What are your most controversial/extreme views?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: What are your most controversial/extreme views?

Postby Silverstarqueen » Apr 10th, 2019, 8:02 am

good-cause-girl wrote:To Ma. I am talking about the obese. If they are large due to fitness then giver nails, its a good thing. I'm talking about a human who is clearly and morbidly overweight. When my husband was in the hospital with appendix issues a woman Dr. came in on her rounds and was easily the size of a smart car, was having trouble breathing correctly and started to criticize what I fed him to make him ill. Let me say right here that in the mid 80s I took a 2 year course in night school in nutrition. 90% of all 'food' was being put into boxes and plastic and we were taught what to eat and what to feed our families. This was night school not a full medical course so I assumed, obviously incorrectly, that in actual medical school this would be a 'first cause' course.

I get what it is like to work long hard hours but seriously if you put *bleep* in your mouth you'll be unhealthy. If a Dr. or Nurse can't be bothered to at least eat properly then they are unreliable in my mind.. Not knowing how to eat means to me that you are kind of stupid. No matter where you go in life there is always a salad or grilled chicken or a veggie plate.

Its like watching someone with a gas car constantly putting in diesel.

I have a lot of life under this dress. I've made ridiculous choices. But in the long snotty run of it I knew that what I fed myself made my stamina a yes or no thing. I have run my a$$ of on 14 hour shifts with drunks and gropey hands. I even had a knife pulled on me at work. But that is life and we all have out history but when it comes to the only thing that fuels us, makes us healthy or sick I think this should be something my Doctor or Nurse should practice.

Clearly you don't understand much about metabolic problems and differences in body types. What an obese person would have to do to become relatively normal and svelte is very different from what you (or I) might need to do to accomplish the same result. Also the advice that has been given those with metabolic problems, for the last forty or fifty years has been seriously flawed. The Diabetic Association continues to tell diabetics they can and should eat 150 grams of carbs a day, or more, this for people who have systems which cannot tolerate carbohydrates. With advice like that, who needs enemies? The tests that most doctors are supposed to use, to determine those with blood sugar disorders miss about 30% of those who already have a malfunction in their metabolism. If I personally was in hospital and needed the care of an overweight doctor or nurse, I would be thrilled that they were even there to provide it. Because in the not too distant future we will soon be so short on doctors or nurses, we won't much care how much they weigh.
There are worse things than being overweight, like being ignorant and judgemental about others' medical conditions.
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Apr 11th, 2019, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandan likes this post.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 2549 posts

Postby Grandan » Apr 10th, 2019, 10:02 am

The bold face is mine, You have highlighted the misconception that pervades our society and that is fat is bad and that excersice will help you lose weight

MAPearce wrote:My bad .. I thought it was a no brainer that we ALL know there are good fats and bad fats.. Just like sugars , there are good and bad ...Same as cholesterol , good and bad .. Might as well throw salt in their too.. Good and bad .

But I guess I was going too fast in thinking that we should ALL know that by now ?? Call me stupid , everyone else does ...

I guess I was offended by , what I thought , was an attempt at "fat shaming" ...

I'll NEVER do that again ....EVER .

Don't beat yourself up too much. The science on these facts are relatively new. As you say, there are good fats and bad fats, the bad ones are manufactured from seeds and corn using the same process as the manufacture of lubricating oil for machinery.
We are not able to metabolize these oils in the same way that the more natural oils such as olive oil (cold pressed) avocado oil or coconut oils.
With sugars, the only good sugar would be that which occurs naturally within fruits because there is sufficient fibre within that food to offset the effects of sugar in your gut. Sugar is a fat storage food which spikes you insulin and tells your body to store it as fat and it does in quantity.
There is a huge amount of misinformation promoted by the Big Food conglomerates to deceive the general public in the interest of buying more of their products. A heart healthy label on a box of breakfast cereal that has in excess of 50% added sugar is a travesty.
We are fat because of the promotion of grains as a healthy food group. The science says otherwise and science has known of this for more than 20 years.
Our brain is more efficient on fat than it is on carbs. Recent testing has proved this over and over but this information is not making it to mainstream media as it should.
Waste not

kgcayenne likes this post.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1008 posts

Postby kgcayenne » Apr 10th, 2019, 10:22 am

I've gone from a size 10 to a size 4 by increasing time spent in my peak heart rate (essential for changing metabolism) and severely limiting foods that have man-made ingredients. We cook with foods, not products. Oh yeah, eating restaurant food is a no-no, also.

It is possible. My body type has metabolic disadvantages that require more work.

Work

Effort

Accountability
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

3 people like this post.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4658 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Apr 10th, 2019, 10:48 am

Glacier wrote:Normally, Clinton would have been a fairly safe bet for the Democrats, but they had two things going against them. The major one was that it's extremely hard for any party to win more than two terms in a row, and the other is that they ran an establishment candidate against a populist.

Had Clinton faced Cruz, she would have won, but had Cruz won the Republican nomination, he would have beat the populist Sanders. And had Sanders faced Trump, Sanders would have won.

Is this the game-plan that the Russians gave you? :biggrin:
Justin Trudeau or Kathleen Wynne - who was the bigger troglodyte?
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 24212 posts

Postby GordonH » Apr 10th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Here is something very controversial:

The sun is warm, the grass is green.

:laugh:
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence

normaM likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9082 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby kgcayenne » Apr 10th, 2019, 1:37 pm

GordonH wrote:Here is something very controversial:

The sun is warm, the grass is green.

:laugh:

Sun: exceedingly hot ball-o-plasma
Grass: not always green
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4658 posts

Postby Ka-El » Apr 11th, 2019, 9:02 am

kgcayenne wrote: Grass: not always green

Except at Augusta :smt045
Damn autocorrect; I'm sick and tired of your shirt.

4 people like this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 6881 posts

Postby Glacier » Apr 12th, 2019, 4:52 pm

The laws around when we must switch over our tires are totally unworkable and stupid to follow. Use common sense and totally ignore the law. If it's +30C in April and you're heading to the coast, switch over to summer tires -- the law be damned.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

seewood likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12746 posts

Postby seewood » Apr 12th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Glacier wrote:The laws around when we must switch over our tires are totally unworkable and stupid to follow. Use common sense and totally ignore the law. If it's +30C in April and you're heading to the coast, switch over to summer tires -- the law be damned.

Did just that this week with wife's Cross-Trek. New summers and her drive down yesterday was completely uneventful. Lots of rain coming down to Hope and all the way to Van...as usual.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1653 posts

Postby Verum » Apr 18th, 2019, 1:33 am

If you are being a troll, or otherwise behaving in an intentionally inflammatory manner, trying to trigger people, etc. it doesn't matter if you are doing so for fun, to get a rise, etc. you're just as much a jerk. If you defend the indefensible, just to see the reactions by others, you are no better than the person who defends the indefensible with all their heart.
*Devil's advocate, when clearly and honestly performed excepted.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1598 posts

Postby LANDM » Apr 18th, 2019, 7:07 am

two_shoes1mit wrote:Make our public schools great again: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Teach children basic math and grammer. Eliminate google instruction and calculators. Teachers managed before, they can manage again. When the "plug is pulled" they won't have a chance at functioning as thinking human beings. Leave sex education out of the schools, leave alternative sexual preferences out of schools. Rate teacher performance, just like it is in other parts of the workforce. You do a poor job - your out. ..

The irony in this paragraph is fascinating.

Also, I am amused at your comment about leaving sex education out of schools. You do know this isn’t a recent change don’t you? This would certainly roll back the clock many decades and result in a lot of unwanted pregnancies. But, at least you could match it up with the pro-lifers who want to force people to have the unwanted babies.
The folks that are against sex education are likely the ones who will do the worst job of explaining it to their kids themselves.

3 people like this post.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 4438 posts

Postby Ka-El » Apr 18th, 2019, 11:20 am

LANDM wrote: The folks that are against sex education are likely the ones who will do the worst job of explaining it to their kids themselves.

I think that would be almost guaranteed. :smt045
Damn autocorrect; I'm sick and tired of your shirt.

2 people like this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 6881 posts

Postby JONES-COOK » Apr 18th, 2019, 5:43 pm

This question, "What are your most controversial/extreme views?"
Gets answered with this question
By whose reckoning?
As an elder I see those with minds so narrow that they look through keyholes with both eyes.

That established,
To many the following topic is on of controversy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0bH6Z_OSp8

Pot TV
Published on May 29, 2014
Chris Bennett takes a look at the fascinating references to cannabis, under the Hebrew name 'kaneh bosm' (spelling - qoph nun he' - bet shim mem) in the Old Testament text that have been suggested by anthropologist Sula Benet and other researchers, with interviews from Prof Carl Ruck, Dr. Ethan Russo, David Hillman PhD., as well as drug historians and authors Chris Conrad, Michael Horowitz, Martin Lee, and Michael Aldrich. Included is a discussion of the linguistics behind the theory as well as a look at the references in context of the Biblical story line and the use of cannabis by the surrounding cultures who influenced the Jewish cosmology, such as the Assyrians, Babylonians, Persians, Canaanites and Scythians.

Produced by
www.urbanshaman.net
www.kush.ca
JONES-COOK

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Grandan » Apr 19th, 2019, 11:01 am

kgcayenne wrote:I've gone from a size 10 to a size 4 by increasing time spent in my peak heart rate (essential for changing metabolism) and severely limiting foods that have man-made ingredients. We cook with foods, not products. Oh yeah, eating restaurant food is a no-no, also.

It is possible. My body type has metabolic disadvantages that require more work.

Work

Effort

Accountability

There is no need to push too hard on the exercise because because that alone will not do it. Keeping carbohydrates low (50 g/ day or less will do that more than anything. It is a proven fact that humans can survive without carbs because the body manufactures all the sugar you need for metabolic function.
I sounds like you are on the right track with real food, greener the better. Many humans are carbohydrate resistant which brings on obesity, type II diabetes, heart disease liver and kidney dysfunction and neurological disorders such as dementia and Alzheimer desease. Add to that the problems brought on from seed oils that are manufactured to appeal to modern tastes and you arrive at the crux of a modern health care crisis.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1008 posts

Postby MAPearce » Apr 19th, 2019, 2:53 pm

Don't beat yourself up too much.

Grandan , don't worry.. I don't ...

But , the minute SSQ invites herself to my "party" I shut 'er down....

I'm not a squishy flake that makes excuses. I'm the type that just does it ,then brags openly about being able to ..

Perhaps THAT is MY most "extreme" view..
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4906 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns