Decriminalizing all drugs

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Decriminalizing all drugs

Post by cutter7 »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/po ... e37764543/

I welcome this proposal, Not that it will solve the problem but in hopes that the people at the base of addiction will get help instead of used by the system.

Instead of threatening addicts with jail and a painful withdrawal from drugs in exchange for information on their dealers maybe we will be seeking help for the people at the base of the problem, the addicts themselves.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Decriminalizing all drugs

Post by Silverstarqueen »

While decriminalizing drugs has some benefits such as not putting a person in legal jeapardy, it certainly does not ensure that they will get help for their addictions. So decriminalizing just increases access (maybe), but does not help the problem otherwise without also having some pretty comprehensive (expensive) programs which unfortunately don't have a great track record of sustained success for actually getting people back in to productive life-styles. It's a very complicated problem. If it were easy, it would have been solved by now given the huge cost and resources that are being sucked up into the problems of drug addictions.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

The government should not control any substances you put into your own body.

Statements like this show the complete lack of understanding; from the article:
"The Trudeau Liberals want to bring dangerous drugs into our community," one ad asserted. "The Liberals are rushing to legalizing (sic) marijuana despite concerns being raised by police and health professionals. And now they want to legalize prescription heroin!"

Health concerns, police concerns, these issues don't really exist. These are false issues pushed into the media to scare us that some epidemic will happen if we legalize drugs.

Magic mushrooms, salvia and marijuana are examples of plants that grow which have been banned because the government thinks they are dangerous. The real dangerous component is the crime associated with these drugs while they are illegal and need to be supplied by people who are involved with gangs.

There are synthetic drugs (derived from plants, look it up, morphine, ecstasy, cocaine all come from plants) which are also labeled as a controlled substance. Since these drugs need some human intervention for them to be in the desirable drug form, users rely on uncertified "chemists" to produce the drugs. A user never knows the exact potency, makeup or if it's laced with other substances which could be very harmful. To ensure these harmful substances are not in the drug of choice, regulate it, sell it legally.

Having to get a prescription from a doctor is also ridiculous. You should go to the doctor, he tells you what you need, you go see a pharmacist and he sells it to you, no need to go back to the doctor for permission (prescription top up). We are all capable humans, we can certainly decide what to take and not to take.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

It would be significantly safer to just have all drugs regulated by the state and sold by licensed professionals. Would dramatically reduce the amount of drug related problems we have. Fewer deaths, fewer young people suffering from addiction, fewer non violent offenders tying up or legal system. Just overall better for Canada. Anyone that advocates for prohibition is pro crime, pro addiction, pro underage use.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 7th, 2018, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Rather see it all stay illegal. Spent a few years on the crack. No need for that stuff to be legal
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Jflem1983 wrote: Rather see it all stay illegal.

Sure, after all "If it's broke, don't fix it" :smt045
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

What is broken is the enforcement side of the problem. Hand out 25 years for heroin possesion. Watch the death rate drop.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Great idea its about time. Having them illegal is not working or making the current situation any better.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

CapitalB wrote:It would be significantly safer to just have all drugs regulated by the state and sold by licensed professionals. Would dramatically reduce the amount of drug related problems we have. Fewer deaths, fewer young people suffering from addiction, fewer non violent offenders tying up or legal system. Just overall better for Canada. Anyone that advocates for prohibition is pro crime, pro addiction, pro underage use.

The reason we have a drug problem is because Dr's prescribed opiates for pain to patients without properly monitoring them.
Just about every story I hear is about someone with an injury who then got hooked and could not withdraw.
Blame the drug companies for creating a problem knowing full well that they would have customers for life.
From what I heard, Dr's were given vacations for prescribing vast quantities of opiates to their patients. My neighbour was prescribed for phantom pain from a lost limb. Criminalizing the final user is like putting your car in jail for speeding.
Yes, give the users clean drugs and then help them get clean through managed programs and get the police out of that racket.
The cost of handing out free drugs to users is small compared to the criminalization created by ill-informed law makers.
Waste not
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

While we are at it, let's cover it under MSP and pharmacare too.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Jflem1983 wrote: What is broken is the enforcement side of the problem. Hand out 25 years for heroin possesion. Watch the death rate drop.

I wonder if you could clarify your position on this? First, you post the above demonstrating really next to no understanding of the issue (apart from your own personal anecdotal evidence), and then you “liked” the post below (nice post by the way):

Grandan wrote: Criminalizing the final user is like putting your car in jail for speeding. Yes, give the users clean drugs and then help them get clean through managed programs and get the police out of that racket. The cost of handing out free drugs to users is small compared to the criminalization created by ill-informed law makers.

I’m wondering f you were able to change your mind somewhat after considering this idea (that would be impressive), or if you were just unable to recognize the contradiction. Which is it? Jail users for life, or help them get clean? Can you clarify?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Jflem1983 wrote:What is broken is the enforcement side of the problem. Hand out 25 years for heroin possesion. Watch the death rate drop.

Then I guess murder conviction would come with minimum sentence of 75 years, actually I'd be okay with this. So if the murderer is under 25 he/she may actually see their parole hearing (small chance).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Was a hard sarcastic like. Who on earth could support giving junkies drugs.

JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Jflem1983 wrote:Rather see it all stay illegal. Spent a few years on the crack. No need for that stuff to be legal

So the legality of the substance had no bearing on you abusing it but you think it should still be illegal? Why exactly?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Social Concerns”