Freeloading House Guests

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Freeloading House Guests

Post by Catsumi »

Queen K wrote:I have a small house. No extra bedrooms. I regret that because there are many people I'd love to have been able to invite over.

I'm sure I spotted a skunk sized alcove near the kitchen. Just saying. [icon_lol2.gif]
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You're a prime example of how I'd love to have a guest room. Drive on down, check out the local sights, go harass Bpeep, steal her taters at 3 am, come back, laugh and laugh...and you can skeedadle when you feel the traffic is good for gettin' home.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Queen K wrote:I have a small house. No extra bedrooms. I regret that because there are many people I'd love to have been able to invite over.

You wouldn’t want word to get out to the others, though.

We have the hostile hostel over here.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

"Hostile hostel"? :135:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Queen K wrote:You're a prime example of how I'd love to have a guest room. Drive on down, check out the local sights, go harass Bpeep, steal her taters at 3 am, come back, laugh and laugh...and you can skeedadle when you feel the traffic is good for gettin' home.

Yes, garden raiding. Haven't done that for a few decades. Bpeep's a lush target.

Why would I want to go home? Think of all the fun we can have snowshoeing this and every winter, and apple blossom viewing in spring months.
Last edited by Catsumi on Aug 29th, 2018, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh heck, I'll throw a hot plate in the shed suite and hook up an enclosed outdoor shower.

Yer in.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Queen - she'll never leave!
I have known ppl in cottage country who would have like 12 ppl show up Friday night - empty handed and hungry.
Freeload the weekend, then back to the City. Have to hid out in your own home
I have the space to host, just not the patience for most to stay. When they call to announce they are arriving give them a list of Hotels and numbers so they can book their rooms. :)
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

My Nephew from SK reaches out to my daughter for the first time since his mom passed away more than 15 years ago (they're both 21). Another cousin from his dad's side (another whom daughter has never met) is moving to Kelowna for school and he's going to be coming out lots. Hmmmmmmmmmm… I'm thinking it is a good thing daughter rents a bedroom and does not have extra space for houseguests.
tremendous

Post by tremendous »

You all sound awful, so perhaps not surprising your friends and family would also be awful.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

tremendous wrote:You all sound awful.

Yup, that's why so many come to visit!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

tremendous wrote:You all sound awful, so perhaps not surprising your friends and family would also be awful.

Freeload every chance you can get, do you?
SuperMom
Board Meister

Post by SuperMom »

Our house guests over the years have been rare and thankfully so. Our house is a reasonable size, but all the bedrooms are occupied. Our family of five shares one bathroom, and there is no guest room. Not even a hide-a-bed anymore! A good portion of our extended families already live in the area, while the rest live too far away to visit or simply choose not to visit. That's fine by me as my home is like my Fortress of Solitude.

We have found ways to accommodate house guests in the past when necessary and not all experiences have been bad. I was not happy about being used as a babysitter for an unruly, spoiled child and dogs for hours on end, especially when I was later accused of being selfish and a "taker" and the worst person ever.

I cannot imagine ever imposing myself on acquaintances or family if I were headed to another city for a holiday, even if the offer of hospitality has been extended. If I do not know you extremely well, then I'd rather stay at a hotel or camp. In fact, if I don't know you extremely well, I wouldn't even expect getting together for coffee or a meal.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

SuperMom wrote: If I do not know you extremely well, then I'd rather stay at a hotel or camp. In fact, if I don't know you extremely well, I wouldn't even expect getting together for coffee or a meal.

This is respectful. I have a cousin who has had a timeshare at the Grand for years, haven't seen him once, and that's because we were teens the last time we hung out and feel zero obligation to reconnect.... we are all just way too busy.

Fortress of Solitude. I love it
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

W105 wrote:just wondering if anybody else has this problem living here in the Valley ??

Nope. My mom visits once a year for two days. My dad maybe two times a year. A few others, but not longer than a day or two. I've been told by others that do have problems with people overstaying their welcome that having loud sex in the living room tends to get rid of your guests. If that doesn't work, there are a dozen other ways that would work.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Queen K wrote:"Hostile hostel"? :135:

All one has to do is work gender identity, politics, and religion into discussions, and hostility is sure to follow. Poof* unwanteds gone, like magic!

Return to “Social Concerns”