Straw man arguments and you.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Straw man arguments and you.

Postby CapitalB » Mar 7th, 2018, 11:38 am

I've noticed this type of argument being used almost constantly on these forums. This is concerning to me as straw man arguments interrupt constructive discourse and debate. I get the feeling that a lot of the people using them don't know that its even a thing, so I'm posting a link to this lovely education video by PBS's Idea Channel. Maybe we'll see fewer straw man arguments on the board, or maybe people will be able to call them out more when they see it.

All for the goal of productive constructive discourse between conflicting views of course.

Last edited by CapitalB on Mar 7th, 2018, 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 840
Likes: 421 posts
Liked in: 554 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2017, 11:27 am

Re: Strawman arguments and you.

Postby GenesisGT » Mar 7th, 2018, 11:44 am

If you need to see the Strawman argument in use, watch Tucker Carlson on Fox News.
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Grandan likes this post.
User avatar
GenesisGT
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3567
Likes: 953 posts
Liked in: 2380 posts
Joined: Jun 19th, 2010, 11:21 am

Re: Strawman arguments and you.

Postby Bsuds » Mar 7th, 2018, 11:46 am

Sorry but Strawman and Straw Man are 2 different things.

I think you are referring to the Straw Man arguments.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Straw_man

I had to look up a written explanation because my hearing and laptop speakers do not get along. lol
Here is a frightening statistic...25% of Women are taking medications for mental illness.
That means 75% are running around untreated!
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 43117
Likes: 8932 posts
Liked in: 11335 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Straw man arguments and you.

Postby CapitalB » Mar 7th, 2018, 11:50 am

Thanks for the point out, I have added the requisite single space that I missed.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

Bsuds likes this post.
User avatar
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 840
Likes: 421 posts
Liked in: 554 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2017, 11:27 am

Re: Straw man arguments and you.

Postby Bsuds » Mar 7th, 2018, 11:59 am

CapitalB wrote:Thanks for the point out, I have added the requisite single space that I missed.


Could be confusing when basically the same words have 2 different meanings.
Here is a frightening statistic...25% of Women are taking medications for mental illness.
That means 75% are running around untreated!
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 43117
Likes: 8932 posts
Liked in: 11335 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Straw man arguments and you.

Postby youjustcomplain » Mar 7th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Thanks for the video. Hopefully it does enlighten some people.

It's funny though.. I can't have a discussion with my wife about anything without her attempting to reconstruct my argument in a simpler form so that she can cut down one of the points that she misrepresented. It always makes me mad !!!

Grandan likes this post.
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 779
Likes: 212 posts
Liked in: 479 posts
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 11:56 am

Re: Straw man arguments and you.

Postby CapitalB » Mar 7th, 2018, 12:35 pm

youjustcomplain wrote:Thanks for the video. Hopefully it does enlighten some people.

It's funny though.. I can't have a discussion with my wife about anything without her attempting to reconstruct my argument in a simpler form so that she can cut down one of the points that she misrepresented. It always makes me mad !!!


Idea channel has a whole series on arguing correctly, just saying ;]. The whole series is really good and I would suggest at least picking through the episodes to see if any are of interest. They choose a thing and over think it in every episode, they do a really good job of showing multiple sides of every idea.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
User avatar
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 840
Likes: 421 posts
Liked in: 554 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2017, 11:27 am

Re: Straw man arguments and you.

Postby LANDM » Mar 7th, 2018, 5:15 pm

CapitalB wrote:I've noticed this type of argument being used almost constantly on these forums. This is concerning to me as straw man arguments interrupt constructive discourse and debate. I get the feeling that a lot of the people using them don't know that its even a thing, so I'm posting a link to this lovely education video by PBS's Idea Channel. Maybe we'll see fewer straw man arguments on the board, or maybe people will be able to call them out more when they see it.

All for the goal of productive constructive discourse between conflicting views of course.

Oh, so what you’re saying is we can’t even have discussion unless it’s how you want it to be done?

:biggrin: :biggrin:

normaM likes this post.
LANDM
Guru
 
Posts: 6484
Likes: 1792 posts
Liked in: 3438 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 10:58 am

Re: Straw man arguments and you.

Postby CapitalB » Mar 7th, 2018, 5:19 pm

LANDM wrote:
CapitalB wrote:I've noticed this type of argument being used almost constantly on these forums. This is concerning to me as straw man arguments interrupt constructive discourse and debate. I get the feeling that a lot of the people using them don't know that its even a thing, so I'm posting a link to this lovely education video by PBS's Idea Channel. Maybe we'll see fewer straw man arguments on the board, or maybe people will be able to call them out more when they see it.

All for the goal of productive constructive discourse between conflicting views of course.

Oh, so what you’re saying is we can’t even have discussion unless it’s how you want it to be done?

:biggrin: :biggrin:


I hope those big grins are there to illustrate that you are literally making a straw man in your post.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
User avatar
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 840
Likes: 421 posts
Liked in: 554 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2017, 11:27 am

Re: Straw man arguments and you.

Postby youjustcomplain » Mar 8th, 2018, 8:01 am

CapitalB wrote:I hope those big grins are there to illustrate that you are literally making a straw man in your post.


I'm quite certain that is what happened. made me laugh. :)
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 779
Likes: 212 posts
Liked in: 479 posts
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 11:56 am

Re: Straw man arguments and you.

Postby TylerM4 » Mar 8th, 2018, 8:33 am

So frustrating when someone pulls this on you. When it happens, I usually just end the conversation. When it occurs the person you're conversing with just wants to be "right" and doesn't actually care about the topic at hand or simply refuses to consider your arguement. No way it's going to be a productive conversation at that point.

CapitalB likes this post.
TylerM4
Übergod
 
Posts: 1458
Likes: 339 posts
Liked in: 1143 posts
Joined: Feb 27th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Re: Straw man arguments and you.

Postby LANDM » Mar 8th, 2018, 8:58 am

CapitalB wrote:
LANDM wrote:Oh, so what you’re saying is we can’t even have discussion unless it’s how you want it to be done?

:biggrin: :biggrin:


I hope those big grins are there to illustrate that you are literally making a straw man in your post.


Oh sure, now you’re saying I can’t even respond without you saying it’s a straw man argument!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I added one more big grin to hopefully make it clear that yes, I was fully aware of that.
LANDM
Guru
 
Posts: 6484
Likes: 1792 posts
Liked in: 3438 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 10:58 am

Re: Straw man arguments and you.

Postby CapitalB » Mar 8th, 2018, 9:44 am

Haha I'm glad, it gets hard to tell the difference between satire and actual responses around here sometimes.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
User avatar
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 840
Likes: 421 posts
Liked in: 554 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2017, 11:27 am

Re: Straw man arguments and you.

Postby LANDM » Mar 8th, 2018, 1:33 pm

CapitalB wrote:Haha I'm glad, it gets hard to tell the difference between satire and actual responses around here sometimes.


Now you’re saying all responses are satirical.

Sorry.......it has officially worn thin and I will light my straw self on fire now. :130:

CapitalB likes this post.
LANDM
Guru
 
Posts: 6484
Likes: 1792 posts
Liked in: 3438 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 10:58 am

Re: Straw man arguments and you.

Postby normaM » Mar 9th, 2018, 6:36 am

Since it has been used forever especially over hot button topics doubt people will stop using it even if you wish they would.
Shouldn't bother you really as long as you stick to your point (s) and not be sidetracked into calling them out.
Don't think yourself as an ugly person... Think of yourself as a beautiful monkey
User avatar
normaM
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16771
Likes: 5277 posts
Liked in: 3552 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2007, 6:28 am

Next

Return to Social Concerns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 3 guests