Wait time for employer-provided benefits

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Wait time for employer-provided benefits

Post by Always Sunny »

I’m asking for a family member, and Google is proving useless (keeps directing me to EI benefits).

Can anyone tell me if there is an actual “acceptable” range for employer provided benefits to kick in. From my experience it’s always been immediate or three months maximum. My brother interviewed for a job in Ontario and was told benefits wouldn’t kick in for a year, which seemed very long to me.

I can’t seem to find anything, or if there would even be information available. Is it completely at the discretion of the employer?

TIA
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Wait time for employer-provided benefits

Post by kgcayenne »

Benefits are 100% an employer decision as to whether to even offer them.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

kgcayenne wrote:Benefits are 100% an employer decision as to whether to even offer them.

Yeah, I kind of figured. I was hitting a dead end finding anything online about this. I’d only heard of wait times of a couple of months, so a year just struck me as especially long. I absolutely get that it’s their prerogative to even offer. But it doesn’t seem like a big draw for a position when every neon billboard you see on the boulevard looking for new hires splashes “benefits” across them. My brother is newly married and his wife is self employed, so an employer provided benefits package was a huge draw with wanting to start a family.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

There are great answers at http://bfy.tw/GK5p
You and 71 others Like this post
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

LANDM wrote:There are great answers at http://bfy.tw/GK5p

None of those links answer my original question.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Always Sunny wrote:
LANDM wrote:There are great answers at http://bfy.tw/GK5p

None of those links answer my original question.

It varies. We have salaried employees that get benefits immediately. Our hourly employees get some benefits after 30 days and the rest after 3 months. One year does seem long. Usually get benefits after probationary period is complete.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

3 months is the standard I have come across, however adding a common law partner etc is a year wait quite often depending on the circumstance.

This would seen the most likely scenario in this case, however some employers may be different, but I find that a rare timeline for the employee and but not the partner.
Bleach
Fledgling

Post by Bleach »

that is normal for ONT, if you make to the 1 year mark that would be very rare. Most would lay you off before benefits.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

And what part of Ontario are you from?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Social Concerns”