Decriminalizing all drugs

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Frisk
Guru

Re: Decriminalizing all drugs

Post by Frisk »

Why does it seem like those who believe more open access to drugs is the solution to drug addiction are always the same people who believe more guns isn't the solution to gun violence?
I'm not taking a side on either issue, just thought it seems a tad bit ironic...
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

They dont want to be shot for feeding their drug habits at others expense is my only guess
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 7th, 2018, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to bait.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Frisk wrote:Why does it seem like those who believe more open access to drugs is the solution to drug addiction are always the same people who believe more guns isn't the solution to gun violence?
I'm not taking a side on either issue, just thought it seems a tad bit ironic...

Because its not an issue of more open access to drugs, its already completely open access. Whats suggested is regulated drugs, which would reduce access to them since they would be purchased through licensed professionals who would be making sure people are legally eligible to take them.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Jflem1983 wrote:
Seen enough to know this crap is illegal for good reason. Lost more friends than some of u likely ever had .
Go to a few funerals maybe you will see what i mean.

Silverstarqueen wrote:Being illegal did not seem to save your friends, nor probably will legalizing it save anyone. People who are going to die from drugs will do it regardless if it's illegal or not.

I think you are wrong on this one SSQ. Understanding exactly how much of a drug you can tolerate is the key to staying alive.
Street drugs, particularly those laced with Fentanyl are the leading cause of death in the case of OD's. Users simply must trust the dealer to supply a tolerable dosage that does not kill them. Pharma can do that with a consistent dosage. If buddy decides to take more than prescribed there is not much anyone can do. Too many overdoses take place in spaces outside the view of anyone that can intervene. Having a safe injection site is like saying all street racers should do it only on an approved race track. A legal means of obtaining and using the drugs must be part of the equation.
Jflem1983 you need to find some new friends.
Waste not
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Well you have to ask are the current drug laws working?

Are they making society better or worst?

Is incarceration or rehabilitation/education better?
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

CapitalB wrote:My understanding is that with some drugs the addiction never actually goes away. Heroin for example, what I've heard is that you'll spend every second of the rest of your life wanting more. Even years after.

There is an old saying , one hit is too much and a thousand isn't enough.

Its a lifelong battle for some people to stay clean, just remember, don't take that first hit
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

for once i will agree with you :200: :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

What about the ones that accidentally fall into addiction by prescription pills and pain medications?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Gixxer wrote:Well you have to ask are the current drug laws working?

Are they making society better or worst?

Is incarceration or rehabilitation/education better?

Current laws are not working,they should go. i.e. there should be some sort of prescribed access.
Then drug addicts would become simply a medical problem. We can't force anyone to take medical treatment, so same as with mental health issues, they will continue for the majority who don't quit,

I agree with Grandan that at least some accidental overdoses would be avoided with more reliable supply (if it's cheaper than street drugs.

Incarceration and rehab are both far too expensive, and neither is all that effective.
Our medical system already is barely functioning, but even there, they do not do hip surgery and rehab if there is low chance of success.Docs don't continue to give chemo if it' s not working. So offer rehab, but if it's not working,and often it will not, stop rehab.
So yes, legalize drugs, provide access to "good" supply. But rehab should be offered, but not unlimited resources.Save the cost of incarceration, since it is useless, and not much of a deterrant.

Return to “Social Concerns”