Images in public space

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Images in public space

Postby Bsuds » Jan 31st, 2018, 9:16 am

When we watch TV shows on the PVR (which is always), We can watch a show in 15-20 min!

At least on Netflix a 1 hour show is actually and hour.
How to get rid of your junk during the holidays.
Put it all in Amazon boxes and leave it on your front porch.

2 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11222 posts

Postby Queen K » Jan 31st, 2018, 9:17 am

Yes, Netflix is a god send. So far.

We tried other sites like it, but they had ads. Guess what happened.
Could it be that a whole life can shift the day one starts telling the truth about what makes one happy?

Verum likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 13307 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 31st, 2018, 12:20 pm

Well 'CapitalB' ,You knew that you were going to get beat up over this topic. Seriously...are you really offended by this?
I have noticed that in other posts you are concerned with the "objectification" of the female body and how women don't WANT to be objectified. Totally disagree with you on this. Women line up for the opportunity to be published in magazines like Playboy and Hustler. Women make themselves up and dress to be attractive so they can 'work it'. When was the last time you were in Europe? There are pictures and statues of naked women lots of places. It's not like "be a good little conservative citizen" like it is here in North America.
What the heck is wrong with our thinking? We have no problem letting little Johnny/Suzy watch movies/TV shows that have multiple people getting shot, blown up, tortured, blood and guts, or whatever. Exposing little Johnny/Suzy to complete male /female nudity in movies/TV is considered wrong.
The human animal is what it is. Earth has had creatures that 'objectify' each other in their own way / a sexual way before multicellular life evolved. Like it or not ,that is how life reproduces itself on this planet.Women have been objectified in a sexual way throughout our evolution, and ALWAYS will be.
I guess you are just going to have to deal with it .Don't get mad at me for pointing these facts out -- I didn't invent the system. I strongly recommend that you don't go to a Mexican restaurant that has tacos on the menu as you will not like what you see.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

dirtybiker likes this post.
oldtrucker
Übergod

Liked in: 653 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 31st, 2018, 12:27 pm

Humans are also the only species on this planet that actually wears clothing to cover up their sexuallity, except for those (African/Amazonian) tribes that are still naked today, you don't hear of them complaining about being objectified.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 3594 posts

Postby CapitalB » Jan 31st, 2018, 1:09 pm

oldtrucker wrote:Well 'CapitalB' ,You knew that you were going to get beat up over this topic. Seriously...are you really

If you read my comment you will see that literally all I say is that I wish we could just get rid of all public ads. I didn't write the original letter to the editor, havent seen the image in question and don't really care. Honestly just wanted to talk about public ads in general.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

normaM likes this post.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 552 posts

Postby Dizzy1 » Jan 31st, 2018, 8:59 pm

CapitalB wrote:
If you read my comment you will see that literally all I say is that I wish we could just get rid of all public ads. I didn't write the original letter to the editor, havent seen the image in question and don't really care. Honestly just wanted to talk about public ads in general.

There is nothing wrong with public ads and no reason to get rid of them or change them :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5133 posts

Postby Dizzy1 » Jan 31st, 2018, 9:01 pm

This story from last year still takes the cake ...

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/0 ... -cows.html
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

dirtybiker likes this post.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5133 posts

Postby Catsumi » Jan 31st, 2018, 9:06 pm

The News Hour is actually 15 minutes long, thanks to endless ads. A plague of ads!

Repetitive, assinine, loud, irritating, infuriating, childish ads. All that increase the product's cost.

Do we need 500 different shampoos?

Bah!
There is nothing government can give you that it hasn't taken from you in the first place.
Winston Churchill
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2666 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 31st, 2018, 9:20 pm

TV channels get revenue from companies that buy commercial time, without it they would need to do same thing the Knowledge network does. Which is to have on air donation drives.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7643 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 31st, 2018, 10:35 pm

CapitalB wrote:
oldtrucker wrote:Well 'CapitalB' ,You knew that you were going to get beat up over this topic. Seriously...are you really

Ya you are right, you didn't write the article. I just remember where you stand on the content of it from other threads/topics.
Just think...without advertising, you wouldn't know where to get a computer or a smart phone to post stuff on castanet forums. :biggrin:
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
oldtrucker
Übergod

Liked in: 653 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 31st, 2018, 10:43 pm

oldtrucker wrote:Just think...without advertising, you wouldn't know where

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 2985 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jan 31st, 2018, 11:44 pm

Queen K wrote: The same with movies.

Can't watch a vid anymore without the ads.

Sure you can. It's called NETFLIX.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Bsuds likes this post.
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5876 posts

Postby normaM » Feb 1st, 2018, 6:07 am

Don't need advertising to know where to buy a computer. And I'm certain people know about toilet paper and tampons.. so who are the ads geared towards.
All ads could be run and an Ad channel - like home shopping channel.
Altho I do love a great ad :) Last Vogue I bought was thick enough to kill a bird with - ad after ad after ad.
So much info being tossed at us we probably don't pay it much mind anymore.
Don't think yourself as an ugly person... Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3403 posts

Postby Bsuds » Feb 1st, 2018, 7:17 am

I remember looking at a Magazine and flipping 32 pages before the first article.

The Magazines should be free as they are paid for by the Advertisers.
How to get rid of your junk during the holidays.
Put it all in Amazon boxes and leave it on your front porch.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11222 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Feb 1st, 2018, 9:40 am

Bsuds wrote:I remember looking at a Magazine and flipping 32 pages before the first article.

The Magazines should be free as they are paid for by the Advertisers.

hahaha, Thick as a Bible, 5 pages of content.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Bsuds likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 2985 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns