Sometimes it's just a waste of time to shop local.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Sometimes it's just a waste of time to shop local.

Post by alanjh595 »

I'm wondering.....how does that work for those that live say, a 40 minute drive (one-way) from the nearest town (let's say 100 Mile House)?
Bring back the LIKE button.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

It's good to support local small businesses when you can. Sometimes you're even better off!

Here's a recent experience I had with amazon. I wanted a small piece of plexi-glass/acrylic. Ordered it from Amazon - $30 and not eligible for amazon prime so had to pay shipping and wait a month. A month later it still had not arrived. Checked status and wasn't even marked as shipped. Emailed seller, no replies. Eventually had to contact amazon customer support and have them cancel the order and give my money back.

After that experience I decided to buy locally as I didn't want to wait another month. Found a local business. They were willing to cut it to exactly the size I needed. They had it ready for me the same day...and it cost less than $10. Kicked myself for that one.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

TylerM4 wrote:It's good to support local small businesses when you can. Sometimes you're even better off!

Here's a recent experience I had with amazon. I wanted a small piece of plexi-glass/acrylic. Ordered it from Amazon - $30 and not eligible for amazon prime so had to pay shipping and wait a month. A month later it still had not arrived. Checked status and wasn't even marked as shipped. Emailed seller, no replies. Eventually had to contact amazon customer support and have them cancel the order and give my money back.

After that experience I decided to buy locally as I didn't want to wait another month. Found a local business. They were willing to cut it to exactly the size I needed. They had it ready for me the same day...and it cost less than $10. Kicked myself for that one.

Totally! You just get used to which services and products you should buy locally, and which should be bought online.

Want a 20 foot HDMI cable? Head down to Best Buy and you'll find them for over $100, depending on which brand and whether they're advertising gold plating and such... OR, if you can wait 2 days, you can have it sent to you, prime, for like $5.

At the end of the day, I can't notice a difference between a $100 cable or a $5 cable.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My wife's birthday is in a couple of weeks so I asked her what she would like to get. She is a quilter and wants a new 3 piece carry case for her sewing machine and other stuff she takes with her to go to where she quilts.

Local store..not in stock and $416 incl taxes, on sale

Amazon Canada...$467 including taxes and shipping

Amazon US $127 US including shipping to Canada ($170cdn on my card)

It was supposed to arrive next Tuesday which is 4 days before her BD. It arrived today!!! :up: :up: :up:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I also have had great success with ordering on-line. I once received something damaged, I too a photo and I got a new one very quickly. I didn't even have to send the damaged one back.
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “Social Concerns”