Unsettling lack of Transparency from RCMP and media

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Re: Unsettling lack of Transparency from RCMP and media

Post by Because_They_Lie »

Bsuds wrote:So the OP is totally against cameras in public areas but insists on knowing "immediately" what the RCMP are doing in a given situation! (Walks away shaking head)

You can't have it both ways.

What's the need for public cameras? To catch the thief breaking into your vehicle - don't leave anything valuable in your vehicle, take some responsibility and stop seducing thieves with your expensive *bleep* you like to show off.

What's the need for public cameras when the recent supposed criminals in the north end were taken out of their own home?

If the RCMP cannot put their members in the areas where most public crime occurs we must give up our privacy and sovereignty for what they get paid to provide?

So illogical.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Does the Op attend the city council meeting where the Superintendent provided an 18 page report on the activities of the RCMP, I doubt it, the information is there if you want to make the effort to get it.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Bsuds wrote:So the OP is totally against cameras in public areas but insists on knowing "immediately" what the RCMP are doing in a given situation! (Walks away shaking head)

You can't have it both ways.

Yes, information pertaining to the subject is important to reveal, they can keep their details to themselves until they are ready to inform, but as for the nature of the issue - they can inform the public straight away. I would have liked to know immediately why I was not allowed to enter Polson Park the other morning, I am simply told not to go to Polson Park. They could have EASILY informed the public that they have found a man stabbed. but no..... not until after everyone speculates and a jabbers amongst themselves and obeys the rules. its just BS. nothing would be compromised revealing a stabbing had occurred. Just as no compromise would have occurred if the public was informed why they could not leaves their homes or return to their homes in the last 2 north Okanagan occurrences.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

gman313 wrote:
Because_They_Lie wrote:I know what feedback I will get from posting these thoughts, however I feel that I have a valid concern.

My concern is the growing situations in which the North Okanagan RCMP are involved in, in the public domain, with guns drawn and citizens being requested (told) to not attend a certain public location or to remain inside their homes or out of their neighborhoods.

We had the Coldstream incident a couple of weeks ago where people were not allowed back into the neighborhood and others not allowed out of their homes. Last night there was more police presence in Vernon with guns drawn yet still no information forth coming. Today we are being asked to not attend Polson Park, again with zero information.

This is not right, yes the RCMP have a job to do, but they must keep tax payers and those who dwell properly abreast of their activities and the why's of their activities - to be held accountable.

I realize most will side with the RCMP, claiming if the RCMP provide information to the public that it could jeopardize their efforts.

Well, that's good not enough anymore.

I call for transparency of RCMP's activities.

give your head a shake. The story always comes out once the risk is over. man some people are beyond dumb!

Shaken, just for you.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

my5cents wrote:I agree to some degree with the original post. It was, however unclear from the post, what time frame the poster thought information about an investigation should be released to the public.

Another problem, and a severe one, is that fact that the police tell the media and the media decide what to tell the public.

I probably wouldn't have had such an opinion on this if an incident hadn't just occurred to a friend of a family member.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4458011

In this case two men are dead, in Needles BC. One an 83 year old another a 58 year old. At the time of the event and for the following MONTH ! the media reported just that,,, the two were dead. Obviously one killed the other, but who did what ?

Having inside knowledge, I know what happened. The 83 year old was minding his own business inside his home in the evening, with his elderly wife. A shot was heard and instead of diving for the floor and turning off lights, the old man went to call the police, with (I surmise) the lights on and the blinds open, as he returned with the phone, he was shot a second time and killed.

Later the police attended and found the neighbor, dead from a self inflicted gun shot wound.

It took over A MONTH for the police to advise the public that the 83 year old was a murder victim and the 58 year old had died at his own hand.

You can imagine the anxiety this caused the elderly wife, especially in such a small community.

This wasn't a complicated investigation. There was only one gun involved. It doesn't take a crime scene investigative genius to tell which way the bullets travelled that hit the 83 year old. It doesn't take a genius to tell the 58 year old shot himself.

Another ironic element of police investigations. Major traffic accidents where the police shut down major roadways for DAYS.

This is especially ironic when the accident involves only one vehicle and one occupant.

Photo's, mark the position of vehicles, mark and measure evidence that may deteriorate, such as yaw marks.

Come back on a Sunday afternoon and fly your drones, and play with all your toys.

Oh, all these "high trained" traffic analysts ? If its important, the measurements and photos are very valuable, for the engineers that are REALLY, the highly trained traffic analysts.

Within a reasonable amount of time.

With the RCMP having found a man stabbed in Polson Park early morning, why does it take half the day to inform the public why their park was shut down?

The media is part of the problem forsure, following the neighborhood lock down two weeks ago in the north end I contacted the media to find out if the man being targeted by the RCMP was ok.

While having the conversation I made mention of the article put out by said media outlet about the man being arrested in the end, I was told by the media member that the man was not arrested - while the article out of this employees media outlet stated exactly that "after the arrest..." I mentioned their very own article stated the man was arrested. What kind of lies do the RCMP and media together dream up?

I do not trust either operation. with very good reason.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

bob vernon wrote:" .... and media". Really? The media? Usually the media tries to get out the story as soon as possible. News is a competitive business and there are other news sites who want to get the story out first. It creates readership. Members of the media will try to get the inside information.

The RCMP probably have reasons for not being "transparent" in the short term. Example: If the suspect has escaped the search area and looks at his cell phone and discovers that the cops are floundering around in one part of town, then he'll head in the other direction. 'Lax. We'll all find out eventually. And the police will try to keep the public safe in the meantime.

News is COMPETITIVE!? that's a laugh!

Who owns the media?

Do you think many and varied individuals own the media outlets?
Because_They_Lie
Banned

bob vernon wrote:" .... and media". Really? The media? Usually the media tries to get out the story as soon as possible. News is a competitive business and there are other news sites who want to get the story out first. It creates readership. Members of the media will try to get the inside information.

The RCMP probably have reasons for not being "transparent" in the short term. Example: If the suspect has escaped the search area and looks at his cell phone and discovers that the cops are floundering around in one part of town, then he'll head in the other direction. 'Lax. We'll all find out eventually. And the police will try to keep the public safe in the meantime.

The last two incidents in the north end are nothing of the scenario you speak of.

Two people were inside their own homes. Entire neighborhood of humans beings are on lock down - because of one guy inside his home and a swat team of fully tactical geared RCMP members are flooding the street! NONSENSE!
Because_They_Lie
Banned

common_sense_guy wrote:Hey thread starter. If you want to know what's going on buy yourself at $80 frequency scanner and sit there and listen to it yourself. Very simple solution to your non problem.

That is not the point.

The point is TRANSPARENCY. HONESTY. that's the point. Not just FOR ME but for the PUBLIC who employ the RCMP and who read and believe that they can trust the media.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

GenesisGT wrote:Does the Op attend the city council meeting where the Superintendent provided an 18 page report on the activities of the RCMP, I doubt it, the information is there if you want to make the effort to get it.

Yeah right. That's what I will do, I will take time off of work to read through the 18 pages of BS that the RCMP do. No, how about the RCMP who are paid handsomely use the media to inform ALL citizens they are employed by?

Do you think each of us should take a day off work to discover what the RCMP are up to so that we have an INFORMED community? or do you think it is the JOB we have provided for these members within our community to provide us with protection and information?

With the cameras we are being asked to give up our privacy and sovereignty so the police can relax at timmy's a little longer and when they are good and ready they can sit with a bowl of popcorn and view some video footage!?

I will NOT give up my privacy and sovereignty so the RCMP can do their job, pure BS. anyone that thinks it is the right way to go because of the nasty criminals is an ABSOLUTE FOOL!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

What is this malarkey about "privacy and sovereignty" ?

These cameras are not being placedin your home, in bathrooms, bedrooms. They are being placed in public places where there is no expectation of privacy.

The cameras are not hidden.

In the case of each camera if feasible it would be legal for a police officer to be at that location watching for criminal activity or breaches of the peace.

Whenever there is a horrific crime the public generally is hoping that some private security camera may have caught the crime on camera.

In places like Great Britian they lobby for more cameras.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Because_They_Lie wrote:
GenesisGT wrote:Does the Op attend the city council meeting where the Superintendent provided an 18 page report on the activities of the RCMP, I doubt it, the information is there if you want to make the effort to get it.

Yeah right. That's what I will do, I will take time off of work to read through the 18 pages of BS that the RCMP do. No, how about the RCMP who are paid handsomely use the media to inform ALL citizens they are employed by?

Do you think each of us should take a day off work to discover what the RCMP are up to so that we have an INFORMED community? or do you think it is the JOB we have provided for these members within our community to provide us with protection and information?

With the cameras we are being asked to give up our privacy and sovereignty so the police can relax at timmy's a little longer and when they are good and ready they can sit with a bowl of popcorn and view some video footage!?

I will NOT give up my privacy and sovereignty so the RCMP can do their job, pure BS. anyone that thinks it is the right way to go because of the nasty criminals is an ABSOLUTE FOOL!

You complain that the media lies, this report comes straight from the RCMP (no middle man) and the report is on line so you can read it in between whining about them not making the information available.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

my5cents wrote:What is this malarkey about "privacy and sovereignty" ?

These cameras are not being placedin your home, in bathrooms, bedrooms. They are being placed in public places where there is no expectation of privacy.

The cameras are not hidden.

In the case of each camera if feasible it would be legal for a police officer to be at that location watching for criminal activity or breaches of the peace.

Whenever there is a horrific crime the public generally is hoping that some private security camera may have caught the crime on camera.

In places like Great Britian they lobby for more cameras.

Malarkey is your word.

If you do not comprehend what privacy and Sovereignty mean educate yourself.

So you are in support of ushering in and the creation of a absolute surveillance state?

Each to their own. I visited the UK and upon my return the Canada I jumped up and down on the hotel bed shouting "FREEDOM"

Go ahead, take a visit to the UK - experience for yourself first hand how closed off and afraid the citizens of the country live and interact. Nothing like Canada, where we say hello and thank you and have a good day - not so in the UK. Those people are WELL CONTROLLED and miserable. unless they are wealthy 1% Check it out for yourself.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

GenesisGT wrote:
You complain that the media lies, this report comes straight from the RCMP (no middle man) and the report is on line so you can read it in between whining about them not making the information available.

The RCMP lie all the time.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Because_They_Lie wrote:
GenesisGT wrote:

The RCMP lie all the time.

You believe they lie, so wouldn't it be true that if they provided more information it would only be a lie, so why complain that you want more information from some one, you believe lies when giving information.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Because_They_Lie wrote:With the RCMP having found a man stabbed in Polson Park early morning, why does it take half the day to inform the public why their park was shut down?
Didn't take half a day.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Social Concerns”