Phishing Schemes - CRA

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
AltaRed
Fledgling

Phishing Schemes - CRA

Post by AltaRed »

I didn't see a thread on this but wanted to mention that given tax season, the scammers are out in force trying to scare people into 'settling' their CRA debts before pending action on collection. The latest came to me today from 289-919-5344 which is a known scam number per Google.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Phishing Schemes - CRA

Post by gman313 »

yep I've gotten two

and they seem to be able to make it look like it's coming from a local number
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

What ! Do you mean, that the CRA doesn't send the RCMP to arrest someone in arrears if they don't "pay up" with iTunes cards ????

I don't know what is sadder :
    - The fact the RCMP, just "op out"..... "we don't investigate that crime"....
    - (and because of above) unscrupulous individuals operated with immunity from foreign countries and victimize our citizens
    - That some of our citizens are so poorly informed and easily fooled that they actually think CRA can authorize arrests and seek payment with iTunes cards
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

A prerecorded message from 613-777-8342 claiming to be CRA advising me that a tax fraud has occurred with my return.
Please return call asap so the matter can be dealt with quickly.

I agree to the fraud part, but it was committed against me by the CRA. They can refund my cheques for last few years.

Haha :laugh:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

My big worry is that they are going to force me to declare the several million dollars I've got coming my way from a Nigerian prince. The cash should be in my bank account any day now, because I sent Prince Scamobly all my banking information over three weeks ago.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
savvybusinessman
Board Meister

Post by savvybusinessman »

Catsumi wrote:A prerecorded message from 613-777-8342 claiming to be CRA advising me that a tax fraud has occurred with my return.

I agree to the fraud part, but it was committed against me by the CRA. They can refund my cheques for last few years.

I received such a message on my cell phone but it said the police were going to show up at my house in one hour and arrest me.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=77570

Even have the prerecorded from a 604 exchange. Happens every year.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Catsumi wrote:A prerecorded message from 613-777-8342 claiming to be CRA advising me that a tax fraud has occurred with my return.

savvybusinessman wrote:I received such a message on my cell phone but it said the police were going to show up at my house in one hour and arrest me.

My response would be.... I will be waiting & looking forward to the visit.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We got that call over a week ago and no police yet. I am not sleeping well waiting for the boom to drop! :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

RupertBear wrote:My big worry is that they are going to force me to declare the several million dollars I've got coming my way from a Nigerian prince. The cash should be in my bank account any day now, because I sent Prince Scamobly all my banking information over three weeks ago.

Not to worry. The Nigerian Prince is sipping tea at my place, now. Both of us anxiously awaiting the windfall into my bank account. My most pressing concern at the moment, will he still be here at dinnertime? What does one feed to a Prince with such booty that may come my way? Mac and cheese?

:biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown

Return to “Social Concerns”