Grocery store cashiers

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Grocery store cashiers

Post by CapitalB »

Even Steven wrote:Thank god for Amazon.

No need to be friends with cashiers, no need to make small talk, no need to even put your underwear.

I've occasionally extended that pleasure to save on foods' shop online and pick it up at the store service. Not having to dodge crazy people playing destruction derby with their shopping carts 10/10 would skip people again.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

AlienSoldier wrote:I use self checkout. It’s easier and I don’t have to get into weird conversations.

I hate self check outs....it's so impersonal. I avoid them like the plaque.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Really I just wanted the cashiers to pack my purchases appropriately. It seem like no one gets trained anymore on how to it. I spend my time giving instructions to the cashier to ensure it's done. Please please do not package raw meats with my other groceries.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

alanjh595 wrote:I shop at an IGA. They all know me there by name and I know theirs. We know a little personal information about each other and they give me hints as to what is coming up on sale soon and inform me that if I wait a few days I can get a better price.
We all smile and joke with each other and if the line-up is more than 2 deep, another cashier will open up. Going to my store is a great social experience.
The same goes for T-bones, and my bank. I have such a great rapport with these people, that I can call my butcher and pre-order my special order steaks and hamburger for me to pick up the next day. NO.....I don't get my meat from the bank.....before you say it. :D

MMM T-Bones :up: love it there.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I love my grocery store clerks.. And my bank tellers , coffee severs ( i don't do "barista's ") Macs attendants et al ....

They are all part of the "human contact" that makes my day ...

Sometimes , I have a bad day and those people are there just to listen. And there's NO doubt in my mind that they don't know what I'm going through because they go through the same thing every day ... MOST times , I have a good day and those people can share their good days with me too..

Slow down people ... Remember that those who serve "us" serve others like we do too..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I know I sometimes get annoyed when the grocery store cashier is having a long talk with someone ahead.. then I think they are probably lonely and it's maybe their only social interaction of the day.
I have an unusual name and prefer clerks, cashiers, servers don't use it.

hopeyeu So sorry to hear about your fur baby :(
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

normaM wrote:I know I sometimes get annoyed when the grocery store cashier is having a long talk with someone ahead.. then I think they are probably lonely and it's maybe their only social interaction of the day.
I have an unusual name and prefer clerks, cashiers, servers don't use it.

hopeyeu So sorry to hear about your fur baby :(

If they are lonely they should buy the new Google AI pod for their home. It can talk to you, answer questions, order food, make appointments, call restaurants and plan events for you and put them in your calendar and maps. Its very impressive and initiative. Link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvbHu_bVa_g
Chimera

Post by Chimera »

Now some of you are not going to be happy with what I am going to say. I am a cashier. My job is to smile and provide you with a service but it is not my duty to provide small talk. Even if I have the time, I have other duties to attend to like cleaning, stocking supplies, etc. Yes, I am always available to answer questions related to our products/services but that is pretty much all that most cashiers have time for. If my boss sees me chatting too long I will get in trouble. So please don’t get offended if we don’t engage in chit chat. I’m sure this is the same for lots of customer service businesses, not just grocery stores. Thank you.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Chimera, I would be very happy to be served by you.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Chimera, me too. I am just happy enough when cashier acknowledges me coming up next, rather than having them still talking with previous customer right through my check out process.

Another beef, I just wish they could say "that comes to $20.00 "please" (smile good too). Quite often I feel like a hold up victim being demanded to hand over the $20.00

Just common, simple courtesy. Costs zip. :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
CoolGreenBoy

Post by CoolGreenBoy »

If I were a cashier, I'd be really happy to hear such things.
MalaPropina
Board Meister

Post by MalaPropina »

I see this from both sides.

I've been going to the same grocery store for years...decades really. I know many of the staff by name and they know me. Its nice that they engage in some chit chat some days. That personal touch lifts my spirits if I've had a bad day.

As a clerk myself, I have many regular customers and sometimes you can just see that they need to talk, need a smile, need someone just to say "How are you?" I've come out from behind the counter to give a hug when someone needed it. However, I am mindful to ensure no one else is waiting in line behind them. If no one is there, sure, I'd love to see a picture of their new puppy or their daughter's wedding. A minute or two out of my day to show someone kindness or share in their happiness is not an imposition. :D
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

Bsuds wrote:
pmaria wrote:
Source: I've worked in the grocery industry 20+ years and I currently write the software that runs grocery tills.

Would you please have the tills ask less questions when I am paying! (I know, that's not you) lol

There are a couple of places in town where you have to answer 50 questions to finally pay!

I had a laugh, my specialty is the card payment systems, and this week I've been working on behalf of a customer to speed up the checkout process because of too many questions, especially when doing refunds. The card processing company is stubborn and claims they cant make the relatively simple changes.

So I'm just as annoyed as you :)
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Even Steven wrote:No need to be friends with cashiers, no need to make small talk, no need to even put your underwear.

You don't need to be friends with the cashiers. Human interaction and social skills is a vital fundamental necessity of human development. Its unfortunate that some people are pro activists of the downward spiral of our species that has taken hundreds of thousands of years to development simply because they're lazy.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

MalaPropina wrote:As a clerk myself, I have many regular customers and sometimes you can just see that they need to talk, need a smile, need someone just to say "How are you?" I've come out from behind the counter to give a hug when someone needed it. However, I am mindful to ensure no one else is waiting in line behind them. If no one is there, sure, I'd love to see a picture of their new puppy or their daughter's wedding. A minute or two out of my day to show someone kindness or share in their happiness is not an imposition. :D

My experience as a cashier was very similar to yours. I know that some grocery stores are managed differently, and I have heard stories from cashiers that are similar to chimera's. But at the grocery store I worked out, we were told to be social, chatty, happy.

I definitely remembered frequent shoppers, but I took my cues from them on whether or not they wanted to chat. I would see the same people day after day, and they would only ever keep the conversation at small talk, and so would I.

There were customers who would make my day to see, and would start/continue private conversations with you. I've watched people's children grow up, people who have purchased Christmas/Graduation/Birthday presents for me, people who funerals I have attended, customers who have brought me a coffee when I told them I was tired etc.
hail Satan y'all

Return to “Social Concerns”