51807
52224

What Snow Pack?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

What Snow Pack?

Postby uniped27 » Feb 8th, 2018, 8:05 am

It seems our snowpack is twice the level it was last year. Last year they didn't open the gates in Penticton soon enough to allow the water table to be lowered.They made a mistake last year that cost a lot of beachfront owners a lot of money. Let's hope they have the sense to start lowering the lake NOW instead of a wait and see if we are too late again to address this problem. I hope they learned their lesson last year!!!!

LTD likes this post.
uniped27
 
Posts: 5
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 4 posts
Joined: Oct 12th, 2017, 8:40 am

Re: What Snow Pack?

Postby Queen K » Feb 10th, 2018, 8:57 pm

Umm, I find your thread title misleading.

You seem to indicate in the title that it is low.

But in your post you're saying it's extraordinarily high. Above normal. Your title may be confusing to people who know it's high that's why you're not getting the traffic here you would expect.

And yes, we are freaking in for more flooding if something isn't acted upon and soon.
Terror Twins Inc. Catsumi and QK, at your disposal. We take Bitcoin. Applications to be our accountant and lawyer presently accepted.

On-line Gossip: Unless you have proof, all you have is slander and libel.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 50777
Likes: 10674 posts
Liked in: 11271 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: What Snow Pack?

Postby seewood » Feb 11th, 2018, 6:16 am

The snow pack is a concern for those that monitor it. For the most part snowpack is around 135 % for this time of year.
Last year the issue was we were at 100% or there-abouts at this time but we had a lot of snow near the end of March and into April bringing the snowpack to above normal for that time of year. The huge rain and warm weather event melted that snow at a rapid rate faster than the outflow at the dam.
I have noticed the lake level VERY low at the moment and water is still flowing down the channel.
In my opinion, I don't think we are in for a repeat.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Board Meister
 
Posts: 593
Likes: 707 posts
Liked in: 560 posts
Joined: May 29th, 2013, 1:08 pm

Re: What Snow Pack?

Postby Old Techie » Feb 11th, 2018, 8:27 am

seewood wrote:The snow pack is a concern for those that monitor it. For the most part snowpack is around 135 % for this time of year.
Last year the issue was we were at 100% or there-abouts at this time but we had a lot of snow near the end of March and into April bringing the snowpack to above normal for that time of year. The huge rain and warm weather event melted that snow at a rapid rate faster than the outflow at the dam.
I have noticed the lake level VERY low at the moment and water is still flowing down the channel.
In my opinion, I don't think we are in for a repeat.


I don't have the exact figure right now, however in the flood review thread, I'm fairly certain it was actually pointed out, that last year at this time, we were well below 100% snow pack, and that it looked like drought was looming, but in April and May things went nuts, first with upper level snow accumulation, then with warm weather and endless rain.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein

vegas1500 likes this post.
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2961
Likes: 2487 posts
Liked in: 4143 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: What Snow Pack?

Postby MAPearce » Feb 11th, 2018, 8:41 am

I think we'll be fine UNLESS winter goes straight to summer and there is a rapid melt of said snow pack.
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

2 people like this post.
User avatar
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10402
Likes: 1305 posts
Liked in: 3483 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: What Snow Pack?

Postby BoB76 » Feb 18th, 2018, 2:54 pm

I hope it floods the majors office and creates some revenue for a restoration company.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
User avatar
BoB76
Guru
 
Posts: 7065
Likes: 60 posts
Liked in: 114 posts
Joined: Nov 26th, 2007, 6:01 pm

Re: What Snow Pack?

Postby Bsuds » Feb 18th, 2018, 3:59 pm

BoB76 wrote:I hope it floods the majors office and creates some revenue for a restoration company.


We have a Major? Kool.
Nowadays it's almost rude to ask a question without Googling it first!

vegas1500 likes this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 41648
Likes: 7744 posts
Liked in: 9807 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: What Snow Pack?

Postby Merry » Feb 19th, 2018, 9:38 am

I thought that last year all the heavy spring rain was a contributor to the flooding, as well as the large snow pack? If so, provided we don't get a repeat of all that heavy rain we should be just fine.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
User avatar
Merry
Guru
 
Posts: 6964
Likes: 4099 posts
Liked in: 3903 posts
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:41 am

Re: What Snow Pack?

Postby Glacier » Feb 19th, 2018, 10:22 am

Merry wrote:I thought that last year all the heavy spring rain was a contributor to the flooding, as well as the large snow pack? If so, provided we don't get a repeat of all that heavy rain we should be just fine.

The snowpack was WAY below normal at this time last year...

snowpackbrenda.png
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 26195
Likes: 2576 posts
Liked in: 8388 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 9:41 pm


Return to Social Concerns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MAPearce and 4 guests