You Can Now Choose Your Own Race

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Re: You Can Now Choose Your Own Race

Post by liisgo »

bingo, let me get this straight.
so based on the fact that in our free world countries each individual is responsible for your own choices, outcomes, destiny, success, etc, now we can choose which race and sex would be most beneficial for achieving this? sweet.
Awesome, Here's my choice, access to the most government funding, most programs, most social programs, best opportunity for education, special privilege. Be in the selection that gets the most attention and is heard the most in our societies. Have the most power to control our societies and its offerings. Not have to sign my life away to a "draft". Pay the least amount of taxes on my money earned. Jobs and opportunities based on quotas and fairness.
My choice is a, ____________ _______.

Maybe its time to just treat everyone equal and the same.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Rider59 wrote:As far as classification of human beings is concerned, race refers to such classification based upon various parameters such as genetic and biological traits, language, culture, traditions, and social practices. The basic parameter for racial classification, however, remains genetic composition which manifests externally as one's anatomical appearance.

The Basic Races of Humanity
~ Caucasoid
~ Mongoloid
~ Negroid
~ Australoid

https://biologywise.com/list-of-human-races

So what "race" are North american Aboriginals?

And, you have no doubt heard recently that a 10,000 year old man was found in U.K., they have figured out he was of dark skin with blue eyes. There are native africans with blue eyes or blond hair. What race shall we call them?
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Feb 16th, 2018, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Silverstarqueen wrote:So what "race" are North american Aboriginals?

found this

There are now five categories for data on race:
1) American Indian or Alaska Native.
2) Asian.
3) Black or African American.
4) Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander.
5) White.

I would argue that 1 and 2 have a great amount of similarities however, but as some of the DNA analysis companies have shown there are for more cross mixes of the races than most people really comprehend.

However with just a simple test you can get a claim to likely 80% of the above categories, and therefore like gender has become fluid, why not race........heck, even though it sounds stupid to myself and I think people should like themselves for themselves if everyone can be every race maybe more will stop giving such a crap about it.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Obviously there's one race, the human race. Just as all dogs are dogs, but look how different they all look. Same for people, everyone is pretty mixed up by now, modern human "families" are just variations on the original several thousand that evolved into us.Humans migrated thousands of miles over tens of thousands of years. But we all came from the same roots, somewhere out of Africa. People just insist on calling cultural groups with a few minor genetic quirks (like black skin, or kinky hair) as if these are signs of a whole different race.

Incidentally, I don't think North american Natives and the Inuit are related. So I don't think you can conclude they are of the same "race" (unless you mean the human race).
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling

Post by Ptolemy Soter »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Obviously there's one race, the human race. Just as all dogs are dogs, but look how different they all look. Same for people, everyone is pretty mixed up by now, modern human "families" are just variations on the original several thousand that evolved into us.Humans migrated thousands of miles over tens of thousands of years. But we all came from the same roots, somewhere out of Africa. People just insist on calling cultural groups with a few minor genetic quirks (like black skin, or kinky hair) as if these are signs of a whole different race.

Incidentally, I don't think North american Natives and the Inuit are related. So I don't think you can conclude they are of the same "race" (unless you mean the human race).

Unless I’m mistaken, the races are the relatively minor genetic differences between “continental” groups.

“the human species” is more accurate, apparently.
I am... the law!
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

I think it's important to draw a difference between the real genetic differences between people from different parts of the world and the completely arbitrary races we have created over time. Mixing those is when you start to generalise and it's a slippery slope in a world that is extremely diverse compared to when these races came to be.

In this sense, it is true that race is not something that should be considered when identifying someone, so changing what race you identify as should hold no bearing on anything. We should look at other humans as just that. That doesn't mean we have to stick our nose up at our differences, we can embrace and celebrate those.

Unfortunately, I don't believe western civilisation thinks this way.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

All human "groups" came out of africa and spread across different continents. North American indigenous, came out of siberia (not all at the same time), north americans went back to siberia, some stayed in NA.Europeans also migrated back to Africa. Most Everyone came out of East Africa originally. We are all of Adam and Eve, and they were African.

https://natgeoeducationblog.files.wordp ... n-2008.jpg
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

youjustcomplain wrote:So, a concept created and perpetuated by us, used to describe us is going to be allowed to be modified by us? crazy idea.

Why don't we just abandon the whole idiotic concept of "race".

Rider59 wrote:Uhmm, Race is not a 'concept '. it's scientific a fact much like 'species' and sex (i.e. gender). Rational and intelligent people don't ignore scientific facts because it makes them uncomfortable.

Should we get rid of the concept of species to? How about we all just identify as life forms? Where does it end?

https://www.livescience.com/47627-race- ... ncept.html
As a molecular biologist, this last one is indeed the most important to me — data show that the DNA of any two human beings is 99.9 percent identical, and we all share the same set of genes, scientifically validating the existence of a single biological human race and one origin for all human beings. In short, we are all brothers and sisters
Waste not
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

9000 year old remains, found in Washington, was at first thought to be Caucasian because of physical features. 9000 years old, constitutes "Native" american regardless of features. Tests showed genetic similarities to central and southern native americans, and Polynesians, somewhat distinct from most other North American indigenous. Kennewick man was eventually returned to related modern Native american indigenous tribes.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature14625/figures/1

https://blog.education.nationalgeograph ... an-burial/
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Grandan wrote:
youjustcomplain wrote:So, a concept created and perpetuated by us, used to describe us is going to be allowed to be modified by us? crazy idea.

Why don't we just abandon the whole idiotic concept of "race".

Rider59 wrote:Uhmm, Race is not a 'concept '. it's scientific a fact much like 'species' and sex (i.e. gender). Rational and intelligent people don't ignore scientific facts because it makes them uncomfortable.

Should we get rid of the concept of species to? How about we all just identify as life forms? Where does it end?

https://www.livescience.com/47627-race- ... ncept.html
As a molecular biologist, this last one is indeed the most important to me — data show that the DNA of any two human beings is 99.9 percent identical, and we all share the same set of genes, scientifically validating the existence of a single biological human race and one origin for all human beings. In short, we are all brothers and sisters

Why stop there?

We've created a list to show you exactly which animals are more like brothers, and which are only cousins on the evolutionary family tree.

https://www.thedodo.com/animals-you-had ... 46617.html
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two

Return to “Social Concerns”