Support Animals? Going too far?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Support Animals? Going too far?

Postby Bsuds » Feb 1st, 2018, 2:10 pm

So in the News the last couple of days is a story of an Airline (Delta I think) refusing to let a support animal board the aircraft.
The animal in question was a Peacock. A rather large Peacock.

So my question for you is do you think these people are trying to take this too far?

Apparently some fliers have taken such animals like Spiders, Turtles, and other exotic animals.

I think if you can get emotional support from a Turtle or a Spider you can get the same from a stuffed Bear or any other stuffie.

Grow up people and deal with it!

I do realize there are some people who this helps but I find it hard to believe a Spider can help you fly in a plane and don't blame an Airline for saying enough is enough!
Common sense is like deodorant, the people who need it most never use it.

2 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 10708 posts

Re: Support Animals? Going too far?

Postby oneh2obabe » Feb 1st, 2018, 2:17 pm

Delta Airlines is cracking down on service animals as well as emotional support animals. Other airlines said they are looking at doing the same.

Different airlines have different rules about in what situations you can take animals on the flight. Typically, Delta allows cats, dogs and birds on flights if they’re contained in a carrier that fits under the seat and you pay an extra fee. They also allow service animals, like seeing eye dogs, to aid the disabled.

But with an increasing number of people claiming that they need their pets on board with them, Delta has updated their rules. The airline now says if your pet is going to fly in the cabin as a trained service animal, then you have to submit vet health forms and/or immunization records and a doctor’s note confirming you need the service animal 48 hours before your plane takes off.

http://www.newsweek.com/delta-airlines- ... als-785819
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

2 people like this post.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 5768 posts

Postby CapitalB » Feb 1st, 2018, 2:18 pm

The 'emotional support' animals thing is just largely a lot of people taking advantage of something that can let them more easily take their pets places. They've basically just found a way to legalize/normalize their selfish anti social behaviour.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

TreeGuy likes this post.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 505 posts

Postby normaM » Feb 1st, 2018, 2:21 pm

Hey now. I'd be lost without my support unicorn.
Most animals I support being allowed as service/support creatures, but a peacock? They are mean
Don't think yourself as an ugly person... Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey

TreeGuy likes this post.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2531 posts

Postby Fancy » Feb 1st, 2018, 2:24 pm

Absolutely going too far. I'll bet that bird wasn't given anything to calm it down and they make a racket that would burst your eardrums on a plane.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018 ... nimal.html

http://nationalpost.com/news/world/unit ... ark-flight
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 5969 posts

Postby whatwhat » Feb 1st, 2018, 2:24 pm

Yah, this whole "emotional support" animal thing is starting to go to the extremes. And is starting to cause issues for people who actually need the aid of certified, and trained support dogs.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/justice/human-rights/guide-and-service-dog
hail Satan y'all

3 people like this post.
whatwhat
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2015 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Feb 1st, 2018, 2:26 pm

I sneak my support animals on.
I don't know what I would do without my lice and my tapeworm !

Everyone else's just seem to be a crutch, good for the airlines pinning them
out, enough is enough, it's already been taken too far.

Just like this post !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

3 people like this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 2791 posts

Postby Queen K » Feb 1st, 2018, 2:28 pm

I'm canceling my air travel if I can't bring my baboon.

But seriously, the need for a peacock over and above the health and safety of other passangers? Selfish and stupid behavior always destroys the good will of the company providing an accomodation. Such as Whatwhat has linked in the above.
It must be nice to live in an Ivory Tower, where everyone else makes mistakes. I have no idea what an ivory tower looks like.

2 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 12643 posts

Postby slootman » Feb 1st, 2018, 2:44 pm

If people can't get on a plane without a hug from their emotional support baboon/peacock/raccoon maybe they should just not fly. Its silly to expect 200 people to deal with a peacock just for one person. Seems more logical for the nervous nellie to accommodate the other 200 people by traveling by car. But maybe that's too insensitive...

Btw, I get nervous unless I have a lie-flat seat in business class and champagne before take-off. Also the whole row to myself. The airline really should accommodate my emotional needs just like those with support animals. I'll also need 2 extra blankets, 3 pillows and a foot massage. And another champagne, please.

Queen K likes this post.
slootman
Übergod

Liked in: 1424 posts

Postby Queen K » Feb 1st, 2018, 2:58 pm

slootman wrote:If people can't get on a plane without a hug from their emotional support baboon/peacock/raccoon maybe they should just not fly. Its silly to expect 200 people to deal with a peacock just for one person. Seems more logical for the nervous nellie to accommodate the other 200 people by traveling by car. But maybe that's too insensitive...

Btw, I get nervous unless I have a lie-flat seat in business class and champagne before take-off. Also the whole row to myself. The airline really should accommodate my emotional needs just like those with support animals. I'll also need 2 extra blankets, 3 pillows and a foot massage. And another champagne, please.

You forgot nicer headphones, a direct line to the pilot and your choice of movies, pre-ordered pre-flight. Are you getting more accomodating to them?

By car? Ever try to make it to Hawaii by car? The sandwiches get soggy.

And it was a choice between my service baboon or my service tiger. I had to narrow it down.
It must be nice to live in an Ivory Tower, where everyone else makes mistakes. I have no idea what an ivory tower looks like.

3 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 12643 posts

Postby Catsumi » Feb 1st, 2018, 3:11 pm

When I fly I always have my gorgeous skunk along. :biggrin:
There is nothing government can give you that it hasn't taken from you in the first place.
Winston Churchill

2 people like this post.
Catsumi
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1969 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Feb 1st, 2018, 3:24 pm

Bsuds wrote:So in the News the last couple of days is a story of an Airline (Delta I think) refusing to let a support animal board the aircraft.
The animal in question was a Peacock. A rather large Peacock.

So my question for you is do you think these people are trying to take this too far?

Apparently some fliers have taken such animals like Spiders, Turtles, and other exotic animals.

I think if you can get emotional support from a Turtle or a Spider you can get the same from a stuffed Bear or any other stuffie.

Grow up people and deal with it!

I do realize there are some people who this helps but I find it hard to believe a Spider can help you fly in a plane and don't blame an Airline for saying enough is enough!

None of the animals that you have listed above have NO ABILITY to show any type of compassion, unlike a dog or cat. AND, I have my doubts about cats. (They just hang around for the free food and the benefits of being associated with humans.
I would highly object to a cat on an airplane, since I am so allergic to them.
Hey, if you can't have peanuts on an airplane, I don't think that anyone else should have a cat.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 3009 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Feb 1st, 2018, 4:20 pm

That's it! Next time I go to Europe, maybe my girlfriend can come for free as I can claim her to be my support animal cuz I get nervous if I am not the one in the cockpit. I hope she doesn't read this.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

dirtybiker likes this post.
oldtrucker
Übergod

Liked in: 526 posts

Postby Bsuds » Feb 1st, 2018, 4:44 pm

normaM wrote:Hey now. I'd be lost without my support unicorn.

I would have bet yours was a "My little pony". :D
Common sense is like deodorant, the people who need it most never use it.

normaM likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 10708 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Feb 1st, 2018, 4:59 pm

I have always told myself that 'I am not qualified to be the judge of another man as I have not experienced their pain' up until about now. A support peacock? A person has to be a total 9.9/10 wacko to have a support peacock. I've always used my thumb and index finger with a happy face painted on it.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

TreeGuy likes this post.
oldtrucker
Übergod

Liked in: 526 posts

Next

Return to Social Concerns