Why do men hate seeing a Doctor?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Men: why do you put off seeing a Doctor?

I love seeing my Doctor!
30%
I hate seeing my Doctor!
10%
My wife hasn't nagged me enough times to go see a Dr. yet.
10%
I'm too busy to make the appointment and what if the appointment interferes with closing a deal?
No votes
I can't even get a Doctor!
20%
They're all quacks in white coats, I get my info off of the internet.
5%
Don't want invasive stuff being done to me and too embarrassing.
5%
I know what happened to the last guy who saw one!
20%

Total votes: 20

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Why do men hate seeing a Doctor?

Post by Queen K »

And that's the whole point to my thread, to see if any castanet guys might be inspired to get a check up.

Quit being such babies! :130:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

My hubby smoked for years (otherwise lead a very healthy lifestyle). I don't recall him ever saying his doctor made a suggestion on quitting, cutting back or any aids to quit smoking. The one time, when he was trying to quit, and thought maybe a medication might help him, his doctor said he didn't need it. He did eventually get a doctor who knew his stuff a better ( I went with him to appointments to keep track of doctor's treatment or lack of it. This doctor knew medicine better, but absolutely had no interest in preserving my hubby's health or life when he really needed treatment. He was MIA. So , I don't know, maybe the guys who don't bother going to the doc, aren't doing that much worse.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Sometimes I wonder, are our doctors getting paid some bonus Not to treat health issues? Are they being cautioned to just let stuff slide until it gets critical? Because that is what it looks like to me (having seen several family members going thru health issues).
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Queen K wrote:And that's the whole point to my thread, to see if any castanet guys might be inspired to get a check up.

Quit being such babies! :130:

Have a good friend I've known since high school who I always assumed would be putting around on Woods Lake with me into our 80's. Unfortunately, like most of us he's got a few habits that seem to be taking thier toll. I've been asking him for years just to get a simple physical and blood test just in case. Its all been in vain because as far as he's concerned he'd rather not know. Seems like a needless risk to me but he learned it from his dad who was the same way and is still alive in his 90's. Think many of us men have just simply been taught by our fathers, that when it comes to our health, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

The last time I went to a doctor , he shoved his finger up my *bleep* ...

Didn't even kiss me first.... prick ..

I'll never go back.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
SuperMom
Board Meister

Post by SuperMom »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Sometimes I wonder, are our doctors getting paid some bonus Not to treat health issues? Are they being cautioned to just let stuff slide until it gets critical? Because that is what it looks like to me (having seen several family members going thru health issues).

I'm sure there are good doctors out there, but my family doctor seems to be one of those who get paid to not treat health issues. Of course, he must provide actual care to some of his patients, including my husband. I'm just one of the unlucky ones, I guess.

I am dealing with an injury that comes with significant impact on my life. My doctor's favourite words to me are, "It takes time. See me in 2 weeks." Then when I do show up in 2 weeks, he asks what I'm there for. I remind him about the pain and physical limitations, and he replies, "It takes time. See me in 2 weeks."

He's getting paid every time I show up, even though he spends less than 5 minutes with me and does virtually nothing.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

We just lost a friend who was 42 yrs old because he waited wayyyyyyy to long before going to the doctor. And we have another one in hospice right now, who is older, but could have lived a lot longer if he too had looked after his health issues when they first started.

These men, and many others, do not realise that if they end up developing a serious illness, the ones left picking up the pieces are often their partners. parents and/or their children. So guys, if you really need to avoid doctors, at least spare your family further pain and suffering by putting your affairs (not those kind :1422:) in order. Write the Will, appoint the Power of Attorney and the Enduring Power of Attorney before the crisis hits!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I wish I had put in a different poll option:

I've been inspired to call and make an appt. with my Doctor now that I've seen this poll.

How many men took the time to "make the call"? :admin:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

oldtrucker wrote:Perhaps you should do a "who is terrified of going to KGH" poll 'Queen K'. I know I should have probably gone to KGH emergency a few times but put it off and/or went to Penticton or Vernon. I have also requested to have surgery in another place other than KGH in the past. I don't know if others feel the same way.

LOL. I live in Vernon. I have seen some very scarey things, and heard shocking stories about ER care here. So if I had a family member with something serious, I would seriously consider taking them to KGH. Way better surgeons there.Of the family members that I have had at KGH, the docs went above and beyond, but they are very very busy. Either way, if the patient is elderly, there had better be a family member there to pitch for them.

Return to “Social Concerns”