One million Canadians will have dementia in fifteen years

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: One million Canadians will have dementia in fifteen year

Postby Silverstarqueen » Feb 5th, 2018, 3:04 pm

rustled wrote:Thanks for this.

Do you know, is there a readily available monitor for blood sugars that doesn't involve needles?

A glucometer is the simplest, cheapest and most effective, but it does involve a tiny needle. If you aren't actually diabetic, you don't even have to use it for more than about a week. You will quickly find out, if you have a blood sugar problem, simply by testing an hour after a meal. You will find, if your pancreas is in early stages of failure, that your blood sugar goes up when you eat any carbs (faster and higher for sugars, fruit, juices). Then you can eliminate, or seriously cut back carbs, and substitute more protein and fat (the protein is very important). The reason extra protein is important is that your body can convert excess protein to blood glucose when needed, but it won't cause the spike that sugar and carbs do. Hypothetically you could make all the dietary changes without ever doing a blood test, but doing the test, and seeing your blood sugar go up with a simple whole wheat bread sandwich is definitely a motivational tool. Without that feedback, most people will eventually start "cheating" on the diet and reverting to eating breads, cereals, sugars, fruit, and of course blood sugar will not be controlled. Also, if you actually do develop diabetes, without a blood sugar check after meals at least occasionally, you will never realize it until it is too late. There are usually no obvious symptoms until it is advanced.

I think there are monitors now which do not involve a needle, but they are probably rather expensive at this point, and are not as accurate as the finger prick test.

2 people like this post.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 2147 posts

Postby Grandan » Feb 16th, 2019, 8:58 am

I recently discovered Robert Lustig MD an endocrinologist who treated morbidly obese children over decades.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z5C9Yn2iu8
His scientifically researched, peer reviewed studies have concluded that the number one cause of Insulin Resistance is directly attributed to Fructose found in High Fructose Corn Syrup and in table sugar and most fruit. Starches found in foods such as potatoes are not the problem but do contribute to obesity which is related. Insulin resistance leads to type II diabetes and ultimately to type III diabetes which is diabetes of the brain which is what Alzheimer disease is.
By eliminating fructose from the diet, type II diabetes can be reversed unless catastrophic damage has been done to your liver and pancreas.
The second game changer for me was Dr Unwin of Britain.
In a review of patients in his database Dr Unwin discovered that one of his patients had not renewed her prescription for diabetes meds so he called her in to give her a dressing down. When a woman showed up in his office who he did not recognize he tried to kick her out explaining that he was there to see Mrs Jones. I am Mrs Jones! she exclaimed. To find out why he did not recognize her please watch the video because the result of that meeting set off life changing events for his publicly funded
clinic. It meshes perfectly with Lustig's research.
Dr. David Unwin - 'The Glycaemic Index: Helping Patients in Primary care with T2D'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... xbWw5jwzHs
There is more to this story but to me these are two of the leading experts in the subject. They run contrary to popular belief
and medical dogma that has been the foundation of nutritional science for the past 50 years.
Some of the information is technical in nature but please stick with it because the conclusions are solid and supported by
other researchers and scientists wordwide.
I will add in few new links in the coming days.
To me this is the most exciting discovery of my life!
Waste not
Grandan
Übergod

Liked in: 931 posts

Postby Grandan » Feb 16th, 2019, 10:01 am

One of the more fascinating studies is that undertaken by Dr. Jeff Volek - Physical Performance and Ketogenic Diets, Ohio State University from a research study on elite athletes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 9MAsaW64Io

He demonstrated fat burning vs. carb burning athletes and prove the positive benefits of the Ketogenic Diet and the improved performance and recovery times. He demonstrated fat burning of more than 1 gram per minute.
Waste not
Grandan
Übergod

Postby Lady tehMa » Feb 16th, 2019, 10:05 am

Here is an interesting study: https://www.health.com/alzheimers/alzheimers-gum-disease

It suggests a link between gingivitis and Alzheimers.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4115 posts

Postby Grandan » Feb 16th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Lady tehMa wrote:Here is an interesting study: https://www.health.com/alzheimers/alzheimers-gum-disease

It suggests a link between gingivitis and Alzheimers.

It makes sense to link gum disease with with Alzhimer Desease. I am wary when a drug company sponsors the trials though.
You can wipe out gingivitis by using Daikins solution to clean your toothbrush and brush with the bleach solution as well.
Daikins is 24:1 water to bleach. Alzhimer Desease is caused by SUGAR, particularly Fructose, something Dentists have warned us about for decades. The sugar attacks your teeth and your brain. Sugar is a toxin it also causes Diabetes.
Waste not
Grandan
Übergod

Postby Silverstarqueen » Feb 16th, 2019, 5:43 pm

alanjh595 wrote:I don't know of anyone that would put "an ounce of cream" in their coffee, maybe a half ounce of 2% in a grande.

Easy way to diet......eliminate all things white. Sugar, flour, sour cream, milk (and it's by-products), saturated fats, (the kind that turn white at room temperature), salt, what did I forget? OH yeah........ mushrooms......yuck!
Popcorn is okay, but it was brown before it was popped, so that's a no brainer.

Sugar was brown before it was refined.Brown sugar isn't really any better for you than white sugar.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby Grandan » Feb 16th, 2019, 6:39 pm

alanjh595 wrote:I don't know of anyone that would put "an ounce of cream" in their coffee, maybe a half ounce of 2% in a grande.

Easy way to diet......eliminate all things white. Sugar, flour, sour cream, milk (and it's by-products), saturated fats, (the kind that turn white at room temperature), salt, what did I forget? OH yeah........ mushrooms......yuck!

Silverstarqueen wrote:Sugar was brown before it was refined.Brown sugar isn't really any better for you than white sugar.

Depends on your taste :D .
Did you know that when you are a baby your bones are white, you brown with age?
Waste not
Grandan
Übergod

Postby Mordu » Feb 17th, 2019, 5:58 am

These are catching on.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/ca ... -next-year

Opportunity for the Okanagan?

. . . anticipating a reply: some of the staff and customers in Costco and Superstore may have the answer :biggrin:

Or is that too demented . . . ?

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

BTW at 97 my dad passed away purely from Alzheimer disease--he just became frailer and frailer. But we shared a sense of humour about it all along the line, and I wish he'd had a place like this where we could have been together.
Last edited by Mordu on Feb 17th, 2019, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Because_They_Lie likes this post.
Mordu
Board Meister

Liked in: 133 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Feb 17th, 2019, 9:26 am

Grandan wrote:I recently discovered Robert Lustig MD an endocrinologist who treated morbidly obese children over decades.
His scientifically researched, peer reviewed studies have concluded that the number one cause of Insulin Resistance is directly attributed to Fructose found in High Fructose Corn Syrup and in table sugar and most fruit. Starches found in foods such as potatoes are not the problem but do contribute to obesity which is related. Insulin resistance leads to type II diabetes and ultimately to type III diabetes which is diabetes of the brain which is what Alzheimer disease is.
By eliminating fructose from the diet, type II diabetes can be reversed unless catastrophic damage has been done to your liver and pancreas.
In a review of patients in his database Dr Unwin discovered that one of his patients had not renewed her prescription for diabetes meds so he called her in to give her a dressing down. When a woman showed up in his office who he did not recognize he tried to kick her out explaining that he was there to see Mrs Jones. I am Mrs Jones! she exclaimed. To find out why he did not recognize her please watch the video because the result of that meeting set off life changing events for his publicly funded
Dr. David Unwin - 'The Glycaemic Index: Helping Patients in Primary care with T2D'
There is more to this story but to me these are two of the leading experts in the subject. They run contrary to popular belief
and medical dogma that has been the foundation of nutritional science for the past 50 years.
Some of the information is technical in nature but please stick with it because the conclusions are solid and supported by

Unfortunately it's not just fructose that is the problem. Certainly eliminating fructose would be start, but if other carbs are substituted in the same amounts, blood sugars react pretty much the same for that particular person. If they are borderline or prediabetic, they will still be experiencing all the damage from too many carbs without even knowing it. A similar problem with the glycemic index, which seems to indicate that there are "good " carbs and "bad " carbs. But a banana is still a lot of sugar as far as your pancreas is concerned, which if it is young and healthy, who cares? that's what it is there for, to prevent dangerous sugars from getting dumped in your blood stream. But for a lot of people, all carbs are carbs, and if their pancreas is not quite as young as it used to be, the sugars are floating around in your system doing damage until their lazy *ss pancreas finally puts it away into those fat cells.
The only way to tell is test your blood sugar an hour after any carbohydrate snack or meal, and if it's going higher than normal, it's time to trim back on the total amount of carbs or start medication to kick your pancreas in to gear.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby Grandan » Feb 17th, 2019, 5:44 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:
Grandan wrote:I recently discovered Robert Lustig MD an endocrinologist who treated morbidly obese children over decades.

Unfortunately it's not just fructose that is the problem. Certainly eliminating fructose would be start, but if other carbs are substituted in the same amounts, blood sugars react pretty much the same for that particular person. If they are borderline or prediabetic, they will still be experiencing all the damage from too many carbs without even knowing it. A similar problem with the glycemic index, which seems to indicate that there are "good " carbs and "bad " carbs. But a banana is still a lot of sugar as far as your pancreas is concerned, which if it is young and healthy, who cares? that's what it is there for, to prevent dangerous sugars from getting dumped in your blood stream. But for a lot of people, all carbs are carbs, and if their pancreas is not quite as young as it used to be, the sugars are floating around in your system doing damage until their lazy *ss pancreas finally puts it away into those fat cells.
The only way to tell is test your blood sugar an hour after any carbohydrate snack or meal, and if it's going higher than normal, it's time to trim back on the total amount of carbs or start medication to kick your pancreas in to gear.

It is indeed fructose that is the problem. While carbohydrates will make you fat they won't make you sick. Fructose goes straight to your liver, does not raise insulin levels, does not send a satiety signal to the brain. Kids given a Coke before a meal will eat more calories. Fructose makes your liver fat because the liver is the only place that fructose can be processed and it is turned into fatty liver.
A secondary problem is that the so called good fats, the polyunsaturated fats from vegetable oils such as corn oil are manufactured and are not properly processed by your metabolism. We evolved to process saturated fats and they are safe to use
as long as you do not combine them with sugar.
In order to understand the problem you need to listen to an endocrinologist who has studied the problem with teams of researchers. Someone who has tested the hypothesis and has isolated the variables. Watch the Lustig video and then show me where you think he is wrong.
It has been demonstrated scientifically that when fed high carbs that they do not get sick they only get fat. High sugar causes diabetes not starch. Fruit alone with its natural sugar is usually not a problem because of the fibre it contains.
There is an obesity epidemic caused by too much carbs but the elephant in the room is the sugar. Fructose does not trigger insulin, glucose does. Fructose causes the glycocalyx in your blood vessels to shrink and leave you're arterial walls prone to damage that leaves calcium deposits which in turn leads to heart disease.
The following video gives one of the most precise explanations in a short time. It is based on recent research.
Research which directed us to a high carb diet with low fat has lead to an pandemic of obesity. The introduction of the American style industrial diet with Low fat and high sugar to make the food taste any good has lead to an pandemic of diabetes.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DXKJaQeteE0
If it means anything, the cure for diabetes in the 1800's was to adopt a ketogenic diet.
I know it is hard for people to wrap their heads around the concept of a high fat diet being any good for you but research had proven that it is better for your body. Elite athletes on a high fat diet perform better and have better recovery than an equally matched group of carb eaters. The low fat diet was based on faulty data, the researches cooked the books so the data would fit their hypothesis.
Grandan
Übergod

Postby Because_They_Lie » Feb 17th, 2019, 6:45 pm

willow2 wrote:It doesn't have to be that way if more people where educated about the facts.
There is a epidemic of heart disease and high cholesterol. First thing a doctor does when he sees these high numbers on your blood test is prescribe some cholesterol lower drugs.
They will tell you to lower your fat intake, tell you fat is bad, lower your salt, drink less water, eat high fiber diet.
The head of the AHA( American Heart Association) the guy that puts out all the studies and tells all the other heart doctors what they should be doing. That guy just died following his own best advice. Hmm Fact is the AHA has been tooting this BS diet for over 20 years and no one has seen a end in sight to heart disease. Which makes you wonder, are these people insane. Since the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result. Well if the shoe fits.
They say that Alzhimers and dementia is from things like Aluminium and other heavy metal. I don't think this is the problem at all.
The culprit SUGAR. High cholestreal is caused by eating sugar. And sugar comes in many forms. There are the obviouse ones but the least obviouse are things like grains and starches. Breads, pasta and all those yummie carbs are killing us.
Fat is your friend. Your brain is composed of a large percentage of fat, and it needs good fat to make it work right.
Fish oil is brain food, and so is coconut oil and butter from grass fed cows.
The doctors are giving all of us bad advice, they are handing out cholesterol medicine like candy. Side effect.... it takes the good fat from your brain as well. And if no good fat is there for your brain then pretty soon you will start to forget things and your brain will start to shrink and eventually you will get dementia or Alzheimer disease.
There is a diet the is gaining poparity because people are loosing weight on it. Its called a ketogenic diet. It was invented for children who have siezers. The high fat no carbs heals the brain. The side effects are weight loose. But people were surprised to find out that it fixes a lot of other health isssues. Heart disease being one, and dementia and alzhiemer, but also diebetes, hormone related problems, skin problesm, and the list keeps getting longer.
So we don't have to worry about getting this awful disease if we stay away from cholestreal lowereing meds and feed our brains and bodies the fat that is needs to thrive on, and ditch the sugar and all those nasty carbs that are makeing you fat an very unhealthy. Fat is your friend sugar is your enemy.

An industry survives and thrives on profit only, if any disease was "cured" there would be no need for the industry. This is the ONLY reason heart disease, Dementia, cancer have not been cured through the so-called "Medical Industry"

We need to take personal responsibility for our and our families health, by educating ourselves (while we still can) on what our body is and how it functions - to educate ourselves on our environment and the pollution therein - its the least we can do to be accountable for ourselves. refrain from putting our faith and investments into that which has proven to destroy our health collectively.

The INDUSTRY CURING = Death of the Industry.

Heart and stroke foundation, cancer foundation - knocking on our family door since before I was born looking for money for research - runs for the cure since the 90's - keep running for the cure and showing the industry that your investment is in the life of the industry rather than the life of your own body.

Cures are out there, they get repressed - similar to the repression of free energy.

ITS ALL for control - there is NO LOVE in any INDUSTRY.

P.S I would definitely not be negligent by ruling out Aluminum along with the overdose of sugar consumption in our culture.
Because_They_Lie
Übergod

Liked in: 281 posts

Postby Because_They_Lie » Feb 17th, 2019, 6:47 pm

Popcorn that reads: Non GMO - most corn is GMO these days. Check labels.
Because_They_Lie
Übergod

Postby Grandan » Feb 17th, 2019, 7:02 pm

I think this documentary from Australia gives us a really good unvarnished view of the extent of the problem and future costs if we do not collectively change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUIBNKnT1M
Waste not
Grandan
Übergod

Postby Because_They_Lie » Feb 17th, 2019, 7:08 pm

Mordu wrote:These are catching on.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/ca ... -next-year

Opportunity for the Okanagan?

. . . anticipating a reply: some of the staff and customers in Costco and Superstore may have the answer :biggrin:

Or is that too demented . . . ?

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

BTW at 97 my dad passed away purely from Alzheimer disease--he just became frailer and frailer. But we shared a sense of humour about it all along the line, and I wish he'd had a place like this where we could have been together.

Its all so very sad. God Bless all who have and will experience this loss - God Bless you and your dad.

Sadder yet, the world we live in does not need to be like this at all! The goal should be to eradicate the causes of these very sick and twisted illness, all caused by industry - The industrial revolution was the life sentence of living things. Might God Bless the whole world? Tragic.
Because_They_Lie
Übergod

Postby Snman » Feb 17th, 2019, 10:19 pm

My dear old dad died of and with Alzheimer's. He was nothing short of a genius, no lie. My sister and I have always felt that if he'd had some supply of oxygen to his brain he'd have been fine, or better, and in fact would have had the capacity to tell his caregivers about the pain from the kidney infection he was suffering from, and might have lived. One thing is for certain, Alzheimer's is devastating for everyone involved. The last time I saw my dear old dad, he didn't even know who I was. I will never forget that look on his face as he struggled to figure out who I was, which he never did.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates

Because_They_Lie likes this post.
Snman
Übergod

Liked in: 952 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns