Jordan Peterson’s BS

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Jordan Peterson’s BS

Postby CapitalB » May 24th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Jordan Peterson's thought is filled with pseudo-science, bad pop psychology, and deep irrationalism. In other words, he’s full of S.

We must reject the characterization of Peterson’s fan base as normal people who are sick and tired of the politically correct left; this assumption simply repeats Nietzsche’s disdain for the common struggles of the oppressed, including the struggles of racial minorities, women, and LGBTQ people. It accepts a standard of normal as defined by the mainstream media or, worse, by the alt-right themselves.

~snip~

Peterson does not speak for what is “normal.” His jargon of authenticity — that he is just a simple academic fighting for truth amid so much political correctness and censorship — masks his authoritarian ideas. He calls Marxism a “murderous ideology,” but his paranoid and conspiratorial politics are hard to distinguish from the alt-right’s denunciations of cultural Marxism. Indeed, the line between Peterson’s authoritarianism and Richard Spencer’s paleo-Nazism is a blurry one.

This is article digs into peterson and the torrent of nonsense he's constantly dumping into the media. It does a good job of explaining the roots of his bent philosophy and furthers that into debunking just a lot of all of that.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

2 people like this post.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 558 posts

Re: Jordan Peterson’s BS

Postby rustled » May 24th, 2018, 4:45 pm

Unsurprising this particular publication would set out to "debunk" Peterson:
I really like Jacobin — it’s very explicitly on the radical left, and sort of hostile to liberal accommodationism. There’s a lot in there that I don’t necessarily agree with, but it’s bracingly rigorous and polemical in a really thought-provoking way. It’s a really well-done publication, almost preternaturally good.

— Chris Hayes, host of All In w/ Chris Hayes

Interesting they claim to know his thoughts. Doodooodoodooo.... Twilight Zone stuff. :147:

Hilarious they found Newman's behaviour "relatively polite" [icon_lol2.gif] and the backlash she experienced "misogynistic".

3 people like this post.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 8457 posts

Postby Glacier » May 24th, 2018, 6:06 pm

rustled wrote:Hilarious they found Newman's behaviour "relatively polite" [icon_lol2.gif] and the backlash she experienced "misogynistic".

The critics' main beef is that Peterson views Marxism as a murderous ideology -- WHICH IT IS if empirical evidence means anything to you! I can only guess that's because they are Marxists themselves.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

4 people like this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 11693 posts

Postby burnedatstake » May 24th, 2018, 8:31 pm

Glacier wrote:The critics' main beef is that Peterson views Marxism as a murderous ideology -- WHICH IT IS if empirical evidence means anything to you! I can only guess that's because they are Marxists themselves.

whos bombs are being sold and used to level yemen? whos clandestine services are destabilizing countries and creating mass refugees? whos military complex is pushing our world to the brink daily? funny how some people rationalize their own murderous ways and scandalize others. im sure peterson has a well versed rebuttal for sentiments like this. but it doesnt mean it is absolute. no matter how intelligent or cerebral his response is. he has made a name for having a clever answer for everything. he is nothing but a product now. the question is how long he will be a flavor of the month.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.

CapitalB likes this post.
burnedatstake
Übergod

Liked in: 457 posts

Postby Glacier » May 24th, 2018, 10:53 pm

Marxists have killed more people than Nazis have. It's a horrible ideology that has lead to 100 million dead thanks to the Gulags and the failed economic theories. Look at Zimbabwe, Venezuela, or North Korea for recent examples.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

4 people like this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 11693 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » May 25th, 2018, 7:16 am

Jordan Peterson actually makes a lot of sense, which is why so many people simply can't abide him.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.

10 people like this post.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4320 posts

Postby Jack DeBear » May 25th, 2018, 7:33 am

Thanks, CapitalB, for starting a much anticipated and needed thread on Jordan Peterson.

Um, but with an article where three-quarters of the links lead to internal: including the one broken link, which, on further inspection, leads to internal as well. And all but one of the other links leads to indirect references on the ‘subject’ himself . . ..

Humm, so, "In other words," I’m not really sure yet who’s full of :cuss: .
Last edited by ferri on May 25th, 2018, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Word censor workaround.
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Liked in: 199 posts

Postby Jack DeBear » May 25th, 2018, 12:56 pm

"I was Jordan Peterson’s strongest supporter. Now I think he’s dangerous"

By Bernard Schiff

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/2018/05/ ... erous.html

But because Peterson many not have lived up to four of his rules, it doesn’t mean his rules are unworthy.

1. Stand up straight with your shoulders back.

2. Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping.

3. Make friends with people who want the best for you.

4. Compare yourself with who you were yesterday, not with who someone else is today.

5. Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them.

6. Set yourself in perfect order before you criticise the world.

7. Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient).

8. Tell the truth, or at least don’t lie.

9. Assume the person you are listening to might know something you don’t.

10. Be precise in your speech.

11. Do not bother children when they are skate-boarding.

12. Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street.

(from)

“12 Rules for Life An Antidote to Chaos”
Peterson, Jordan B.

http://orl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/378975111

PS the article was originally posted by floppi over on this thread: which used to be under 'Canada.'

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.ph ... 4&start=15
Last edited by Jack DeBear on May 26th, 2018, 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

dirtybiker likes this post.
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Postby sobrohusfat » May 25th, 2018, 2:47 pm

chicks dig Peterson.jpg

sort yourself out.jpg

lol

the chicks dig a self controlled monster
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MAY THE BRIDGES I BURN LIGHT THE WAY
sobrohusfat
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2179 posts

Postby Poindexter » May 25th, 2018, 4:07 pm

I found my preconceived notions really effected the way I first interpreted what Peterson was saying. Didn't originally like him but he made too much sense to simply write off as either left or right politically. I find it odd that there even has to be sides with someone who may have diagnosed what is making some young men lousy sons, employees, and partners while being self destructive to themselves. To me it's in everyone's best interest that young men of this generation grow up emotionally and Peterson seems to have the prescription to start that process. He alone isn't going to solve the issue but at least he recognized and raised awareness of something effecting many families that everyone else seemed content to ignore.

10 people like this post.
Poindexter
Guru

Liked in: 4535 posts

Postby Bigjohn69 » May 25th, 2018, 6:42 pm

All anyone needs to know of this guy is this

The Bible is, for better or worse, the foundational document of western civilization…Its careful, respectful study can reveal things to us about what we believe and how we do and should act that can be discovered in almost no other manner.”

That one his quotes, and. Its,really all he is pushing ,a faith version of the other rightwing no mind ayn rand .

3 people like this post.
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Liked in: 135 posts

Postby burnedatstake » May 25th, 2018, 8:46 pm

great point.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
burnedatstake
Übergod

Liked in: 457 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » May 25th, 2018, 9:25 pm

Bigjohn69 wrote:All anyone needs to know of this guy is this

The Bible is, for better or worse, the foundational document of western civilization…Its careful, respectful study can reveal things to us about what we believe and how we do and should act that can be discovered in almost no other manner.”

That one his quotes, and. Its,really all he is pushing ,a faith version of the other rightwing no mind ayn rand .

I'm sorry, I can't actually make sense of your sentence. Would you rephrase, please?
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.

4 people like this post.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4320 posts

Postby Bigjohn69 » May 25th, 2018, 11:38 pm

Several years ago, Jordan Peterson told me he wanted to buy a church. This was long before he became known as “the most influential public intellectual in the Western world,” as he was described in the pages of the New York Times a few months ago. It was before he was fancied to be a truth-telling sage who inspired legions, and the author of one of the bestselling books in the world this year. He was just my colleague and friend.

I assumed that it was for a new home — there was a trend in Toronto of converting religious spaces, vacant because of their dwindling congregations, into stylish lofts — but he corrected me. He wanted to establish a church, he said, in which he would deliver sermons every Sunday.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/2018/05 ... erous.html

He is i believe a modern snakeoil salesmen and so far he is getting rich off simpleminded suckers
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Liked in: 135 posts

Postby Jack DeBear » May 26th, 2018, 5:08 am

Bigjohn69 wrote:All anyone needs to know of this guy is this

Whatever Bigjohn69 means by that, it's from page 104 in Peterson's book, 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote for Chaos.

This is from a passage that follows it:

. . . when His people strayed from the path—when they disobeyed His injunctions, violated His covenants, and broke His commandments—trouble was certain to follow. If you did not do what Old Testament God demanded—whatever that might have been and however you might have tried to hide from it—you and your children and your children’s children were in terrible, serious trouble. . . . (pg. 104-105)

What a bunch of BS, eh?

I posted a link to the book, above.
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Next

Return to Social Concerns