The economics of law enforcement

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
supert160

The economics of law enforcement

Post by supert160 »

Two or three recent experiences have refocused my long term study of my navel to the statistics of law enforcement.

The first experience was a personal encounter with the RCMP. Driving by Duck Lake, talking on my phone, I was detained and fined for my unlawful behavior. My first and hopefully my only penalty for using an electronic device while operating a motor vehicle netted the Receiver General $385.00. Further, I was awarded 4 demerit points, which means I have another 170 dollars or so to pay when I re insure my dual sport if spring ever arrives.

I was detained for about 3 minutes. There were 3 others pulled over at the same time. So 20 groups of 4 in an hour is 80 fines per hour. Speeding, talking on the phone, no seat belt, lets say average is $200 per hour. Thats $16 k per hour. There were 8 of Canadas finest working there, at a budget hit of $130k/year/member budget hit to CoK. So,its expensive to patrol us wayward souls for sure, but it also generates revenue.

Second experience. One of my guys had his wallet taken from my truck that he drives last week. Company credit card in the wallet. 99 dollars of cigarettes and coffee at the 7-11 were purchased using the tap thing. I am sure that we can get video from the store where the purchases were made. But even if we did, will it be pursued? I am out 100 bucks, and my guy is out the cost of new id, but it will cost way more than that to investigate it and will the investigation net any revenue?

It seems to me that, statistically, it is far more lucrative for municipal and provincial budgets to persecute and fine the mainstream of society than it is to deal with petty theft and homelessness associated with those souls on the margins of it.
Even Steven
Guru

Re: The economics of law enforcement

Post by Even Steven »

Thank you for your hefty contribution towards policing budget so the people who actually obey the law don't have to pay higher taxes.
Kelo_Can613
Fledgling

Post by Kelo_Can613 »

The problem with stolen credit cards and subsequent fraud investigations is that the bank or card issuer generally becomes the "victim" because the cardholder usually gets reimbursed for the fraudulent activity. The banks cannot be bothered to prosecute because the loss is peanuts to them in the grand scheme of things (otherwise the "tap" feature would have been removed long ago). The banks just eat the loss and generally ask that the card holder obtain a police file number.

Sure, the police can get video surveillance from 7 Eleven; but at the end of the day, if the banks don't care, why should the police? And unfortunately, the video from 7 Eleven may implicate a suspect in committing the fraud, but it certainly does not prove the theft of the card from the vehicle. Realistically, the police do not have time to investigate every theft from vehicle, especially when they constantly remind the public to not leave valuables in vehicles.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

I hate to sound judgmental but leaving your wallet in a vehicle is risky at the best of times never mind someone elses vehicle. My wallet never leaves my pocket except to pay.
The implications are now clear to your worker of why it is a bad idea, sorry he had to learn the hard way.
Waste not
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

And now the reality, Fools with in society are costing us $$$, time and focus.
Your cell phone issue costs far more than just your experience on the side of the hwy. Millions are spent in courts because of the accidents and deaths that happen due to your cell addiction.
Leaving any valuables in sight with in your vehicle is also a waste of everyone's time.
Consider these just , lessons and hopefully learn from them.
In the meantime our law enforcement has to spend all its time, and money trying to get people to grow up.

cheers.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Yeah, I don't think anyone who is mis-using a cell phone while driving is going to corral a lot of sympathy from the rest of us, even if it is an activity of "mainstream society". I'm sure we all have our horror stories, but I have seen a driver making an incorrect left turn at one of the busiest interesections in town. The look of horror on her face as she attempted to correct, and the cellphone dropping from her ear.... Fortunately for me it was just a near miss, but it never should have happened. How many near misses do cell phone drivers have before they finally injure or kill someone? Just don't do it folks.

If you want to live in a country where you can leave your wallet laying around and expect it not to be taken, you have to move to Japan.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

I would say the economics of law enforcement is frustrating to say the least from the side of law enforcement. Do you honestly think any officer that joined the RCMP, or any kid for that matter that dreamt of being a Policeman had the idea of traffic enforcement in mind??? No, they are stuck doing it because people in today's society continue to feel they are above the rules. Don't you think every officer on every force would rather be taking bad guys off the street, yet there they are dealing with the morons that still feel the need to talk and text on their phones while driving, and not wear seat belts, and speed, and run stop signs. Then we go into getting a wallet stolen from in a truck... are we really going backward in this world now or what!!!
Next thing we will be complaining about is someone took the $50 bill I left on the park bench...

You want Police to concentrate on different Police issues, stop being part of the problem that keeps taking them away from it.

Return to “Social Concerns”