Privacy, or rather, the lack thereof

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Privacy, or rather, the lack thereof

Post by Queen K »

By now we don't really expect "privacy" right? We're data collected all the time, everywhere.

But this caught my eye, "Surveillance Capitalism."

Google is frightening in what they can collect on you from phones which aren't even connected to anything.

Watch and learn:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/02/07/g ... capitalism
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Privacy, or rather, the lack thereof

Post by GordonH »

Well, just another good reason to have my dumb-phone (flip phone). Oh darn my search engine on both my laptop & desktop is duckduckgo not Google
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

I feel really apathetic to the whole concept. I refuse to be afraid of what others might learn about me in the age of the internet.

I realize Google tracks my searches. I'm sure it compiles the information to tailor adds and other search stuff. Why should I care? It's generally an attempt to display products and encourage me to buy buy buy. I have the choice to buy or not. That is still on me.

I download lots of torrents. I install software off third party sites that I didn't buy. I have been known to view websites that display content I wouldn't want my kids to see. I buy products online, which includes providing my credit card numbers. I, too, get the odd phishing email of which I've never fallen victim. My point is not that I'm smarter than anyone else.. I suspect I'm actually a bit dumber. But people just need to use their good judgement and common sense online. We don't need to be afraid of data collection.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

^^^^ have you watched the film "Snowden"? It might make you rethink about being tracked, watched and monitored, and what can happen with data collection when used against you. Nightmarish stuff.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49715478

An unsecured cloud account helped those who want to know what is going in Ecuadorian government levels find out.

Data on almost every citizen in the country? To assist in "target marketing"? So sick of this and I know it's only going to get worse.

China has amped up 1984 like no other country and so will we eventually and be told, "it's for security."
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Social Concerns”