Question for women Re: High Heels.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
alanjh595
Banned

Question for women Re: High Heels.

Post by alanjh595 »

This is an honest and sincere question. It is one that I have thought about for many years. I promise I will not make any disparaging remarks about your answers/reasons. I just want to understand a few things about wearing high heels. This is a multifaceted question.

1. Why?
Why do you wear them?
Do they make you feel taller?
Do they accentuate certain posterior muscles?
Are they beneficial to your posture?
Are they more comfortable than flat shoes?
(I am not complaining, I like to see a fine set of heels on a woman).

2. Training.
Does wearing heels take training?
Do they require practice?
Are they hard on your spine?
Do you have to develop ankle muscles to be able to walk properly?

3. Fashion.
Are they worn for the sake of fashion?
Are you aware of how much noise they make when walking on a hard surface?

4. Attraction.
Do you wear them to be more attractive?
Do you wear them to be feel more attractive?
Does the noise that is being made while walking notify others that you are approaching?
And do you know that recognisable noise causes others to look at you and aware that you are there?

5. Sexually definitive.
Do you wear them to define that you are female?
(I know that a man would never wear them).

6. Practicality.
They might look nice, but they are not really practical in all environmental situations.
Does these limitations have any role in your choice of footwear?
For example:
Snow/slush.
Rain/puddles.
Sand/beach.
Playground/turf/dirt.
Sidewalks & streets....pot holes/cracks/storm drains/cobble stones.

7. Limitations.
Do you feel limited by your choice of footwear as to where you can walk and how fast you can travel?
Do you feel more vulnerable when wearing high heels?
Are you an easier target for robbery?
Is your ability to defend yourself diminished by your choice of foot wear?

Please don't get my questions wrong, I do appreciate an attractive pair of heels when they are worn by the right woman. I didn't start to really notice until lately when I started "hearing" the noise of high heels on a hard surface. In my house, it is all socks, all the time, which is easy because I live alone. I have become very aware of sounds that I rarely experience any more.

I probably have way too much time to put this to paper. I am just curious.
Bring back the LIKE button.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Question for women Re: High Heels.

Post by whatwhat »

This is an honest and sincere question. It is one that I have thought about for many years. I promise I will not make any disparaging remarks about your answers/reasons. I just want to understand a few things about wearing high heels. This is a multifaceted question.

1. Why?
Why do you wear them? Because I think they looks nice.
Do they make you feel taller? Well yes. They literally add height. I am already 5'9, so not really needed.
Do they accentuate certain posterior muscles? No?
Are they beneficial to your posture? Not that I have noticed.
Are they more comfortable than flat shoes? Some heels are comfy, come aren't.
(I am not complaining, I like to see a fine set of heels on a woman). Gross.

2. Training.
Does wearing heels take training? Yes, just like running in my new running shoes does.
Do they require practice? Again, yes. I have to train in my new runners as well. Most shoes require "breaking in".
Are they hard on your spine? No. And if shoes do, you need a new pair.
Do you have to develop ankle muscles to be able to walk properly? I never have.

3. Fashion.
Are they worn for the sake of fashion? Yes, but I have also worn flats for fashion.
Are you aware of how much noise they make when walking on a hard surface? Yes. So have my flats, and flip flips etc.

4. Attraction.
Do you wear them to be more attractive? More attractive to myself? Yes.
Do you wear them to be feel more attractive? Yes.
Does the noise that is being made while walking notify others that you are approaching? You'd have to ask "others"
And do you know that recognisable noise causes others to look at you and aware that you are there? Depends on the pair of shoes and flooring.

5. Sexually definitive.
Do you wear them to define that you are female?
(I know that a man would never wear them). No? I define myself as a female no matter my shoe wear. As well, men do wear high heels.

6. Practicality.
They might look nice, but they are not really practical in all environmental situations. Do men wear dress shoes to go hiking in the snow??
Does these limitations have any role in your choice of footwear? The same as men have. I wear trainers to the gym, boots in the snow, and high heels to formal events.
For example:
Snow/slush.
Rain/puddles.
Sand/beach.
Playground/turf/dirt.
Sidewalks & streets....pot holes/cracks/storm drains/cobble stones.

7. Limitations.
Do you feel limited by your choice of footwear as to where you can walk and how fast you can travel? No because other foot wear is also appropriate and fashionable.
Do you feel more vulnerable when wearing high heels? No.
Are you an easier target for robbery? No.
Is your ability to defend yourself diminished by your choice of foot wear? No.

Please don't get my questions wrong, I do appreciate an attractive pair of heels when they are worn by the right woman. I didn't start to really notice until lately when I started "hearing" the noise of high heels on a hard surface. In my house, it is all socks, all the time, which is easy because I live alone. I have become very aware of sounds that I rarely experience any more.

I probably have way too much time to put this to paper. I am just curious.
hail Satan y'all
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I've never figured out why women would torture themselves, wearing what looks like the most uncomfortable thing to be placed on ones foot.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

whatwhat;

There's one of your answers piqued my interest.

You answered that it was 'gross" that a man would like the appearance
of a woman in a nice looking set of heels.

This just your own personal feeling about any man appreciating your shoes ?

What if a man complimented you on your shoes in a respectful manner ?

What if a woman made the same respectful compliment ?

or is it just alanjh595 ? [icon_lol2.gif]
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

GordonH wrote:I've never figured out why women would torture themselves, wearing what looks like the most uncomfortable thing to be placed on ones foot.

They only do it for themselves. *rolls eyes
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

alanjh595 wrote: Please don't get my questions wrong, I do appreciate an attractive pair of heels when they are worn by the right woman.

Curious...
What do you mean by this?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

RustyCrayon wrote:
alanjh595 wrote: Please don't get my questions wrong, I do appreciate an attractive pair of heels when they are worn by the right woman.

Curious...
What do you mean by this?

I know you directed the question to the OP, my take.
no correct way to answer the question as you posed it.
No matter the answer you could construct blow-back.

I trust you know full well exactly what it means,
and every truthful man and truthful woman knows as well.

Telling your Bestie that she looks fantastic in her new shoes may make her feel better,
but it may not be truthful.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

Dude... You really think Men don't wear high heels?

I feel the need to let you know that high heels were originally worn for fashion in the late 1400s -- but initially they were made specifically as footwear for Men only.

It wasn't until the late 1700s that they became more 'mainstream' as a Women's fashion and design trend. :smt045
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

dirtybiker wrote:

I know you directed the question to the OP, my take.
no correct way to answer the question as you posed it.
No matter the answer you could construct blow-back.

I trust you know full well exactly what it means,
and every truthful man and truthful woman knows as well.

Telling your Bestie that she looks fantastic in her new shoes may make her feel better,
but it may not be truthful.

Why must there always be the assumption that Women choose to wear high heels -- or any clothing, for that matter -- specifically to invite objectivication by a 'target audience'.

What if... What if someone just felt "good" in what they chose and it was left at that?
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

YOU CAN’T tell me that a beautiful lady with sexy legs (like the ones my Dr had) wearing clicking heels DOESNT enjoy it when heads turn as she walks down the halls. Talk about wielding your power like a sword!

And if you are not able to handle the power then maybe don’t wield that sword.

W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

exactly Foodsmith...maybe people wear what they wear simply because they like it ?? and so what if someone wears something to please themselves ?? that's usually the reason..
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Generally high heels are a safety hazard and a health risk, terrible for the feet and the back.
The only reasons I might wear them is for fashion, to complete a particular outfit. Or if my partner seemed to appreciate it.
The only other reason to wear heels is when horseriding, because it is dangerous not to wear a heel in the stirrup. Still a pain tho if you have to hike very far on the trail in high heeled boots.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Generally high heels are a safety hazard and a health risk, terrible for the feet and the back.
The only reasons I might wear them is for fashion, to complete a particular outfit. Or if my partner seemed to appreciate it.
The only other reason to wear heels is when horseriding, because it is dangerous not to wear a heel in the stirrup. Still a pain tho if you have to hike very far on the trail in high heeled boots.

Way to go! Finally a women admitting they would wear them for someone other then themselves.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

GordonH wrote:I've never figured out why women would torture themselves, wearing what looks like the most uncomfortable thing to be placed on ones foot.

Keep an eye on this thread, you are about to find out. Or, you could just ask ten different women, and you will get fifteen different answers.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I used to wear high heels (3” or so) quite frequently, but my current workplace is soooooo casual that I feel somewhat out-of-place to rock certain pumps like I used to. For me, it is confidence-boosting to wear one of a selection of boots or shoes that have a 2”-2.5” heel with slacks or my Friday jeans. More often than not in recent years, though, flats are comfortable and quite necessary for my foot, posture, and leg health. Heels alter the shape of the calf and posture, which over time, provides cumulative discomfort and some increase likelihood of injury. Plantar fasciitis is not cool, and heels plus an incorrect running style has kept me off the 3” heels long enough that they friggin hurt to wear if I need to stand longer than 30 minutes (back-up flats in the car).

Power. I felt physically confident in a classic form-fitting navy suit and my 3” Mary Janes. Flats wouldn’t have done it. I know I was looked at; women like getting looked at, so don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Smiles = smiles & everybody wins.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Social Concerns”