend , mid 70's, has a masters in mechanical engineering then went on to become a MD then specialized in eye surgery. Several patents to his name, keeps fit, careful what he/they eat. had to stop driving a couple of years ago. Alzimers setting in.
Dad, late 80's still drives, boats, rips through crosswords and seduko. kept fit throughout his life and no real medical issues.
What gives with this...I forget things now and I don't take it as a joke any more. Just started collecting CPP.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 896 posts

Postby Fancy » Feb 4th, 2018, 9:03 pm

Thinktank wrote:Remember how they told us that dementia and alzheimers disease and other diseases
are just a normal part of growing old?
No, not discussed like that in my family (we live until our 90's). Why did you post this in social concerns instead of health?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 5849 posts

Postby JayByrd » Feb 4th, 2018, 10:50 pm

There are risk factors that make it more likely a person will develop dementia. They are just that, factors. They don't mean you WILL develop dementia, and not having those risk factors doesn't mean you won't.

The dementia tsunami is already here. Ask anyone who works in the field of elder care. And, people are developing it younger and younger. We're no longer talking about 90 yr olds...now it's 65 yr olds who are strong and mobile. A much different scene for caregivers when those persons become combative, or decide to up and walk out the door.

Our health care system is incredibly under-prepared for how many older persons are going to require care in the coming years.
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
'cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1225 posts

Postby rustled » Feb 5th, 2018, 9:41 am

Silverstarqueen wrote:The rate of several indicators or diseases of Old age, such as dementia, heart disease, cancer,poor circulation, obesity, kidney disease are much higher in those who have had higher than normal blood sugars usually from middle age onward. "That won't be me" is what most people believe. The doctors won't tell you until you have full blown diabetes, that by the way, you are at higher risk for dementia, heart attack, cancer, etc. But the slightly elevated blood sugars are doing their damage long before your doctor gives the official diagnosis. If doctors were screening everyone for even slightly elevated sugars, and then got them on diet and exercise programs (and medication for some) that lowered those, an awful lot of these conditions would not be developing in the first place, or would strike at a much later age. If everyone aimed to keep their blood sugar below 100 (u.s. measures) or 5.5 (canadian measures), even after meals, if their HbA1C was below 5., all of these conditions of old age would be greatly reduced. But who's counting?
Rate of dementia for those with diabetes is double or more then those without.
Future estimate of numbers of people with diabetes: 20% of population, 26% by 2020. The rate is much higher in certain populations. 60% of Canadians are overweight, only a matter of time before many of them are diabetic.

Thanks for this.

Do you know, is there a readily available monitor for blood sugars that doesn't involve needles?
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 5952 posts

Next

Return to Social Concerns