What Snow Pack?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
uniped27

What Snow Pack?

Post by uniped27 »

It seems our snowpack is twice the level it was last year. Last year they didn't open the gates in Penticton soon enough to allow the water table to be lowered.They made a mistake last year that cost a lot of beachfront owners a lot of money. Let's hope they have the sense to start lowering the lake NOW instead of a wait and see if we are too late again to address this problem. I hope they learned their lesson last year!!!!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: What Snow Pack?

Post by Queen K »

Umm, I find your thread title misleading.

You seem to indicate in the title that it is low.

But in your post you're saying it's extraordinarily high. Above normal. Your title may be confusing to people who know it's high that's why you're not getting the traffic here you would expect.

And yes, we are freaking in for more flooding if something isn't acted upon and soon.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

The snow pack is a concern for those that monitor it. For the most part snowpack is around 135 % for this time of year.
Last year the issue was we were at 100% or there-abouts at this time but we had a lot of snow near the end of March and into April bringing the snowpack to above normal for that time of year. The huge rain and warm weather event melted that snow at a rapid rate faster than the outflow at the dam.
I have noticed the lake level VERY low at the moment and water is still flowing down the channel.
In my opinion, I don't think we are in for a repeat.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

seewood wrote:The snow pack is a concern for those that monitor it. For the most part snowpack is around 135 % for this time of year.
Last year the issue was we were at 100% or there-abouts at this time but we had a lot of snow near the end of March and into April bringing the snowpack to above normal for that time of year. The huge rain and warm weather event melted that snow at a rapid rate faster than the outflow at the dam.
I have noticed the lake level VERY low at the moment and water is still flowing down the channel.
In my opinion, I don't think we are in for a repeat.

I don't have the exact figure right now, however in the flood review thread, I'm fairly certain it was actually pointed out, that last year at this time, we were well below 100% snow pack, and that it looked like drought was looming, but in April and May things went nuts, first with upper level snow accumulation, then with warm weather and endless rain.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I think we'll be fine UNLESS winter goes straight to summer and there is a rapid melt of said snow pack.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

I hope it floods the majors office and creates some revenue for a restoration company.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

BoB76 wrote:I hope it floods the majors office and creates some revenue for a restoration company.

We have a Major? Kool.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I thought that last year all the heavy spring rain was a contributor to the flooding, as well as the large snow pack? If so, provided we don't get a repeat of all that heavy rain we should be just fine.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Merry wrote:I thought that last year all the heavy spring rain was a contributor to the flooding, as well as the large snow pack? If so, provided we don't get a repeat of all that heavy rain we should be just fine.

The snowpack was WAY below normal at this time last year...

snowpackbrenda.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Social Concerns”