Straw man arguments and you.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Re: Straw man arguments and you.

Post by Jack DeBear »

CapitalB wrote:I've noticed this type of argument being used almost constantly on these forums. This is concerning to me as straw man arguments interrupt constructive discourse and debate. I get the feeling that a lot of the people using them don't know that its even a thing, so I'm posting a link to this lovely education video by PBS's Idea Channel. Maybe we'll see fewer straw man arguments on the board, or maybe people will be able to call them out more when they see it.

All for the goal of productive constructive discourse between conflicting views of course.

LANDM wrote:Oh, so what you’re saying is we can’t even have discussion unless it’s how you want it to be done?

:biggrin: :biggrin:

CapitalB wrote:I hope those big grins are there to illustrate that you are literally making a straw man in your post.

That's not a straw man; that's active listening. It's an example of LANDM paraphrasing what they thought your were saying framed as a question so you have an opportunity to confirm the assumption or deny it and repeat or rephrase your original statement. It helps towards clearing up any misunderstandings.
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Post by Jack DeBear »

There are plenty of examples of active listening in this interview by the much maligned Cathy Newman.

CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Its not. Also she agreed that it was a straw man made in satire (which flew over my head).

Active listening would be rephrasing what I said more simply not hyperbolizing it into a false black and white dichotomy.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

This thread had played out exactly as I hoped it would. :biggrin:
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Post by Jack DeBear »

CapitalB wrote:Its not. Also she agreed that it was a straw man made in satire (which flew over my head).

Active listening would be rephrasing what I said more simply not hyperbolizing it into a false black and white dichotomy.

First, who is 'she?' What is 'it?' And a reference to 'her' agreement please.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

StraitTalk wrote:This thread had played out exactly as I hoped it would. :biggrin:

Yeah, you really hoped that people would be killing each other here.

Nooooo, I can’t stop...
:sosorry:
You and 71 others Like this post
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

IMO, people are generally more interested in debate than discussion.

In one, the goal is to further understanding, and it is unnecessary to take sides although that does sometimes happen.

Most often here, though, it's about debate, which does require taking a side and trying to make a case for it, because it's more about winning and losing than it is about furthering our collective understanding. So it becomes about "arguing effectively" instead of about truly trying to understand others' viewpoints. (And being open to the possibility there may be nothing to argue about, because we all want best outcomes in the end.)

:swear: Deep thoughts ruining what's been a fun and interesting thread. :thumbsdown:
K. I'm outta here, :runforlife:
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Post by Jack DeBear »

Return to “Social Concerns”