Privacy, or rather, the lack thereof

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Privacy, or rather, the lack thereof

Postby Queen K » Feb 7th, 2018, 9:30 pm

By now we don't really expect "privacy" right? We're data collected all the time, everywhere.

But this caught my eye, "Surveillance Capitalism."

Google is frightening in what they can collect on you from phones which aren't even connected to anything.

Watch and learn:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/02/07/g ... capitalism
Could it be that a whole life can shift the day one starts telling the truth about what makes one happy?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 13289 posts

Re: Privacy, or rather, the lack thereof

Postby GordonH » Feb 7th, 2018, 9:38 pm

Well, just another good reason to have my dumb-phone (flip phone). Oh darn my search engine on both my laptop & desktop is duckduckgo not Google
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

Bsuds likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7641 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby youjustcomplain » Feb 8th, 2018, 7:59 am

I feel really apathetic to the whole concept. I refuse to be afraid of what others might learn about me in the age of the internet.

I realize Google tracks my searches. I'm sure it compiles the information to tailor adds and other search stuff. Why should I care? It's generally an attempt to display products and encourage me to buy buy buy. I have the choice to buy or not. That is still on me.

I download lots of torrents. I install software off third party sites that I didn't buy. I have been known to view websites that display content I wouldn't want my kids to see. I buy products online, which includes providing my credit card numbers. I, too, get the odd phishing email of which I've never fallen victim. My point is not that I'm smarter than anyone else.. I suspect I'm actually a bit dumber. But people just need to use their good judgement and common sense online. We don't need to be afraid of data collection.

oneh2obabe likes this post.
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 474 posts

Postby Catsumi » Feb 8th, 2018, 8:53 pm

^^^^ have you watched the film "Snowden"? It might make you rethink about being tracked, watched and monitored, and what can happen with data collection when used against you. Nightmarish stuff.
There is nothing government can give you that it hasn't taken from you in the first place.
Winston Churchill
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2664 posts

Return to Social Concerns