Do you believe fake news?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Do you believe fake news?

Postby CapitalB » Feb 7th, 2018, 4:40 pm

But you can protect yourself from the fake news;

A recommendation that follows from research on the illusion of truth effect is to serve as your own fact checker. If you are convinced that some claim is true, ask yourself why. Is it because you have credible evidence that the claim is true, or is it just because you’ve encountered the claim over and over? Also ask yourself if you know of any evidence that refutes the claim. (You just might be surprised to find that you do.)

Just thought some people on this forum needed some encouragement to fact check.
We are all capable of believing things which we know to be untrue, and then, when we are finally proved wrong, impudently twisting the facts so as to show that we were right. - George Orwell

Children call people names.

2 people like this post.
CapitalB
Board Meister

Liked in: 330 posts

Re: Do you believe fake news?

Postby Verum » Feb 7th, 2018, 4:47 pm

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply

2 people like this post.
Verum
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 738 posts

Postby GordonH » Feb 7th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Here's an idea, read an article on the same subject from both left & right news source. Truth is most likely somewhere in the middle of them both.

Bsuds likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6409 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby CapitalB » Feb 7th, 2018, 5:33 pm

GordonH wrote:Here's an idea, read an article on the same subject from both left & right news source. Truth is most likely somewhere in the middle of them both.

Some people are pretty happy accepting any source that agrees with their existing point of view though. Personally if I'm really engaged by a subject I like to spend a bit of time researching it and finding the facts. Thats me though, I love facts, some people though are more comfortable with anecdotes and minority positions though everyone thinks they're in the majority so thats a tricky point.
We are all capable of believing things which we know to be untrue, and then, when we are finally proved wrong, impudently twisting the facts so as to show that we were right. - George Orwell

Children call people names.

Omnitheo likes this post.
CapitalB
Board Meister

Liked in: 330 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Feb 7th, 2018, 6:27 pm

Nearly half of Americans believe in aliens.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ne ... 0624b0abe4

For me, it depends who says it's fake news. If it's anyone related to the Trump campaign or Trump administration, I would have to do a lot of checking before I believed it. In other words, any trust however temporary it might be held is gone.
From other sources, I still often check around to see what other sources say, but I am more likely to at least consider it might be true.
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Feb 7th, 2018, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 1835 posts

Postby Bsuds » Feb 7th, 2018, 6:32 pm

And the other half are Aliens, but don't worry cause Trump is going to deport them.
Nowadays it's almost rude to ask a question without Googling it first!

Silverstarqueen likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 9816 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Feb 7th, 2018, 6:34 pm

As soon as that wall goes up, both types of aliens will immediately be stopped. Price of sea going boats and small planes is going up.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 1835 posts

Return to Social Concerns